Sponsored

Brand new R1T, just drove over a screw—questions about tire servicing

gutsack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2020 Tesla Model Y
[Hi folks, apologize if this question has been asked before but I tried to find recent info and couldn't.]

Yesterday I drove over a screw in my brand new R1T and immediately got a pressure notification. Went from 48 to 24 during the drive (did not have a choice but to slowly continue, as I was picking up a sick kiddo from school). My question is whether or not I should assume tire repair places around here can handle a Rivian, or if there's anything in specific I should know/do. I figured I'd print out the relevant pages of the user guide, but I'm a little nervous they'll just throw the truck up on a lift without possibly doing it in a way that Rivian requires to avoid damage. (Also concerned they might turn me away without the pucks.)

Since this is a brand new tire (less than 300 miles), I was really hoping to avoid replacing it—can I even replace a single tire via Rivian? Seems like they sell them in a set of 4 only—but to do that they'll need to patch and plug, and that means lifting and removing the wheel.

Any advice? Also, is this something I should try to reach out to Rivian for first? Here in Portland there is no service center, so I'm not sure it would help much.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Lots of tire shops should be able to plug your tire. Just call around, any place that services big trucks should be able to handle yours.

OP
OP
gutsack

gutsack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of tire shops should be able to plug your tire. Just call around, any place that services big trucks should be able to handle yours.
Yeah, plug I think would be fine for any shop to do since they don't have to lift it. But how long do you think a plug would last on the 21-inch road tires? (The screw is in the flat tread area, not the sidewall.)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah, plug I think would be fine for any shop to do since they don't have to lift it. But how long do you think a plug would last on the 21-inch road tires? (The screw is in the flat tread area, not the sidewall.)
A plug from a reputable shop usually lasts the life of the tire. Only the shop is going to be able to tell you if it's repairable.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

They can plug the tire without pucks, by removing the panel near the wheel
They will want to take the pressure off the tire to plug it in place, which can readily be done by removing the plastic panel for the frame where the wheel is located (simple).

1. Put the Rivian in the high position.
2. From infotainment A. Settings. B. Vehicle. C. Service. D. Tire Change. After screw is done, simply unselect Tire Change. You are done.

Get our magnetic jack puck kit. If you order today I'll have it there by Friday (I'll pay for expedited shipping).

Mark

Sponsored

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Tire shop guy in previous life here - find a place that will patch not plug. Plugs are the quick and dirty fix that may or may not last.

Patches are the right way to do it.

But hey, a plug could also last for the life of the tire.

Did you get the full size spare? If so, use the included jack.

If not, discount tire was recommended to me by rivian as supposedly being the chosen partner. I'm not sure if that means they have the pucks or not...

I just went through this with my 21" a few weeks ago and was damn glad I had the full spare; it was a problem trying to locate the tire.

And it was a $600 tire (not repairable).

After that, I talked with Rivian and they mentioned asking for mobile service (they indicated no known service distance limitation) and they generally have the tires.

RTChiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Clubs

[Hi folks, apologize if this question has been asked before but I tried to find recent info and couldn't.]

Yesterday I drove over a screw in my brand new R1T and immediately got a pressure notification. Went from 48 to 24 during the drive (did not have a choice but to slowly continue, as I was picking up a sick kiddo from school). My question is whether or not I should assume tire repair places around here can handle a Rivian, or if there's anything in specific I should know/do. I figured I'd print out the relevant pages of the user guide, but I'm a little nervous they'll just throw the truck up on a lift without possibly doing it in a way that Rivian requires to avoid damage. (Also concerned they might turn me away without the pucks.)

Since this is a brand new tire (less than 300 miles), I was really hoping to avoid replacing it—can I even replace a single tire via Rivian? Seems like they sell them in a set of 4 only—but to do that they'll need to patch and plug, and that means lifting and removing the wheel.

Any advice? Also, is this something I should try to reach out to Rivian for first? Here in Portland there is no service center, so I'm not sure it would help much.
I got a puncture few months ago - took it to our local Rivian SC - $500 to change single tire (22 in) - they said it had to be changed. So Rivian service does the change of tire but make sure it does need to be changed before you take it there .. get it repaired if possible rather than change..

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Tire shop guy in previous life here - find a place that will patch not plug. Plugs are the quick and dirty fix that may or may not last.

Patches are the right way to
Yes, DO NOT do a plug. Go to Discount Tire and have them do a proper patch. Be aware, if the puncture is on or near the sidewall, you'll end up with a new tire.

Side note. Plugging can rip tire cords and once do it the tire can't be patched afterwards. Sometimes plugs work forever, a lot of the times they don't.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
In Arizona it is illegal to use plugs, tire shops only do patches.

OP
OP
gutsack

gutsack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
An update on this: Took it to Discount Tire last week who said they could patch it, got there and they didn't have the jack pucks and refused to do it the remove-the-panels way. They sent me to another nearby Discount Tire because that location had jack pucks, but when I got there, they had "misplaced them". Rivian service said it would be a tire replacement if I took it to them. Instead I ordered jack pucks and I'm headed BACK to Discount Tire tomorrow to finally (hopefully!) get it patched.
Sponsored