First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I know some people are anxious about the AC charging speeds with the Rivian. This may be a solution for some folks. You'll obviously need to do your own research on if it would work for you, but United Chargers (Grizzl-e) is coming out with a 25kW charger that they say will be the most affordable on the market. Just figured I'd let people know of a potential option.

"store will be updated with all prices and configuration details next week. 25 KW DC Fast charger is the fastest DC charger you can get WITHOUT paying demand charges to your Utility for power availability, with great price point it makes economic sense. "

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Would be interesting to see what the specs are...

Rough calculations, 25kW DC, assuming you drive it from AC 240V with a 90% inverter, would need 150+ AC Amps.

Most houses only have a single 200A service panel, a single circuit taking over 50% of the capacity wouldn't seem to be a good idea...unless you only charge when there is low demand (e.g. at night).

Probably a better solution for people with 300, 400 AMP service.

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
"Most affordable" could be $10K for the hardware as a frame of reference.
The electrical service to support it is also a consideration - you will need the capability to add a 165A circuit/breaker to your panel.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
"Most affordable" could be $10K for the hardware as a frame of reference.
The electrical service to support it is also a consideration - you will need the capability to add a 165A circuit/breaker to your panel.
That is a considerable amount of juice... I would recommend taking the feed from the neighbors panel if possible.
in all seriousness though nice find @SeaGeo.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
just makes me wish for 600v 3 phase to my house.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
just makes me wish for 600v 3 phase to my house.
Yeah, it'll be curious what their specs are. I think someone found a 25kW charger that didn't require 3 phase. Guess we wl see in about two weeks.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yeah, it'll be curious what their specs are. I think someone found a 25kW charger that didn't require 3 phase. Guess we wl see in about two weeks.
Anything is possible, just apply money!

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
s0 0n, they say

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

their duo charger is pretty cool unit if you have multiple EV's at home, https://grizzl-e.com/product/usa/duo/grizzl-e-duo/
Not bad if you have a spot to put it between vehicles. I use two JuiceBox 40s with their load-sharing system enabled (set to share 50A on a 60A circuit) one on each side of the garage. It works fine for our i3 + Model S now, I imagine it should continue to work fine when one of those gets replaced with the R1T. But if we had a situation where the post could be in between the vehicles, the Duo would make sense. No finicky "Load Group" setup like we have to deal with on the JuiceBox..

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
I'm really hoping the max pack also comes with more onboard charging capability so I can use the higher delivery capability of my Tesla wall charger on it.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I'm really hoping the max pack also comes with more onboard charging capability so I can use the higher delivery capability of my Tesla wall charger on it.
Isn't Tesla wall charger 48A? That's the same as Rivian's onboard charger

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Not bad if you have a spot to put it between vehicles. I use two JuiceBox 40s with their load-sharing system enabled (set to share 50A on a 60A circuit) one on each side of the garage. It works fine for our i3 + Model S now, I imagine it should continue to work fine when one of those gets replaced with the R1T. But if we had a situation where the post could be in between the vehicles, the Duo would make sense. No finicky "Load Group" setup like we have to deal with on the JuiceBox..
You should set load sharing to 48A. A 60A breaker should be derated to 80% to insure you don’t risk an overload of the circuit.
Sponsored