Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Autoweek

"But the Rivian, for its part, worked flawlessly, even in rock crawling, through deep sand, over washboard roads, and across miles and miles of Interstate. You can set the drive mode on the big central screen and the car reacts.

For sand and off-road it rises up, for highways it hunkers down. There are eight drive modes, four for on road, four for off. The modes “let drivers adjust ride height, suspension stiffness, accelerator pedal response, all-wheel drive and more to optimize for comfort, efficiency or performance in virtually any terrain,” Rivian boasts.

On our trip we went 1413 miles that included everything a car brochure might offer, and the Rivian never faltered."
Sponsored

Neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Expedition Max LTD, 2020 Volvo XC60
nothing earth shattering, but it makes for a nice easy read. The author appears to have enjoyed the vehicle.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

A report like that from Autoweek will sell some trucks.

Brian

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I think all of us here already knew ...but the autoweek article will get the info in front of more folks which is good for Rivian. This is part of the reason why Rivian is struggling to turn a profit a little longer....its because they made a vehicle that does it all! Its more expensive to make a vehicle like that and its clear Rivian didn't "cheap out" on components. Rivian has a bright future ahead of it.

Tesla took several years to catch on. Even in 2021 you didn't see all that many Tesla Model 3 or Y here in Maryland. Now just two years later they are EVERYWHERE. It takes a bit but I feel Rivian is going to be the same way...especially once they get the R2 product launched.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Friend saw my R1 for the first time and didn't have a clue who Rivian was. The "build it and they will come" mentality needs to evolve to the next stage of marketing. This is a great American story that most of America is not aware of.

Sponsored

darren1f

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, MB 560SL, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Consultant
Friend saw my R1 for the first time and didn't have a clue who Rivian was. The "build it and they will come" mentality needs to evolve to the next stage of marketing. This is a great American story that most of America is not aware of.
Exactly. My neighbors were fascinated with our R1S and poked all around. The power frunk really amazed them. Those who know, know. But there are still a lot of prospective buyers with $ to spend who would love one of these, though don't follow this all very closely.

snrblink

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S; 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
System Engineer/Applied Mathematician/Applied Physicist
Clubs

That is actually my R1S. Mark Vaughn, the author convinced me to go through with my purchase despite my initial misgivings. In return, I convinced him to go with me on this ill-thought-out excursion. (We were not sure whether we were going to go until he tested negative for COVID multiple times. Last minute packing meant I forgot to take my optics for viewing the eclipse 😗) He will be flattered to know he wields that much influence over the general population to persuade someone to buy a Rivian.

I do not recommend doing this trip in one day: our original plan of two days to get to Escalante would have been much less problematic.
We did get surprisingly good mileage, even with the spare tire in the roof rack. All-in all, I am glad he convinced me to go through with my purchase.
Rivian R1T R1S Autoweek review from the desert: Rivian R1S SUV Eclipses the Competition IMG_3435

snrblink

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S; 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
System Engineer/Applied Mathematician/Applied Physicist
Clubs

Sure, Weistec/DCE (Direct Current Engineering). They are located in Anaheim, California . Weistec.com; (877)-934-7832
Sponsored