Arizona pre-orders

KarTruck

First Name
Abhi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Monster S2R
Anybody on this thread that has taken delivery - did you have to take additional steps to apply for the blue plates or does the default Rivian process result in getting the blue plates?
Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Anybody on this thread that has taken delivery - did you have to take additional steps to apply for the blue plates or does the default Rivian process result in getting the blue plates?
I had the same question today!

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Still waiting on my Rivian, but I've bought 4 Teslas and a LEAF in Arizona in the past 11 years and they've all automatically come with the blue plates. I'm pretty sure the DMV will automatically recognize all Rivian vehicles as alternative fuel vehicles.

KarTruck

First Name
Abhi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Monster S2R
Still waiting on my Rivian, but I've bought 4 Teslas and a LEAF in Arizona in the past 11 years and they've all automatically come with the blue plates. I'm pretty sure the DMV will automatically recognize all Rivian vehicles as alternative fuel vehicles.
Thanks - I hope that’s how it works.

DougAz

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks - I hope that’s how it works.
That will be the case this year as AZ has the reduced plate fee, but that goes away in 2023. The only benefit left after that with blue plates might be HOV lane. Maybe AZ is taking that away as well. It has been a while since I read that in DOT website.

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Rivian issues temporary Illinois 90 day plates in AZ and in most other States, while they try to get their act together on being a local dealer.......I'm six weeks into ownership and no sign of any plates and on the MVD site here in AZ, my Rivian doesn't exist yet.....then again, I don't have my full size spare either.....

I need the Rivian to exist so I can order personalized Blue Plates.....I imagine the original registration will get me blue plates...but who knows......

Last edited:

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Rivian issues temporary Illinois 90 day plates in AZ and in most other States, while they try to get their act together on being a local dealer.......I'm six weeks into ownership and no sign of any plates and on the MVD site here in AZ, my Rivian doesn't exist yet.....then again, I don't have my full size spare either.....

I need the Rivian to exist so I can order personalized Blue Plates.....I imagine the original registration will get me blue plates...but who knows......
Huh - that's good to know. I didn't realize temp Illinois plates were issued. All the other EV's I have purchased in Arizona came with temp AZ plates, then the blue plates showed up a couple weeks later.

Last summer, I tired to take advantage of the car rental shortage and bought a used car here in AZ and shipped it to my vacation house in Hawaii for the sole purpose of putting in on Turo (It was an epic fail, but that's a story for another time). Anyway, it took 7-8 weeks for my AZ plate to show up due to DMV pandemic-related back ups per the dealer. I had actually registered the car in Hawaii already and when I got home, my permanent (and by that time useless and out of date) AZ plates and registration had arrived at my house in the mail. I have no idea if AZ DMV processing times are any better now.

Regardless, the State of Hawaii did let me register the car with a temporary AZ registration. Will AZ allow that with a temporary Illinois plate or do you have to wait for the full registration?

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Gee whiz, my brother had his test drive today and invited me along. First, the handling and performance of the vehicle are unmatched in my humble opinion. It handles like a sports car, rides like a luxury car with all the utility of a pickup and it's quiet - crazy! We are all going to be really happy once we take delivery!

Anyway, in speaking with our guide (an incredibly knowledgeable young man named Justin) we got on the topic of AZ deliveries and orders. He said that about 40 trucks have been delivered thus far and that there were 4,000 AZ pre-orders between the two consumer models. He said the Phoenix market had one of the highest concentrations of pre-orders outside of San Francisco.

FPHater

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have an electric longboard
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Finally got guide contact and signed PBA today! I’m in the Prescott area, here’s my preorder details:
R1T Launch edition
Launch Green
Forest Edge
20” AT wheels
I have all options added and am told that the Camp Kitchen, gear tunnel shuttle, and tent are all delayed.
Preordered April 2020

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Finally got guide contact and signed PBA today! I’m in the Prescott area, here’s my preorder details:
R1T Launch edition
Launch Green
Forest Edge
20” AT wheels
I have all options added and am told that the Camp Kitchen, gear tunnel shuttle, and tent are all delayed.
Preordered April 2020
Congratulations!

Sponsored

KarTruck

First Name
Abhi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Monster S2R
For those in AZ that have received their truck: given we’ve had a few very hot days (at least in Phx are), what are your observations on cabin temperature and drivetrain efficiency?

FPHater

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have an electric longboard
Occupation
Retired Air Force
R1T Launch edition
Launch Green
Forest Edge
20” AT wheels
Preordered April 2020
Just scheduled my delivery for this Thursday, the 19th of May! That gives a ten day turnaround from initial guide contact to delivery (assuming it doesn’t get rescheduled for some reason). This may be the first Rivian in Northern AZ, as far as I know!

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

For those in AZ that have received their truck: given we’ve had a few very hot days (at least in Phx are), what are your observations on cabin temperature and drivetrain efficiency?
I haven't quantified any increase in keeping the cabin cool.....but I'm sure there is a small hit for the AC compressor running more frequently along with the fan motors........you don't see anything on estimated range per se' if you turn off the ac system.....

KarTruck

First Name
Abhi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Monster S2R
I haven't quantified any increase in keeping the cabin cool.....but I'm sure there is a small hit for the AC compressor running more frequently along with the fan motors........you don't see anything on estimated range per se' if you turn off the ac system.....
Thanks - will be interesting to see how the battery system handles the 100s consistently and how much heat gets let in by the big glass roof.

DougAz

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Guys,

I will be in Phoenix next weekend. Does someone know if reservation holders are allowed in the service center? I really want to see the truck.
Sponsored