Sponsored

Any R1S pre-orders hear from guides recently?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think it's now called underbody shield, as everyone gets the front hooks. So this order is in line with the other deliveries we've seen.
Thanks, I missed that in the post.
Sponsored

eSUV

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1S; and 2019 Jeep Trackhawk
Just got my guide contact this morning and after my exchange with her, a few emails and then an email that said we're ready to build your vehicle please confirm your configuration which I did. No specific timing but she advised the digital purchase process will open up once the VIN is confirmed on the assembly line. This is the most communication I have had with Rivian at any time prior to today. Cautiously optimistic.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe -> Audi e-tron
Occupation
Counselor
As I watch each day go by with R1S deliveries to pre-orders well after mine, I can only wonder what could have been had I ordered that damn underbody shield. That seems to be the one difference in my config compared to others who have started with the delivery steps. To think, one small difference in the config could cause later deposit holders to leapfrog early deposit holders. This really seems like an inappropriate way of allocation.

I sure hope everyone is right in the prediction that the next "batch" of R1S's out of Normal will not have the shield.

It is now a running joke in my family and with folks at work/friends - statements like "you get that Rivian yet?" or "you think you'll have to wait another year?" or "4 years seems like a long time to wait for a car." Answer key: "no," "maybe" and "yes."

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
As I watch each day go by with R1S deliveries to pre-orders well after mine, I can only wonder what could have been had I ordered that damn underbody shield. That seems to be the one difference in my config compared to others who have started with the delivery steps. To think, one small difference in the config could cause later deposit holders to leapfrog early deposit holders. This really seems like an inappropriate way of allocation.

I sure hope everyone is right in the prediction that the next "batch" of R1S's out of Normal will not have the shield.

It is now a running joke in my family and with folks at work/friends - statements like "you get that Rivian yet?" or "you think you'll have to wait another year?" or "4 years seems like a long time to wait for a car." Answer key: "no," "maybe" and "yes."
I certainly feel for you and other early res holders as I'm sure it's no fun to get leapfrogged, but if Rivian delivered vehicles in order of reservation date they would be out of business before you know it. Good luck and hope you get your R1S soon! When is your estimated delivery date?

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
Just got my guide contact this morning and after my exchange with her, a few emails and then an email that said we're ready to build your vehicle please confirm your configuration which I did. No specific timing but she advised the digital purchase process will open up once the VIN is confirmed on the assembly line. This is the most communication I have had with Rivian at any time prior to today. Cautiously optimistic.
They can just go ahead and batch our configuration together! :)

Sponsored

CoachBatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'm hopeful that they move to other LE R1S builds (without the underbody shield) next and don't go into Adventure packages with underbody shield.....

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Counselor
I certainly feel for you and other early res holders as I'm sure it's no fun to get leapfrogged, but if Rivian delivered vehicles in order of reservation date they would be out of business before you know it. Good luck and hope you get your R1S soon! When is your estimated delivery date?
Sorry but I respectfully disagree that the inclusion vs. exclusion of a $2K add-on should dictate delivery schedule. That in itself seems like a pretty good indictment of the issues that plague Rivian at the moment.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage

If supply chain problems are to be believed, and you have parts to build cars but not others, are you suggesting they stop building cars? Next question, how long is too long? Each of us have a time clock in our heads. Crazy times in the car world. Did you ever imagine paying over sticker for a car? I never did nor will I ever. That’s just me. It appears they are building in batches. Got a lot of 20” wheels, ok the build configs with 20” wheels. If white is the color of the week, then build a bunch of white trucks. It still doesn’t feel any better. Until I got contacted yesterday I never received any communication from Rivian. Not one email. Now my paperwork is done and hopefully my vehicle is on the train. Ironically we will be out of the country for two weeks when my expected delivery window hits. Will just have to wait a bit longer.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Counselor
If supply chain problems are to be believed, and you have parts to build cars but not others, are you suggesting they stop building cars? Next question, how long is too long? Each of us have a time clock in our heads. Crazy times in the car world. Did you ever imagine paying over sticker for a car? I never did nor will I ever. That’s just me. It appears they are building in batches. Got a lot of 20” wheels, ok the build configs with 20” wheels. If white is the color of the week, then build a bunch of white trucks. It still doesn’t feel any better. Until I got contacted yesterday I never received any communication from Rivian. Not one email. Now my paperwork is done and hopefully my vehicle is on the train. Ironically we will be out of the country for two weeks when my expected delivery window hits. Will just have to wait a bit longer.
Nope not suggesting they stop building cars. But seems easier to build cars without a part if supply chain issues are prevalent. Seems like they are doing the exact opposite - adding a part. My build is otherwise identical to several others reporting - same colors, same wheels, LE, etc. The only hiccup for me is that I don't want a part - that might otherwise be impacted by supply chain issues.

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Sorry but I respectfully disagree that the inclusion vs. exclusion of a $2K add-on should dictate delivery schedule. That in itself seems like a pretty good indictment of the issues that plague Rivian at the moment.
As another early reservation holder (not quite as early as you) who is also patiently waiting I'd say the following. 1) Your notion that the delay is linked to the underbody protection is pure speculation based on a tiny number of data points. I've seen people listing this as a 'fact' in a number of different posts and frankly that's nonsense. It's more grasping at straws (which almost all long time reservation holders have done at some point). The only one that has been definitive has been the original Ocean Coast, that definitely had an impact on delivery and was communicated as such. 2) No business at this scale can operate based on the whims of individual buyers. They need to respond to the economics that will allow them to grow and thrive. You don't hear about the specific build configuration option #22 that is holding up a Ford Lightening delivery because Ford understands that you don't communicate at that level to your customers because it doesn't scale.

I don't mean for this post to be in anyway pejorative to any early reservation holder (of which I am one) but rather just a reality check on how businesses at scale operate. Rivian is starting to ship R1S's YAY! They are trying to prioritize early reservation holders as best they can AWESOME! In a few months most really early reservation holders will have a kick ass vehicle. Terrific! Enjoy this part of the journey, because it's almost over.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Easy now, you'll get your vehicle soon....and better build quality than if u got it today.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
One more add, a friend is a car runner in Port Hueneme, CA. Recently he told me that there are THOUSANDS of cars parked there waiting for parts. Manufacturers like Audi, BMW etc, built the cars, shipped the cars and once the parts are available they will be shipped to the dealer to be installed and then put out for sale or delivery. In fact, Audi, has to decide if the 'Q4 etron that has been sitting at the port for months will be relabeled as a 2023 when in fact it was made to be a 2022. All because of the global parts shortage. Royal pain in the A--

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Counselor
As another early reservation holder (not quite as early as you) who is also patiently waiting I'd say the following. 1) Your notion that the delay is linked to the underbody protection is pure speculation based on a tiny number of data points. I've seen people listing this as a 'fact' in a number of different posts and frankly that's nonsense. It's more grasping at straws (which almost all long time reservation holders have done at some point). The only one that has been definitive has been the original Ocean Coast, that definitely had an impact on delivery and was communicated as such. 2) No business at this scale can operate based on the whims of individual buyers. They need to respond to the economics that will allow them to grow and thrive. You don't hear about the specific build configuration option #22 that is holding up a Ford Lightening delivery because Ford understands that you don't communicate at that level to your customers because it doesn't scale.

I don't mean for this post to be in anyway pejorative to any early reservation holder (of which I am one) but rather just a reality check on how businesses at scale operate. Rivian is starting to ship R1S's YAY! They are trying to prioritize early reservation holders as best they can AWESOME! In a few months most really early reservation holders will have a kick ass vehicle. Terrific! Enjoy this part of the journey, because it's almost over.
Pretty sure my configuration is not some unicorn and no one is suggesting Rivian "operate based on the whims of individual buyers." I am quite sure that thousands of buyers do not have the underbody shield as part of the build config. As to the underbody protection speculation, there is not a single data point (even if tiny sample size overall) suggesting anything different.

Don't get me wrong, I am stoked for all those getting deliveries and optimistic my delivery will occur in 2022. I hope it is a kick ass vehicle and part of going second is the hope that many of the bugs and issues will be worked out before I take delivery. I can say that one great thing about the e-tron I purchased is that Audi knows what they are doing when it comes to building cars.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Counselor
Easy now, you'll get your vehicle soon....and better build quality than if u got it today.
I just made this point. Totally agree. There is a benefit to waiting that I totally get.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Counselor
One more add, a friend is a car runner in Port Hueneme, CA. Recently he told me that there are THOUSANDS of cars parked there waiting for parts. Manufacturers like Audi, BMW etc, built the cars, shipped the cars and once the parts are available they will be shipped to the dealer to be installed and then put out for sale or delivery. In fact, Audi, has to decide if the 'Q4 etron that has been sitting at the port for months will be relabeled as a 2023 when in fact it was made to be a 2022. All because of the global parts shortage. Royal pain in the A--
For sure. Porsche has the same issue with their Taycan's right now. Have you seen the drone footage of the Fords in some parking lot awaiting parts for delivery. It is massive!
Sponsored