Sponsored

Anyone figure out how to get ride of the crossbar whistle sound?

OP
OP
NashvilleR1S

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Well looks like Rivian owners bought the whole stock of these. They are out of stock everywhere. Ordered from Etrailer over a month ago and they still have no timetable of when theyll have them.
Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Has anyone tracked down an alternative to the Yakima strip mentioned here?

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
I love the look of the cargo crossbars, don't mind the negligible range hit, but the dang whistle sound is about to make me take them off for good. It's so high pitched at anything over 30 mph. Anyone figure out a good solve to this yet?
Consider Etrailer product - see link in this thread below-

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Put them on the back two positions on the R1S and that stops the whistle

Sponsored

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

I love the look of the cargo crossbars, don't mind the negligible range hit, but the dang whistle sound is about to make me take them off for good. It's so high pitched at anything over 30 mph. Anyone figure out a good solve to this yet?
I've had the same exact experience until today.

A while back I read on here about this front-facing vertical gap on each side being the source of crossbar whistle, and blocking it off with tape helps. Finally tried it and I’m pleased to report it actually worked to eliminate the high pitched whistling I was hearing from the crossbars at speed! It’s not as if they weren’t up there at all, but for my ears it’s a big improvement that took less than 2 minutes to slap some black masking tape on both sides.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone figure out how to get ride of the crossbar whistle sound? 425299164_10109242082459791_5573035630160881474_n

Last edited:

Rivian in CO

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S 2024; Honda Element 2008
Occupation
IT stuff
Has anyone tracked down an alternative to the Yakima strip mentioned here?
I too had a whistling issue with the crossbars on my R1S. I have the crossbars mounted in the rearmost positions. First I tried applying tape over the vertical seems in the crossbar mounts. I used blue painters tape because I wanted something easy to remove in case the tape didn't work. And alas, the tape didn't work, so I removed it.

I then installed these Rhino Rack Vortex Generating Rubber Strips in the channel in the tops of the crossbars as suggested by another forum member. The strips fit perfectly and eliminated the whistle.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I too had a whistling issue with the crossbars on my R1S. I have the crossbars mounted in the rearmost positions. First I tried applying tape over the vertical seems in the crossbar mounts. I used blue painters tape because I wanted something easy to remove in case the tape didn't work. And alas, the tape didn't work, so I removed it.

I then installed these Rhino Rack Vortex Generating Rubber Strips in the channel in the tops of the crossbars as suggested by another forum member. The strips fit perfectly and eliminated the whistle.
I literally just ordered those and will try to get them installed this weekend. I'm glad to hear that they made a difference! Thank you

OP
OP
NashvilleR1S

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography