Sponsored

Bug or Design Intent

silby1383

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Fun guessing game on if it is a bug or design intent(sarcasm)
1) You can change the height to 13.5 inches in All Purpose mode, however the second you start driving it lowers it to 11.9" and doesn't return. Why allow people to select that?
2) Turning on auto high beams setting isn't sticky and turns off for subsequent rides
3) You can't put anything in the front passenger seat without tripping the sensor and alerting you to fasten the passenger seatbelt
4) Very annoying that the Gear Guard screen presents itself everytime you get in the truck. Also, have to reboot the truck occasionally to get the gear guard to work again.
5) Every now and then the phone will unlock the truck, but when you get in it says no key found. You have to get out and lock it and unlock it and try again.

Don't get me wrong - I love the truck. My wife even said it is the best vehicle she has ever been in. I am fearful that she is going to take it from me!
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

3) you have a gazillion other places to put something
5) I haven't had that issue at all. Any time I need to pull my phone out of the pocket (IE the truck doesn't unlock when I am standing next to it), it's just to launch the rivian app and then it's fine for everything after that.

Gabe1aron

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
There is no reason why you can’t put stuff in the passenger seat and perhaps the weight sensitivity can be changed by Rivian so that not everything sets off that sensor.
Also, new vehicles have lots of small bugs that need to be addressed. It helps if you send feedback to Rivian so that they can be addressed with OTA updates.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
This is such a great truck. Can’t wait to see it evolve and get these improvements.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
3) You can't put anything in the front passenger seat without tripping the sensor and alerting you to fasten the passenger seatbelt
This is a common issue in many cars, depending on what you mean by anything. My car will generate the same alert if there is anything of significant weight, like a bag of groceries.

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

auto lights and auto high beams should be sticky, that isn't a bug but not designed properly.
Passenger seat sensor, what can you, it isn't just rivian but others too.
Phone key is a bug

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
This is a common issue in many cars, depending on what you mean by anything. My car will generate the same alert if there is anything of significant weight, like a bag of groceries.
Passenger seat sensor, what can you, it isn't just rivian but others too.
This is NOT normal.

Perhaps I've been lucky with my vehicles, but it is absolutely not common for the passenger seat to erroneously think a person is occupying it.

Seat sensors have been advanced enough for several years to differentiate between a sack of groceries and a person.

It typically takes an object weight of at least 65 or 80 lbs to trigger the sensor depending on the make and model.

If the Rivian sensor is triggered by a purse, backpack, or other light objects... Something ain't right.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If the Rivian sensor is triggered by a purse, backpack, or other light objects... Something ain't right.
I've had a hammer upset presence sensors before. Pretty light but very direct weight.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
There are two different types of sensors in common use that I've seen. The typical weight sensor, and a low-level electric capacitance field. Both have pros and cons.

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
1) You can change the height to 13.5 inches in All Purpose mode, however the second you start driving it lowers it to 11.9" and doesn't return. Why allow people to select that?
2) Turning on auto high beams setting isn't sticky and turns off for subsequent rides
4) Very annoying that the Gear Guard screen presents itself everytime you get in the truck. Also, have to reboot the truck occasionally to get the gear guard to work again.
5) Every now and then the phone will unlock the truck, but when you get in it says no key found. You have to get out and lock it and unlock it and try again.

Don't get me wrong - I love the truck. My wife even said it is the best vehicle she has ever been in. I am fearful that she is going to take it from me!
1) I think you can set this by disabling the setting for lowering automatically for aero, but I'm not sure. I have noticed the truck will change the height depending on driving conditions and doesn't seem to return to the previous manually selected setting.

2&4&5) I agree, with all your points. The worst part IMO about the Gear Guard is that it makes the dynamic button on the quick bar always gear guard, which is totally useless. I'd like to see that last button have an option to "stick" rather than be whatever you last picked.

The good news is that these are all easily resolved with software updates. When we picked up our EARLY Tesla M3, we didn't even have auto high beams or wipers. Took6 months before they finally got them right. I have full confidence the updates will come as they get more feedback from and ever growing list of customers in real world driving situations.

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

This is NOT normal.

Perhaps I've been lucky with my vehicles, but it is absolutely not common for the passenger seat to erroneously think a person is occupying it.

Seat sensors have been advanced enough for several years to differentiate between a sack of groceries and a person.

It typically takes an object weight of at least 65 or 80 lbs to trigger the sensor depending on the make and model.

The purpose of the sensor isn't just to read 65lbs but something smaller that shouldn't be there but is. I have a 2020 vehicle that anything close to 25lbs sets it off. Should 1lb set it off, now but anything that could be a small child should set it off.

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

This is NOT normal.

If the sensors in your previous vehicles are not triggering till 65-80lbs then something is very wrong with them. The rules around the airbag sensors is that manufacturers must account for passengers of different weights that may be in the front seats and adjust the airbag deployment accordingly. If there is enough weight in the front seat to deactivate the front passenger airbag, then there is enough weight to activate the front passenger seatbelt reminder.

The interesting thing to note here with these NHTSA rules for passenger seatbelt reminders and airbag deactivation sensors, is that they are entirely left up to the manufacturer to decide at what weight to implement them providing they are designing their sensors to accommodate a 12-month-old infant, a three-year-old toddler, a six-year-old child, and a 5th-percentile woman, (a person with a height of 64 inches and a weight of 108 pounds) then they are golden, and its left up to each manufacture to decide how they go about this.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

5) I haven't had that issue at all. Any time I need to pull my phone out of the pocket (IE the truck doesn't unlock when I am standing next to it), it's just to launch the rivian app and then it's fine for everything after that.
Um...sure you have a gazillion but what's wrong with putting things in the front seat and NOT triggering the seatbelt sensor?

My parents can do that in their $18,000 2015 Honda FIt, I would hope you should be able to do that in an $80,000 2022 R1T.

That is something that likely could be addressed via software update and it should.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Thank you for tracking and reporting on all these annoyances. You and everyone else with a beta, I mean early, build R1T are doing god's work!

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
If the sensors in your previous vehicles are not triggering till 65-80lbs then something is very wrong with them.
Nope. They are designed this way. Look up a couple manufactures, and you will see. I'm not going to spend my time re-googling info already available if you care to look. Those examples I gave you are current thresholds of 2 major car makers.
Sponsored