First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Around 10:30 they talk about how much thought was put into the ease of getting in and out of the vehicle with steps, handles, etc. Maybe the EDV development team should have spent at least a day sharing some of that wisdom with the R1 design team.

Sponsored

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

haha, not a deal breaker, but it is so weird they don't have a handle on the A pillar like every other truck or SUV it seems like.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
haha, not a deal breaker, but it is so weird they don't have a handle on the A pillar like every other truck or SUV it seems like.
My guess is by design to keep you back away from the passenger air bag should it get deployed. There is a grab handle above the front passenger door that you can grab without being too close to the dash or leaning forward.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

cant help but think the EDV interior feels better designed for its use cases than the R1 is for its use cases.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
cant help but think the EDV interior feels better designed for its use cases than the R1 is for its use cases.
I agree with you here but it makes sense.

We are looking at the EDV built from the ground up with a single use case being the Amazon last mile delivery and comparing that to the R1 series that has a myriad of use cases between the S and T with thousands of customers all using it for something different.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I agree with you here but it makes sense.

We are looking at the EDV built from the ground up with a single use case being the Amazon last mile delivery and comparing that to the R1 series that has a myriad of use cases between the S and T with thousands of customers all using it for something different.
yes but i was referring more to the interior design, not the exterior or road/off-road capabilities.

i just think theres a lot of misses in the interior. no glove box or good use of center space for storage, terrible wireless charging, no grab handles on the a-pillar, manual vent controls, sun shade for roof and several others. i think they could have designed these things better and been more thoughtful about customer usage like they were for the EDV.

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

My guess is by design to keep you back away from the passenger air bag should it get deployed. There is a grab handle above the front passenger door that you can grab without being too close to the dash or leaning forward.
Every vehicle has an airbag, so not sure how it’s any different in a R1. The grab handle that’s above is quite awkward for someone to use to get in or out, though, compared to one on the A pillar. I cringe when heavier people use it it in mine. Definitely won’t hold up to those forces for all that long.

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban
I’d kill for some of those actively cooled seats!
Sponsored