Sponsored

Air compressor upgrade

Deleted member 2488

I couldn't find any info on whether there is speculation or Rivian confirmation if the air compressor can be added to an Explore R1S by the owner. I was thinking maybe there will be a spot in the paneling, and the necessary power connections, so you could buy the part after the fact? It's the most tempting part of the Adventure trim, but not work the price for that alone, to me.
Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Odds are it will have the same air compressor regardless of trim level, since they all have air suspension. I would bet the option is simply the piping with an outlet and a fitting, and some method of controlling the pressure output (a toggle in the app?)

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I couldn't find any info on whether there is speculation or Rivian confirmation if the air compressor can be added to an Explore R1S by the owner. I was thinking maybe there will be a spot in the paneling, and the necessary power connections, so you could buy the part after the fact? It's the most tempting part of the Adventure trim, but not work the price for that alone, to me.
This doesn't quite answer your question but making sure you are aware. You can add the Off-Road Upgrade package (which includes the compressor) to the Explore trim for $2k without having to upgrade all the way to Adventure trim. I wouldn't count on a compressor only post-delivery upgrade option being available any time soon but it would be worth a conversation with your Guide when they reach out.

Rivian R1T R1S Air compressor upgrade riv_off_road_upgrade

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Odds are it will have an air compressor regardless of trim level, since they all have air suspension. I would bet the option is simply the piping with an outlet and a fitting, and some method of controlling the pressure output (a toggle in the app?)
Correct, this isn't really about the compressor per se but the "plumbing" to expose it for uses outside the air suspension.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
If you just want the compressor I think there are some more economical options...

Rivian R1T R1S Air compressor upgrade Screenshot_20210424-111140_Chrome

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If you just want the compressor I think there are some more economical options...

Screenshot_20210424-111140_Chrome.jpg
Good call out. I carry something like that today but they are painfully slow and perhaps not the greatest option if you're airing tires up/down while off-roading. I think there is hope the onboard compressor would inflate tires a little more rapidly although this was something the Rebelle team complained about so there may not be that much practical difference. Time will tell.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2488

You can add the Off-Road Upgrade package (which includes the compressor) to the Explore trim for $2k without having to upgrade all the way to Adventure trim.
I completely missed this. Easy choice to go with this over trying to retrofit and find aftermarket protection.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2488

I want an integrated compressor though. I think it's a cool feature and useful for anyone airing down a lot, as long as it turns out to have decent performance.

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee Summit - Hemi, Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
Occupation
Self-Employed
Any idea how long the hose will be in the compressor? With no spare or run-flats, this could potentially save the day... but it needs to reach.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 2488

Any idea how long the hose will be in the compressor? With no spare or run-flats, this could potentially save the day... but it needs to reach.
It looks like it has a quick connect fitting and you could bring your own hose if the one they provide isn’t long enough. Or if you want one of those four-way setups to air them all up at once.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I’d say get what you might want on order. I’m not sure they will be like Tesla (for the better) and start offering tow package installs, MCU updates, and too many individual options. Those seem to overwhelm the service centers. It would be different if they had a 1000+ dealers nationwide already.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Good call out. I carry something like that today but they are painfully slow and perhaps not the greatest option if you're airing tires up/down while off-roading. I think there is hope the onboard compressor would inflate tires a little more rapidly although this was something the Rebelle team complained about so there may not be that much practical difference. Time will tell.
The trucks come with 120V outlet, so you can buy a much more powerful portable compressor. I actually have a portable 12v compressor sitting in my garage.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The trucks come with 120V outlet, so you can buy a much more powerful portable compressor. I actually have a portable 12v compressor sitting in my garage.
Another very good suggestion although some may feel this compromises valuable cargo space. Everyone will evaluate the tradeoffs differently so having multiple options to choose from is a good thing. This particular option hasn't really existed before so thanks for calling it out.
Sponsored