Sponsored

Are you changing your charging limit after latest update?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I'm probably going to set mine to 90% to match what I did with my Tesla.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
I might knock mine down occasionally just to run the battery down. I heard you want to run down to 10% on occasion just to keep the battery from getting a memory. Right now I charge to 70 and plug back in daily which gets me to around 45% when I plug in. I don't go super far on a daily basis.
Lithium Ion batteries, such as the Samsung 50G model cell that our trucks use, do not suffer from memory like Ni-Cd batteries did.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Same as many others here 70% works for my daily needs so I will only use the slider to stop at 95% before trips requiring a DCFC stop. This is a nice option to have because I will only ever need to charge to 100% if it makes the difference between bypassing a charging stop and not which takes a pretty precise set of circumstance.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
70% has worked well for my daily needs, so I see no need to change that.

I didn't understand why people were so insistent on having a slider, anyway.... If you need more for a trip, use 85%. Does being able to say 80% or 82% really save your battery over 85%? I don't think so.

edited: ugh. @Jayhawkeye beat me to it.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Lithium Ion batteries, such as the Samsung 50G model cell that our trucks use, do not suffer from memory like Ni-Cd batteries did.
So I don't need to worry about running it down occasionally? That's good to know.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
So I don't need to worry about running it down occasionally? That's good to know.
Correct. While Li-ion batteries are "happiest" if they can stay close to 50%, keeping regular use between 20-90% is more than good enough for long-term battery health.

I like using 70% as my every day charge limit. I generally plug it in every night, even if it's only down a little bit, because I like having about 200 miles of range for emergencies (that'll get me to the next city with a DCFC in a pinch), and making it a habit means I won't forget and suddenly find the truck running low.

For long trips, I always charge to 100%, and leave it there for the duration of the trip. I usually don't get the vehicle back to 100% every charge, but if it's sitting for longer, I'd rather get more juice than have it stop charging.

We have had the same philosophy with our 2015 Model S—except we charge to 85% due to the lower range. It's nearing 100k miles, and been on many road trips (including a 2000 mile round-trip vacation). We mostly charge at home except trips, but always on a 40A circuit (9.6kW). After almost 8 years, it still has about 95% of the original range.

Honestly, people think way too hard about their batteries. I don't mind that people want a finer-grained control, but it's never been a real issue for me. Our Tesla we only charged to 85% or 100%, even though it's always had a fine-grained slider. And before we had scheduled departure, we just set the car to charge to 100% the night before, and called it good. It really doesn't matter if it sits for 8 hours at 100% occasionally.

Sponsored

RivianuserR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40, Volkswagen E-Golf
I might be in the minority that adjusts it down to 60 or 65%. I drive a maximum of 50 miles a day generally.

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
The slider is the wrong solution, imo. A better solution would be if Rivian implemented a "finish charging before XYZ" feature. Then we could set the time we plan to begin our journey and the truck could charge up to 70% or 80% right away, but then delay finishing the charge until it the last moment.
Sure but that’s a different feature, this is for everyday charging. . Eventually I’m sure we will see departure based charging.