Sponsored

Any Day Now

Will we see a press release that will include all the missing pieces?

• Total voters

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Even without Covid, I do not think they would have produced them yet, not based on the status of the factory we saw earlier this year.
The status of the factory we saw earlier, is partially a result of Covid. There is also the issue of trying to hire and train the assembly line workers during a pandemic. This is why the release date got pushed out to June (I Think) rather than March or April.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I keep hearing this repeated phase on the forum; "under promise and over deliver". Where are these deliveries, there have been none to customers so far. The original deliveries where supposed to start at the end of this year, and that did not happen. Even without Covid, I do not think they would have produced them yet, not based on the status of the factory we saw earlier this year.

I do have confidence they will produce a good vehicle, I simply want to know my configuration and delivery date. Cost is not really a factor for me, I reserved a Hummer and am willing to pay for the Edition 1, if I can get it sooner than a Rivian.
COVID really screwed things up for the entire industry, so I would give them a mulligan on that. Also, I’m sure they were waiting to secure more funding before they built out more of the factory which they have. As far as I know GMC doesn’t even have a pre-production model of the Hummer EV, so I would say Rivian is further along than them. That being said I have no doubt that it will be produced, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the timeline slipped on that as well. : https://insideevs.com/news/450345/gm-admits-no-gmc-hummer-ev-exists-yet/

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Let’s be real, until there is a specific date attached to any of Rivian’s statements regarding the release of details/the configurator, they’re about as useful as a screen door on a submarine

Not that I’m complaining; I’d rather they get stuff done right, not quick. But even a little bit of info would help satiate the masses at this point.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
Yes, but will those be the actual prices? I seem to remember they've had prices for other announced vehicles that didn't come to pass or even version of vehicles announced that were never built.
Tesla price announcement is always joke of the day as they never mass produce a vehicle with announced price. Did they not recently scrap base model 3 production.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Reactions: Jay

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I think it was the base Model Y, that was canceled and never produced.
There is a chance the 105 kWh Rivians might meet the same fate.
The completely unscientific poll on this site show 1 vote or <1% are looking at that as an option,

• Haha
Reactions: Jay

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
The status of the factory we saw earlier, is partially a result of Covid. There is also the issue of trying to hire and train the assembly line workers during a pandemic. This is why the release date got pushed out to June (I Think) rather than March or April.
Part of the point about delivery, which I did not state clearly, is that base price and an options list with pricing is a part of the delivery process. COVID should have had no impact on that part, because that is work that can be done at home, and on a computer (virtual meetings). When the original plan for deliveries was for the end of this year, prior to any COVID interruptions, that means the configurator and pricing would have to have been in place before now. While I understand COVID had an impact on the factory build out and suppliers, that should have had zero impact on defining price and options.

Warranty and servicing plans also are not impacted by delays in manufacturing, these are business decisions to be worked out, and again, not impacted by COVID. Many people on this forum want to know the warranty terms and how the vehicle is going to be serviced. No one is going to sign a purchase agreement without knowing configuration, price, warranty and where they will be able to get their vehicle serviced.

I have recently been wondering, which Rivian will be parked in my driveway first, my R1T or an Amazon Van.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
COVID really screwed things up for the entire industry, so I would give them a mulligan on that. Also, I’m sure they were waiting to secure more funding before they built out more of the factory which they have. As far as I know GMC doesn’t even have a pre-production model of the Hummer EV, so I would say Rivian is further along than them. That being said I have no doubt that it will be produced, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the timeline slipped on that as well. : https://insideevs.com/news/450345/gm-admits-no-gmc-hummer-ev-exists-yet/
I have spent my entire career in aerospace and have seen nothing like this:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a34030586/air-force-secret-new-fighter-jet/

The digital technology that exists today allowed the Air Force to develop and fly this jet in just one year. So I am sure GM can put together a new Hummer body in that time. The Ultium batteries are already being tested in modified first generation Bolts and the second generation Bolt is already being tested with the new BEV3 platform using those batteries as well.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
No one is going to sign a purchase agreement without knowing configuration, price, warranty and where they will be able to get their vehicle serviced.
No one has been asked to do any of these things.

Part of the point about delivery, which I did not state clearly, is that base price and an options list with pricing is a part of the delivery process.
Prices of components are not fixed they change. So, if you delay your order from say September to January you may get different pricing. If you change the size of the order you may get different pricing. There are a whole bunch of different things that need to be done in order to deliver these vehicles, most of which were affected by and still might be affected by the pandemic (it isn't over yet). Therefore, Patience is the word of the day.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Well this video of a prototype was on another thread, not pre-production, but definitely a real vehicle.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Prices of components are not fixed they change. So, if you delay your order from say September to January you may get different pricing. If you change the size of the order you may get different pricing. There are a whole bunch of different things that need to be done in order to deliver these vehicles, most of which were affected by and still might be affected by the pandemic (it isn't over yet). Therefore, Patience is the word of the day.
This is absolutely not true in automotive or aerospace industries. Suppliers and OEMs make multi-year agreements, i.e. contracts, that set prices, delivery rates, escalation clauses, penalty clauses, etc. A component supplier cannot suddenly raise their prices. At the end of a contract, the prices can be re-negotiated.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
This is absolutely not true in automotive or aerospace industries.
No, it absolutely is true. Had Rivian already signed all of the supplier contracts? If they did sign the contracts and say wanted to change the delivery dates due to Covid, might that result in a renegotiation? Maybe the supplier couldn't deliver the products on time due to Covid, that could also result in a renegotiation. There are all kinds of variables here, so unless all of contracts have already been signed in stone, things can change.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
No, it absolutely is true. Had Rivian already signed all of the supplier contracts? If they did sign the contracts and say wanted to change the delivery dates due to Covid, might that result in a renegotiation? Maybe the supplier couldn't deliver the products on time due to Covid, that could also result in a renegotiation. There are all kinds of variables here, so unless all of contracts have already been signed in stone, things can change.
Rivian is still tweaking the vehicle design based on feedback/experience from the pre-production units like the one sent the the Rebelle Rally. Most of that will be software, but there are likely some hardware bits the need to be changed as well.
I don' think they planned on locking in the price/specs until after they finished the complete design, which would be after they had the data from testing the pre-production units.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian is still tweaking the vehicle design based on feedback/experience from the pre-production units like the one sent the the Rebelle Rally. Most of that will be software, but there are likely some hardware bits the need to be changed as well.
I don' think they planned on locking in the price/specs until after they finished the complete design, which would be after they had the data from testing the pre-production units.
If they are still tweaking hardware designs, then that is an indication they are nowhere near ready for production.
Sponsored