Any clues on build/price date?

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
I’ve been super curious from day 1 what prices will be. Over time we’ve seen that pretty much everything in the prototypes will be “optional” equipment. The off road tires, skid plates, interior, roof, bed cover, tailgate, bed lights, etc have all been mentioned as options at one event or another.

I’d love to see when we can start building and pricing these.

For me if the base 69k hits 100k with a decent battery and options then I will tap out now and buy something else. If it’s a few k more than my other options I’m in.

Wondering if anyone’s heard about when we can spec our orders and get a final price.
Sponsored

Reactions: Rad

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I’ve been super curious from day 1 what prices will be. Over time we’ve seen that pretty much everything in the prototypes will be “optional” equipment. The off road tires, skid plates, interior, roof, bed cover, tailgate, bed lights, etc have all been mentioned as options at one event or another.

I’d love to see when we can start building and pricing these.

For me if the base 69k hits 100k with a decent battery and options then I will tap out now and buy something else. If it’s a few k more than my other options I’m in.

Wondering if anyone’s heard about when we can spec our orders and get a final price.
For the Configurator I have heard everything from sometime in Q4 2019, to the beginning of Q1 2020. As much as I would love to drive it before I build it, I really want to see how much cash I am going to have to plop down in order to get that truck in my driveway.

Here's to hoping that they say something in Seattle Friday, or at the San Fran event when it takes place...

Reactions: Rad

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
@DocTwinkie , been wondering and feeling the same way. FWIW, I did read that an Atlanta event attendee had reported from part of his event notes: "Likely get to configure starting early next year." If that's the case, this would be at least the second thing where a generalized date has been pushed. The first would be the test drive program tour where Rivian's FAQ webpage states "We’ll be offering test drives closer to our launch at the end of 2020." Although, to be fair, I'm not recalling the original generalized date for the test drives other than it may be some wishful thinking on my part that it would be much earlier than that. ... I just hope the pushed date does not turn into a trend, albeit not unexpected given the enormity of what is in front of Rivian.

OP
OP

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@DocTwinkie , been wondering and feeling the same way. FWIW, I did read that an Atlanta event attendee had reported from part of his event notes: "Likely get to configure starting early next year." If that's the case, this would be at least the second thing where a generalized date has been pushed. The first would be the test drive program tour where Rivian's FAQ webpage states "We’ll be offering test drives closer to our launch at the end of 2020." Although, to be fair, I'm not recalling the original generalized date for the test drives other than it may be some wishful thinking on my part that it would be much earlier than that. ... I just hope the pushed date does not turn into a trend, albeit not unexpected given the enormity of what is in front of Rivian.
I’m 99% sure I will tap out. Rates are so good now. There’s a lot of good ICE alternatives that look like they will be cheap enough I can used the leftover to solar the house.

My Volvo is at that age where it’s about to be a money pit. I’d like to replace it and I’m ready to do it now but I’d hate to hold out till end of next year only to find out I could buy two comparable ice cars for the price of this.

I’m really happy Rivian looks like they will be in it for the long haul. My budget could go to 80-90k but the jeep, truck, and Acura I’m looking at range from 45-55k. I’m wondering if that car their showing will end up being over 100k when you add the 300mi battery, off road, and all the other goodies. Maybe I’ll get a used one in 5 years for a fraction of the price.

Sponsored

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
I’m sure someone that went to the Atlanta event, or maybe some event prior, reported that RJ said that they would “definitely” be able to test drive before having to commit. My understanding being that the commit point is the point of configure. So that would put test drives early next year, and configure shortly after.

I wonder if the ‘closer to our launch at the end of 2020’ states that the launch will be at the end of 2020. Closer to that launch would include the period early next year.

But maybe that’s pushing semantics a little too far.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Configuration emails will be sent sometime in 2020, presumably in the first half of the year. While you certainly don't have to commit to an order before test driving, I expect the emails will go out before the first test drives. If you decide to wait for a test drive, it may put you farther back in line than if you commit to an order as soon as the build/price system is available. In any event, it does sound like test drives will be available at some point prior to the initial customer deliveries (i.e. launch at the end of 2020).

OP
OP

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m sure it’ll drive like a dream. I guess the big question I’ve had since the LA auto show is price. From the sounds of thing they plan to go the Land Rover, BMW route where every single thing is an option and the base vs fully loaded soars.

I don’t need a test drive as much as I need to be able to say okay these are the things it has to have... okay with those things the price is 100k. Thanks but no thanks. Or maybe the price is 75k in which case we are a go (highly doubtful).

Of course maybe I’ll win the lottery in the next month or two and it won’t matter. Lol.

Originally when they talked about these they talked about their off road worthiness and adventures and this cool tailgate and look at this cover but now we are slowly finding out all those things are not actually standard.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Originally when they talked about these they talked about their off road worthiness and adventures and this cool tailgate and look at this cover but now we are slowly finding out all those things are not actually standard.
I think the core off-roading capabilities (4-motor torque vectoring, battery sealing, underbody skid plate, suspension height adjustment, approach and departure angles, etc.) are baked into the fundamental characteristics of the vehicle and will be part of the base package. I also think a lot of what were once considered luxury options -- such as air conditioning and power windows -- will also be part of the base package. Certainly many of the bells and whistles will be options, but I think the base price will still get you a powerful, versatile, comfortable, good-driving, and unique vehicle.

What I wonder more about is how much of the self-driving capability will be included in the base package.

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Self driving level 3 is what is a big deal for me. If it’s not up to speed or gets pushed back, I’m probably going Tesla route. Waiting for Tesla truck announcement to see if it’s not to ugly.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Self driving level 3 is what is a big deal for me. If it’s not up to speed or gets pushed back, I’m probably going Tesla route. Waiting for Tesla truck announcement to see if it’s not to ugly.
As Brian Gase from Rivian said in this interview / vehicle walk-thru with The Fast Lane Truck youtube channel video this past April, the EAVs will have the hardware that's upgradeable to Level 3 via software (updates). Level 2 will be there at launch. Meaning, Level 2 will be available at launch but Level 3 won't be until enough Level 2 data is collected for the Level 3 AI algorithms to function properly. Go to 11:55 in the video to hear this but I'd recommend watching it from the beginning as there is some good detail covered. E.g. Brian mentions a few times what will be optional vs standard with the core packages like just after the 9:00 mark.

OP
OP

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fully loaded model y is 68k before tax incentives. Who would have thought the Tesla as they cheaper alternative lol.

Unfortunately that’s not out till 2021. I’m waiting for the LA auto show to see if the PHEV Jeep looks interesting and if Rivian drops any news but at his point I just can’t imagine the 300mj truck with the software unlock for level 3, all the bed goodies with the flip down, cover, rails, off road package, nice stereo... coming in for less than 100k. The only way I’d stay in would be they say hey with the amazon order we can drop prices or increase standard equipment. Highly highly doubtful.

buddilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.
I saw a video where Rivian rep said a 180 kW R1T would run somewhere in the $90k range. I imagine you can get well over $100k if you add all options.

OP
OP

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the car they are showing is over 100k. We have already heard the wheels, tires, roof, skids, interior, battery, rails, tonneau, etc are all options.

I tapped out and just got my deposit back. I hope them the best but currently there are budget subcompact EVs and insanely priced Uber luxury. There’s no mid ground. Rivian is going to make the f150 which will almost certainly be much cheaper and benefit from the same platform.

I was hoping Rivian would be the high end main stream truck. Like a raptor can hit 70k. But in reality they are going to be the high end Land Rover or Mercedes. More power to em.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rivian is going to make the f150
I believe Ford has indicated that both the F-150 and Mach-E are their own. I believe it has also been stated that the collaboration with Rivian with yield a Lincoln branded vehicle.
Sponsored