First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Well, I have to admit the math certainly is interesting for those of us getting our Rivians at pre-March 1st pricing.

$75K truck + $6,500 Sales tax (NY rate) = $81.5K total
Sell for $130K
Buy equivalent truck for $90K + $7.7K Sales tax
--- pocket $32K ---- (ignoring CG reporting which is probably happening in most pvt Rivian sales)

Downside... you have to wait till 2024 for your next R1T or R2T but for some of us... $32K for doing nothing is pretty nice.
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Well, I have to admit the math certainly is interesting for those of us getting our Rivians at pre-March 1st pricing. ....
Forgot to toss-in the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit that comes to the original EV buyer. While controversial there is nothing "hard wired" into the tax code about EV credits that mandates a minimum period of ownership. Many people may not expect that you can buy as many EVs as you want (that qualify) and enjoy multiple tax credits within the same tax period. At least until the clowns in Washington DC decide to make adjustments to the applicable laws.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Forgot to toss-in the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit that comes to the original EV buyer. While controversial there is nothing "hard wired" into the tax code about EV credits that mandates a minimum period of ownership. Many people may not expect that you can buy as many EVs as you want (that qualify) and enjoy multiple tax credits within the same tax period. At least until the clowns in Washington DC decide to make adjustments to the applicable laws.
There is a rule that it can’t be purchased for resale. Would they get called on it, hard to say but it does misalign with the spirit of the tax credit.

Bullit 6.

Rivian R1T R1S Another R1T For Sale At Insane Markup 5426F4F7-C959-4A8F-A8DA-5ED90BC6746F

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

There is a rule that it can’t be purchased for resale. Would they get called on it, hard to say but it does misalign with the spirit of the tax credit.
Technically correct. But that is super vague legalism since it's based on intent.
How do you prove a vehicle was purchased originally with intent to resell it.
One way, of course, is leaving a digital footprint on the internet...
But who really thinks the IRS is that savvy.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I hope nobody here thinks reselling Rivians is surprising. This is only the beginning.

Let's be honest, money talks. $30-50K profit is significant and many people here would not readily admit on this forum they would do the same if they had a cash buyer. Maybe the profit is even more, who knows. What if that one on BaT sells for $200K?

It is a taboo topic here, but it is the reality of the world. Look at every other enthusiast car forum (Porsches, etc). It is the same thing and markups are even higher.

Add to the fact that many people have reservations just to have them. They put down reservations for the Ford Lightning, Lucid Air, CyberTruck, Bronco Raptor, Cayman GT4 RS, etc and MIGHT keep one (or none). Oh, what's that? I can sell my R1T and make a 5 digit profit? Heck yeah!

If I handed you $50+K right now on top of what you paid for for a vehicle you weren't even sure you wanted, you'd be an idiot to not take it. (EDIT: Perhaps a bit hasty for me to call anyone an idiot, but "money talks" is the point).

Last edited:

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If I handed you $50+K right now on top of what you paid for for a vehicle you weren't even sure you wanted, you'd be an idiot to not take it.
I agree not surprising and everyone’s position is different some people are really stretching to make this purchase so to get 50k would be hard to turn down.

But then again I guess I would be an idiot. 50k would not move the needle for me. I would have to be honest if you walked up to me at 200k over I’d really have to think about it.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I agree not surprising and everyone’s position is different some people are really stretching to make this purchase so to get 50k would be hard to turn down.

But then again I guess I would be an idiot. 50k would not move the needle for me. I would have to be honest if you walked up to me at 200k over I’d really have to think about it.
Maybe I was a bit hasty in calling people an idiot :p. I'll edit.

My point is money talks. I wouldn't sell mine either. In fact, during the price hike, I was excited since I thought people would cancel and I'd move up in line lols.

Texhipa

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Auburn, Mercedes, Lexus, Mustang, Checker
Occupation
President Insurance Agency
I received that same truck about a month ago. You could possibly talk me out of it for 150k. But it would be a hard decision. This thing is so quick. You could say, it is the most fun you can have between point A and B. If you have not taken delivery yet, make sure your guide sets up a firm delivery time because that department needs lots of help. I think they work out of their house.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Eight R1Ts listed on eBay Motors auction at present. Buy It Now asking price averaging $137,500

swflorida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vespa GTS 300, XC90
Occupation
Portfolio Manager
One "upside" to being someone who ordered in 2022, before March 1, my R1S (I know this is R1T forum) is so far away for me the market will have settled and I won't have to worry about this decision making ;-)

Resale is tempting since the dual motor should be better on range and I don't do any meaningful off-roading.
Sponsored