First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
It's about time they finally updated the old dog 5th gen 4Runner. That thing has been around since 2009. I never could stomach the styling on the 5th gen, but the 6th gen looks promising. I was hoping it was going to be more of an SUV version of the new Tacoma though...

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I will be honest I kinda hate the looks of the land cruiser hopefully it doesn't look like that. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m sure it will be very popular. Doesn’t it overlap with the Land Cruiser though? Similar size, capabilities, etc… 🤷‍♂️

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m sure it will be very popular. Doesn’t it overlap with the Land Cruiser though? Similar size, capabilities, etc… 🤷‍♂️
I have a feelin' they're going to make it a bit smaller and cheaper. Otherwise it would definitely cross lines with the LC.

BTW, looking at the pricing of the LC. It seems the Lexus GX would be the better deal. It's very similarly priced to the mid and high range versons of the LC but comes with a more powerful engine.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have a feelin' they're going to make it a bit smaller and cheaper. Otherwise it would definitely cross lines with the LC.

BTW, looking at the pricing of the LC. It seems the Lexus GX would be the better deal. It's very similarly priced to the mid and high range versons of the LC but comes with a more powerful engine.
Oh wow. I wasn't aware the pricing on those two was that close. That leaves plenty of room for the 4 Runner...

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Oh wow. I wasn't aware the pricing on those two was that close. That leaves plenty of room for the 4 Runner...
Yea, my wife wants to potentially replace her Jeep with the Land Cruiser but I'm trying to push her to the Lexus. The 4 Runner is something else we'll be considering.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
It is astounding how much life Toyota managed to squeeze out of the 5th gen. I don't know if it's impressive or sad at this point - and I've owned almost every generation of them.

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
It is astounding how much life Toyota managed to squeeze out of the 5th gen. I don't know if it's impressive or sad at this point - and I've owned almost every generation of them.
To me, it was definitely sad. The poor 4Runner is about as non-tech as you can get at this point. I mean, the thing still has a 5-speed transmission in 2024. Reliability is great, but come on now....

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Yea, my wife wants to potentially replace her Jeep with the Land Cruiser but I'm trying to push her to the Lexus. The 4 Runner is something else we'll be considering.
The Lexus GX seems so much better than the Land Cruiser and doesn’t appear to be in as high of demand. When I compared the two a while back, the Lexus was a no-brainer for what I was looking for. Admittedly, the LC might be better for some, but the small price difference makes it really hard to opt for the LC. Seems like a weird pricing strategy to me.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

To me, it was definitely sad. The poor 4Runner is about as non-tech as you can get at this point. I mean, the thing still has a 5-speed transmission in 2024. Reliability is great, but come on now....
SAVE THE MANUALS!! Doesnt mean its old it just means some drivers still love the stick.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
SAVE THE MANUALS!! Doesnt mean its old it just means some drivers still love the stick.
It’s a 5-sp slushbox in the 4Runner.

But I’m with you - we will own a manual transmission vehicle in this house until I die, and probably after. My daughter just picked up a 6-sp manual ND Miata RF. :)

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
We have a 2015 4Runner. It's a very solid car we will probably drive until it dies. But it's very old tech for better or worse. Going from the Rivian to driving the 4runner makes the 4Runner feel so sluggish that it's unenjoyable.

I love Toyotas, but I will be surprised if the new one is very compelling now that the LC is smaller and Hybrid. They will have to neuter the 4Runner in one way or another.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.