Sponsored

Any Day Now

Will we see a press release that will include all the missing pieces?

• Total voters

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Here is some food for thought...
In another thread talking about the lack of Rivian Apparel/store, a user here was given a reason by a Rivian representative. Once they start selling something, it changes their tax status. Even a hat.

I'm no accountant, and cannot speak with any authority on this, but the tax status reason seems... reasonable. Maybe this same reason speaks to why the details we are all hungering for aren't available yet. Specifically when it comes to cost (and thus configuration).

Compared to Tesla, Ford, GM who are not startup companies and not in a deferred tax status. Maybe it is legally easier for them to present that information.

Once again, this is all speculation on my part and I don't claim to be any authority on the subject.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Here is some food for thought...
In another thread talking about the lack of Rivian Apparel/store, a user here was given a reason by a Rivian representative. Once they start selling something, it changes their tax status. Even a hat.

I'm no accountant, and cannot speak with any authority on this, but the tax status reason seems... reasonable. Maybe this same reason speaks to why the details we are all hungering for aren't available yet. Specifically when it comes to cost (and thus configuration).

Compared to Tesla, Ford, GM who are not startup companies and not in a deferred tax status. Maybe it is legally easier for them to present that information.

Once again, this is all speculation on my part and I don't claim to be any authority on the subject.
It’s a good thought, it could be any number of things at this point. It would be fun to play around with the configurator, but obviously I want to know the prices and my build date more, so I’m more than happy waiting if I can get all that information at once. I just wish they were a little more active with their customers in communication. Of course, they may not have anything else to share and I’m just being impatient. I’m still hopeful that they’ll be the first electric truck out of the gate.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
What do you think, would you like a configurator with pricing and delivery dates? And be willing to wait a little longer for service and buying experience info?

Or would you prefer to wait and get it all at once?
Honestly I don't see why they couldn't be working on both concurrently (configurator/pricing and other stuff like financing, warranties etc). I imagine those are different teams, right? If I had to choose though I'd rather see whatever they're willing to release asap instead of waiting for everything else to be final.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
It would be odd if they did not know what the retail price is yet. More likely they must want to include that info into a package with the configurator and updated release and sales and service information. So what is the holdup ? Maybe waiting for the proper stars to align as being the first to hit the market it will be a major PR event.
As far as Tesla prices go I would view them as estimates as they aren't even done making changes to the design of that truck yet and have upped their prices on vehicles before. I remember the suggestion of $35K for the model 3 when it was about to come out. That just didn't happen. A friend of mine paid more like $70K for his with options and even used ones are in the $40K's around here. Maybe Rivian is trying to follow a different path. I could see a Superbowl add release.

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I, like many of you, login daily to see if there is something new and exciting to discover about my new vehicle.

Alas, all I get is little nuggets or a laugh out of ajdelange's space/time continuum analysis of a particular topic. ( because I have no idea what he's saying most of the time but appreciate the time he puts into his posts. I also think that someone as smart as he is gives me confidence that his trust in Rivian reinforces my belief that the R1S and R1T will eventually come to fruition )

2020 has been rough..... the cliché of it being about the journey and not the destination comes to mind.

If you're willing to wait this long for Rivian, I'm sure you're going to hang in there, if not, well it looks like you might have some other options.

Patience is a virtue and we're all being tested...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Did anyone attend this? I think the speaker talked at noon etd...

Rivian R1T R1S Any Day Now Screenshot_20201027-130349_Samsung Internet

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
It is what it is. It will come out at some point. I assume sometime in December. When that happens, I will have a better idea if I can really afford one, what battery I would get, some options, and color. That’s about it.

What I really want is to see them in person and to maybe drive one. That’s what will get me excited.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
It is what it is. It will come out at some point. I assume sometime in December. When that happens, I will have a better idea if I can really afford one, what battery I would get, some options, and color. That’s about it.

What I really want is to see them in person and to maybe drive one. That’s what will get me excited.
I'm guessing March 2021. Why have it available until it's needed?

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Because:

A) They’ve said it’ll be out by the end of the year, and words have to mean something

B) Literally EVERY time we ask them anything, the answer is always “that information will be available in the configurator.” So unless they want us to be totally in the dark until the very last minute, it doesn’t make sense to wait that long to release it

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Because:

A) They’ve said it’ll be out by the end of the year, and words have to mean something

B) Literally EVERY time we ask them anything, the answer is always “that information will be available in the configurator.” So unless they want us to be totally in the dark until the very last minute, it doesn’t make sense to wait that long to release it
^This

And I'll add:
-People need to be able to plan - especially around pricing/financing
-It generates market buzz
-It may drive new/more pre-orders
-It shows that they're on the way to really producing these things, and have confidence in what the options and costs will be

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I'm guessing March 2021. Why have it available until it's needed?
I think it would be helpful to them to finalize their ordering to know what options people are choosing. It seems like 6 months out is a good time for that to happen.
Sponsored