F John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica
Occupation
Business owner
Hi there,
I took delivery yesterday of my Rivian R1T. In San Francisco. I dropped it at Matson in the port of Oakland to ship it to Oahu. They made me drive the truck around until the battery was at 66%. Whey won’t accept a ev with more than a 65% charge.
I left it in shipping mode with the doors unlocked and the key inside the car.

I left the battery charged to 66%.

It will be moved onto the ship around November 6th and the earliest I can pick it Up is November 20th in Honolulu.

Will the battery maintain enough charge to make it through that length of time/the journey?

Thank you.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I lose 1.1kWh per day in Shipping mode.

You may lose 15-20kWh between the 6th and 20th, you should be fine if you start off at 65%.

For longer duration journeys people have disconnected the 12V batt(s) and that stopped Vampire drain almost completely.

OP
OP

Foggydew

First Name
F John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica
Occupation
Business owner
Hope I was clear- I am already back in hawaii. Truck Is parked at dock now. Will not get charged again btn now and nov 20th at earliest.
You think no charging btn today and nov 20th ok?
Thanks!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Sorry, I misread the dates...

So you dropped it off at the dock yesterday the 26th with a 65% charge which should be approximately 87kWh energy left assuming the 135kWh large pack.
You will have access on Nov 20th which is 26 days later, so at 1.1kWh/day loss you could lose 29kWh of energy.

87kWh-29kWh = 58kWh left in the large pack on Nov 20th if you lose 1.1kWh/day in Shipping mode.
58kWh remaining would put you at about 43% State of Charge or about 125mi range.

You should be good as long as the main battery keeps maintaining the 12V battery.

OP
OP

Foggydew

First Name
F John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica
Occupation
Business owner
Thank you! I will ask Rivian does the main battery keep maintaining the 12 volt?

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thank you! I will ask Rivian does the main battery keep maintaining the 12 volt?
It is supposed to, but there have been issues in the past.
If your vehicle is brand new with a recent build date (found on the driver door B Pillar) you should have the new single 12V battery system which is less prone to issues compared to the older dual 12v battery system.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

If they have to move the truck will they put it back in shipping mode? If they don't put it in shipping mode your losses may be higher. If its 26 days even 2 kwh per day may be ok but if its 3 kwh that's getting into danger zone..

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
Hey Foggydew- Gman here,Hanalei, Kauai- as long as you put in ship mode you will be fine if shipped as you say with 66%. Shipped R1T over to Kauai in late May. 26 days due to outer island- arrived with 47% or so. A friend shipped his 2 months ago to Kauai, departed with 35% - shipping mode and arrived 25 days later with 10%.. Neither one of us had 12 volt issues. My daughter in law lives in Hawaii Kai- shipped R1S in April. Arrived fine but after they downloaded .30 update their 12 volts died. That was a couple days after arrival. The threads you read regarding 12 volt issues appear to me to be after the .30 update. Not many new issues in threads recently regarding 12 volt issues. You are goin to be just fine. You can call Matson customer service located in PHX and they were really helpful and nice to me the 3 or 4 calls I made to them requesting location of barge during the trip. Couldn’t pick a better vehicle to have in HI, especially if you have solar. No more gas lines and $6 gas.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
For those HI Rivian owners not aware, a service center is on the way next year. Until then you are on your own.

I also understand that HI electric utility companies charge around $.47 cents per kWh for residential users. Is this true?

“Kamehameha Schools welcomes Rivian to its tenant ‘ohana in Kapālama Kai, as the electric vehicle manufacturer prepares to open its first service center in Hawai‘i by the summer of 2024.

Located a block from Dillingham Plaza at 1603 Dillingham Boulevard, the 15,181-square-foot facility will be fully equipped to manage vehicle deliveries, along with comprehensive bumper-to-bumper maintenance and repairs for Rivian’s R1 vehicles and commercial vans.”

Last edited:

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
Yup- until then pretty sure they will continue to send mainlander service tech on a quarterly basis for all islands.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
For those HI Rivian owners not aware, a service center is on the way next year. Until then you are on your own.

I also understand that HI electric utility companies charge around $.47 cents per kWh for residential users. Is this true?

“Kamehameha Schools welcomes Rivian to its tenant ‘ohana in Kapālama Kai, as the electric vehicle manufacturer prepares to open its first service center in Hawai‘i by the summer of 2024.

Located a block from Dillingham Plaza at 1603 Dillingham Boulevard, the 15,181-square-foot facility will be fully equipped to manage vehicle deliveries, along with comprehensive bumper-to-bumper maintenance and repairs for Rivian’s R1 vehicles and commercial vans.”
Hopefully when they add enough solar and wind power prices will come down. It’s expensive to import diesel for power.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
At nearly $.50 per kWh HI electric rates are not cheap. I guess it’s one of the prices you pay for living in paradise.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla

Depends which island. Oahu is around 40 cents. It peaked around 47 earlier this year. It goes up and down based on oil prices. Our rates trail oil prices by about 3-4 months as the utility buys the oil months in advance. So they'll be coming up a few more cents shortly. Generally it's about the same or a little more expensive to drive an EV on Oahu than a comparable gas vehicle. But more and more people are getting solar and the payback on production is only about 5-6 years. After that you have almost free electricity for the house and your EV for another 15-20 years or so until the system needs replacement. This makes owning EVs in Hawaii a total no brainer. But if you own or live in a condo EVs are a much tougher sell. We've had solar for many years; it has paid itself off 2-3X already. We also have two EVs which run entirely off the sun. Without PV our electric bill would be over $900/mo. We currently pay about $45/mo

Smeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (Quad Motor, Granite
Occupation
physician
It is supposed to, but there have been issues in the past.
If your vehicle is brand new with a recent build date (found on the driver door B Pillar) you should have the new single 12V battery system which is less prone to issues compared to the older dual 12v battery system.
which build dates came with a single 12v?

any theories on why a single 12v is less prone to this issue than dual?

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs