Sponsored

Any Day Now

Will we see a press release that will include all the missing pieces?

• Total voters

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I feel like we are on the verge of getting all the information we’ve been clamoring for. Configuration, price, charging rate, colors, etc... With the recent Long Way Up show ending in two weeks, Rebelle Rally, updates to their website including their customer service number, as well as competition updates from GMC Hummer EV, I think we are seeing the final push. Emme Hall mentioned she was doing a write up on her time in the preproduction truck in the rally, so I’m assuming there’s some kind of writing embargo that will be lifting soon. Now the only question is wIll all of this come out before the end of the year or early next year? Place your bets now
Sponsored

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
I'm going with this year, only because they keep saying the configurator will be out later this year. It could slip to next year. :(

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I am not as hopeful as others, and honestly a bit frustrated. We can go to the Tesla web site and see the price range of the Cyber Truck, and now we can go to the GM site and see the price range of the Hummer, plus a detailed list of included features. Both of those vehicles are scheduled for delivery after the Rivian. The Rivian web site still just lists a "starting at" price, with the configuration not really known, just a few verbal statements made. Tesla and GM are able to price their vehicles with a year to go before actual delivery. We are now 7 months from Rivian deliveries, and no "actual" pricing yet. Maybe the company is actually too focused on technology, and not focused enough on the business side of things.

At this point in time they should know the component costs and have a good estimate of the labor costs to build the vehicles. Capital investments are also know. From that they can put in a desired profit margin and come up with a price. I am willing to bet Amazon knows the price of the delivery vans.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I am not as hopeful as others, and honestly a bit frustrated. We can go to the Tesla web site and see the price range of the Cyber Truck, and now we can go to the GM site and see the price range of the Hummer, plus a detailed list of included features. Both of those vehicles are scheduled for delivery after the Rivian. The Rivian web site still just lists a "starting at" price, with the configuration not really known, just a few verbal statements made. Tesla and GM are able to price their vehicles with a year to go before actual delivery. We are now 7 months from Rivian deliveries, and no "actual" pricing yet. Maybe the company is actually too focused on technology, and not focused enough on the business side of things.

At this point in time they should know the component costs and have a good estimate of the labor costs to build the vehicles. Capital investments are also know. From that they can put in a desired profit margin and come up with a price. I am willing to bet Amazon knows the price of the delivery vans.
I agree, honestly I’m skeptical they can turn a profit even with prices starting at $69,000, just because how much the battery cost is, and how luxurious the interior seems to be. I don’t know if they’re going to be eating the cost as production ramps up just to get market share, or if they’re going to be turning a profit day one. The Hummer EV has made me a little skeptical of the the prices with a 200 kW battery, and how high it needs to be to be profitable with their 180 kW battery

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I agree, honestly I’m skeptical they can turn a profit even with prices starting at $69,000, just because how much the battery cost is, and how luxurious the interior seems to be. I don’t know if they’re going to be eating the cost as production ramps up just to get market share, or if they’re going to be turning a profit day one. The Hummer EV has made me a little skeptical of the the prices with a 200 kW battery, and how high it needs to be to be profitable with their 180 kW battery
GM has set a goal for the Ultium batteries to come in at a cost of $100/KWH. An article I read has indicated they have achieved ~$125/KWH right now, but will work to bring that down. They are investing in a brand new factory and have reduced the usage of cobalt in these batteries.

We all know that Tesla did not make a profit for many years, but Elon seemed to prop them up during that time. I think Rivian cannot go down that path, they are not self funded.

Also, Tesla did not invest in quality and service initially like they should have. They still ship Model 3s that have rear bumpers fall off when traversing mud puddles. I would rather pay more money for a good vehicle and see the manufacturer make a profit, rather than get something underpriced and fraught with poor quality and servicing.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Tesla web site and see the price range of the Cyber Truck
Yes, but will those be the actual prices? I seem to remember they've had prices for other announced vehicles that didn't come to pass or even version of vehicles announced that were never built.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GM has set a goal for the Ultium batteries to come in at a cost of $100/KWH. An article I read has indicated they have achieved ~$125/KWH right now, but will work to bring that down. They are investing in a brand new factory and have reduced the usage of cobalt in these batteries.

We all know that Tesla did not make a profit for many years, but Elon seemed to prop them up during that time. I think Rivian cannot go down that path, they are not self funded.

Also, Tesla did not invest in quality and service initially like they should have. They still ship Model 3s that have rear bumpers fall off when traversing mud puddles. I would rather pay more money for a good vehicle and see the manufacturer make a profit, rather than get something underpriced and fraught with poor quality and servicing.
That’s true, they definitely have to get the quality and service right out of the gate I believe to be taken seriously. But if they can be better than Tesla at that I think they have a winning chance. They seem to be doing everything correctly so far, to make sure there’s no huge production quality problems. I’m not sure what price they’re getting their batteries at, I believe I have read that they said LG Chem at one point, so I’m very curious how they price everything.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm really curious how many people at Rivian, if any, read this forum. If yes, they must laugh at all the conjecture. However, I simultaneously hope they find at least some comments and/or suggestions valuable!!! :fingerscrossed:
I’m sure somebody does, at this point conjecture is all we have to go on for a lot of this. They are definitely more focused on the product than the marketing side. Which ultimately may be a good thing, under promise and over deliver seems to be their philosophy.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I am okay with the price guidance and I am certain exact prices will be available with the configurator by the end of the year.

Features, can be found by watching numerous YouTube videos on the car show events, although not which feature is with which trim level.

The two biggest glaring absences in the data stream is sales and service.

How do we buy? Where do we buy? What financing options are available? Can I trade in my current vehicle? How and where will my vehicle be delivered? There was a lot of interest in a factory delivery program - is that still even a remote possibility?

What are the exact warrenty terms and conditions? Where can I get my vehicle serviced? Are service rentals available and covered?

I was not able to buy an early Tesla while these programs where being developed there but with my current Tesla, I have never had a better sales and service experience. How will Rivian's compare?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
The devil is in the details and these guys went down to Georgia to give the devil his due.

The thing that inspires confidence here is that this crew is constantly dropping nuggets of design that show their commitment to the overall experience and trust in their design from top down is incredible. From the gear tunnel doors and stove to the adjustable racks, they have clearly been paying attention to detail. So while other manufacturers dwell on the big things, Rivian just quietly listens, learns, and iterates. From Long Way Up to Rebelle Rally, the world is their test bed and no challenge is off the table. They will clearly do the big things (frunk, level 3 autonomous, and the rest), but what seems to be their biggest shot at success is their willingness to stay true to their word and make sure they get the details right.

So while we are impatient, if anyone has a shot at this truck thing, these guys have all the pieces if they can put them all in place as they have been thus far.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
There is no way we will know ALL the missing pieces at the next information release, but much of what people are waiting for will be released by year end.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I keep hearing this repeated phase on the forum; "under promise and over deliver". Where are these deliveries, there have been none to customers so far. The original deliveries where supposed to start at the end of this year, and that did not happen. Even without Covid, I do not think they would have produced them yet, not based on the status of the factory we saw earlier this year.

I do have confidence they will produce a good vehicle, I simply want to know my configuration and delivery date. Cost is not really a factor for me, I reserved a Hummer and am willing to pay for the Edition 1, if I can get it sooner than a Rivian.
Sponsored