Sponsored

Anyone racking Fat Tire E-bikes with their Rivian?

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
My ebike is pretty heavy and may be buying my spouse a new ebike. But because hers new one potentially has a dropped center bar, and I am a little tired of the workout I get while lifting up my bike on a conventional horizontal bar rack, am looking for a heavy duty e-bike specific rack.
I think mine is easily over 70 lbs with the batteries taken out, then adding a second bike, safely the rack should have 160-200lbs capacity along with fitment for a pair of fat tire bikes.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this yet, given that the R1T has a slightly inset trailer hitch and a long flip-out on the tailgate.

So it might be similar to this type of rack, but with higher weight capacity, and a longer stand-off from the truck; Standard fat tire bike rack

All of them seem to have a marginal capacity 60#/bike which is a little light of what's needed.
Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec

Synapticon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
About 7 years ago I got the Hollywood rack for my truck when I retired and took to the road RVing for a year. Here's another link: https://hollywoodracks.com/collections/bike-rack-hitch/products/rv-rider
This rack is a solid brute and I've acquired accessories to expand it to 4 bikes (not e-bikes), & fat bikes. The downside is that it's heavy but locks in place solidly. When I got my Rivian I added the Kuat Pivot, great swing-out access. I've been tempted to get a newer rack (like Kuat Piston Pro), but my current setup has a decent history.

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I have the 1UP Super Duty hitch rack and have been using for years to haul my heavy Specialized Turbo Levo which is also not light. Works perfectly

Sponsored

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
I have the 1UP Super Duty hitch rack and have been using for years to haul my heavy Specialized Turbo Levo which is also not light. Works perfectly
I also have the 1UPUSA Super Duty for my 2 e-bikes, Rad Power, weighing 70lbs each.

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

I have a rack from KAC that's very similar to the Hollywood rack that Foobar linked to - though mine is limited to 60lbs per bike. That worked for me, but it was hard to get a hitch pin in my Model Y with its stupid recessed hitch (the problem was the car, not the rack), and the trays don't fold so it took a lot of room in the garage. We don't use it anymore...it's in my son's garage.

I got the follow-up to 1UP's product, the Quikrstuff Mach2. Largely because it doesn't need a hitch pin, but it also happens to support 120lbs per bike (at least for the first two). And because it secures the bikes by their tires, it doesn't matter what type of top bar your bike has. It works with fenders (at least on my bikes), although you want to stuff a rag over the fender to prevent rubbing.

I only have a single-bike rack because my wife's bike fits in the car, but they have modular add-ons that allow you to carry up to 4 bikes. They also have a ramp that locks on to the rack; you can use that to roll your bikes on rather than lifting them.

I don't know how it will work on an R1T, but here's some pictures of it on my R1S. It's almost frighteningly zero-tolerance, but everything works and fit. I love that the entire thing can be operated and adjusted without tools, and how easy it is to put bikes on and take them off.

Here's my 60lb ebike on the Mach2 rack. It's up plenty high, nothing is ever going to scrape...

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone racking Fat Tire E-bikes with their Rivian? BikeOnMach2

Here is a side view. There is plenty of room for the handlebars and pedals:

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone racking Fat Tire E-bikes with their Rivian? Mach2 side view

Here's the rack empty:

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone racking Fat Tire E-bikes with their Rivian? Mach2 empty

And here it is folded. You can still open the top part of the hatch, but not the bottom:

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone racking Fat Tire E-bikes with their Rivian? Mach2 folded

This is looking down when it's folded. This is what I mean by zero-tolerance:

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone racking Fat Tire E-bikes with their Rivian? Mach2 folded, top view

If you leave it flat rather than folded, you can open the bottom part of the hatch - once again with almost zero tolerance:

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone racking Fat Tire E-bikes with their Rivian? Mach2 flat, hatches open

Here's what you plug in to the receiver. Note the two silver "pressure pads" that secure the rack in the receiver when you turn the blue handle on the front.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone racking Fat Tire E-bikes with their Rivian? Mach2 stinger

Here's what it looks like when inserted. Note that you can just barely see the end of one of the pressure pads. They are supposed to be entirely inside the receiver; but this is as far as I could get it, and I'm pretty sure that's going to hold it in.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone racking Fat Tire E-bikes with their Rivian? Mach2 inserted

Since it's pressed in all the way, the side risers press against the trim, which I'm not terribly happy about...but I guess even if it gets damaged, you're not really going to see it there.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone racking Fat Tire E-bikes with their Rivian? Mach2 inserted, top view

EDIT: a few more pictures and measurements are HERE.
Sponsored

Last edited: