Basics coming unglued at Rivian?

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 1983 Defender, 1999 Defender, Tesla Model 3
Just curious if anyone is having issues with Rivian getting the basics done. I have been a very happy owner for last two months and absolutely love the truck. But now am getting no response and runaround for a basic service appointment to address a few issues that we intentionally left open until local service center is running, which it is now per a call from them. And now I am getting nastygrams for last month from DMV that my old car I traded in is not insured. Which means two months and they have not completed plates transfer. Wonder if their processes and staffing is lagging the deliveries and they just can’t handle even the number of cars that were delivered.
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: Max

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Entirely believable at this stage of operations.

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
I purposely decided not to transfer my tags for this reason. Maryland has some hefty fines for not having insurance on a car that is tagged. I turned in my tags and then canceled the insurance on my trade in to avoid these issues.
It took them seven weeks to get my tags and it appears that they outsourced it to a company called General Systems Solutions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jiri

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 1983 Defender, 1999 Defender, Tesla Model 3
Yeah. I have had issues with MD after me for unisured vehicle that was stripped down for restoration and off the road. At this point I had to give my lawyer a heads up on it. If I get hit with fines because of it, I am in for a fight with Rivian.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Just curious if anyone is having issues with Rivian getting the basics done. I have been a very happy owner for last two months and absolutely love the truck. But now am getting no response and runaround for a basic service appointment to address a few issues that we intentionally left open until local service center is running, which it is now per a call from them. And now I am getting nastygrams for last month from DMV that my old car I traded in is not insured. Which means two months and they have not completed plates transfer. Wonder if their processes and staffing is lagging the deliveries and they just can’t handle even the number of cars that were delivered.
It appears that Rivian is copying the bad parts of Tesla too.

When I purchased my Tesla, it took Tesla 4 months to get me my plates. The temporary tags are only good for 3 weeks, so I kept going back every 3 weeks asking for an update. Each time they would give me new temp tag (which is illegal under state law) and say they were waiting on the DMV to process the paperwork. Turns out that seems to have been a lie, when they finally got me my tags, I could see from the paperwork that a Tesla employee went into the nearest DMV office in person and walked out with the tags that same day. And then took another week to put those tags in the mail. By waiting on the DMV, they meant waiting for someone to have time to go to the DMV and then waiting for funds to buy some stamps. I could also see in that paperwork that they had charged me more for registration than what registration actually cost. When I complained they said they would mail me a check, which they did, but I suspect they would not have if I hadn't complained.

Zstarchild

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Maryland’s process around returning plates is horrible. I doubt it’s Rivians fault. I returned plates last year and had to sit through hours of calling to verify they were returned and fight a BS “lapse in insurance” penalty, FWIW

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
I have had my R1T for 8 weeks and still no title.

When I inquired as to the delay a couple of weeks ago I was told that the registration team had already completed and sent the forms in. Figuring that the state was slow in issuing the title, I checked with my local DMV and was told that they have not received anything from Rivian. What?

I checked back with my guide this week who advised that the 'registration team' had sent the forms to a 'third party vendor' for processing and estimate that I should receive the title in another 4-6 weeks.

No explanation on why it is taking 12-14 weeks to process the paperwork for the title.

I pointed out that the original temporary tags will expire before the title is estimated to arrive and will need a new temporary tag. My guide is looking into that for me.

Curious if this is a wide spread problem for those who have already taken delivery or if OP and myself are just exceptions?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This could be a local DMV backup as well.

I ordered a speciality plate in CA beginning of last year, in the past it has taken 8 to 12 weeks to get one. The estimate on my receipt was 8 to 12 weeks. They should have said months as it took 11 months for the plates to arrive.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Your question assumes that things were at one point glued together. IMO Rivian is still trying to piece it together and having some growing pains. I am sure they will get better and I sense a genuine desire to get things right but it just isn't there yet... best advice is try to be patient and send your guide semi-frequent requests for an update about pending issues.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Not registration related.... but for the second day in a row I got the "sign your Finance Agreement" email (step 6) which I already did a week ago. I'm done through step 8 with delivery tomorrow.

I called the Rivian hotline again (since my guide has yet to answer a call or return a voicemessage) and they said to just ignore it. Same answer I got yesterday when the first duplicate email arrived.

Just not a positive sign to me.

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
Your question assumes that things were at one point glued together. IMO Rivian is still trying to piece it together and having some growing pains. I am sure they will get better and I sense a genuine desire to get things right but it just isn't there yet... best advice is try to be patient and send your guide semi-frequent requests for an update about pending issues.
Yes, this has been my process all along. You have to account for the fact that not only are the guides new to their job, but EVERYONE is new. Patience is a big part of being a Rivian owner or order holder at this stage. Trust but verify.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
When I inquired as to the delay a couple of weeks ago I was told that the registration team had already completed and sent the forms in. Figuring that the state was slow in issuing the title, I checked with my local DMV and was told that they have not received anything from Rivian. What?
I sold one of my vehicles to my daughter. The DMV "lost" the title twice, claiming they'd never received it, and each time refused to accept the signed proof-of-delivery-receipt as, well, proof they had the title. It took her several months to finally get a properly registered vehicle. She even got pulled over for the expired tag after a few months, and had all her paperwork ready for the popo, and all they did is shake their head and tell her to have a nice day. DMVs, at least in SC, have not gotten better in a purely administrative task they've had decades to optimize.

That said, I think I'll just do the whole registration and tag thing myself, not trusting anyone after her experience and having all the documents in my grubby little hands while waiting in the grumbling line.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not registration related.... but for the second day in a row I got the "sign your Finance Agreement" email (step 6) which I already did a week ago. I'm done through step 8 with delivery tomorrow.

I called the Rivian hotline again (since my guide has yet to answer a call or return a voicemessage) and they said to just ignore it. Same answer I got yesterday when the first duplicate email arrived.

Just not a positive sign to me.
Funny - I received a new Finance Agreement the business day before my delivery was rescheduled. The only difference was the first payment date had been pushed back.

I emailed my guide and pointed out I already signed one three weeks earlier. She confirmed the first one was terminated and I needed to sign the new one before delivery.
Sponsored