Affordable replacement tires for the 22’s -- General Grabber HTS 60

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I have an R1T with the 22” Wheels. Previous, I’ve only seen Pirelli Scorpions as a replacement option. I found this General tire on TireRack. It is rated pretty well on ConsumerReports and is 1/2 the price of the Pirelli’s. I’m far from needing new tires, but just thought I’d share this.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/general-grabber-hts-60
Sponsored

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I have an R1T with the 22” Wheels. Previous, I’ve only seen Pirelli Scorpions as a replacement option. I found this General tire on TireRack. It is rated pretty well on ConsumerReports and is 1/2 the price of the Pirelli’s. I’m far from needing new tires, but just thought I’d share this.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/general-grabber-hts-60
I would definitely be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with these.

Yes, we bought expensive cars, but that doesn't mean we can be frugal on tires if they get the job done.

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

I believe the 275/50/22 for this tire is the OEM for the F-150 Lightning. So you’re getting a tire that is EV rated. Amazing how much cheaper they are vs the Pirellis.

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I would definitely be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with these.

Yes, we bought expensive cars, but that doesn't mean we can be frugal on tires if they get the job done.
I got an alignment on our R1T a couple of weeks ago. While at this tire dealer, almost everyone from the owner on down was talking about the Rivian. I only have 3,500 miles or so on these tires, but I started the conversation as to tire choices when I need a new set. BTW, these guys also agreed as they see a lot of Teslas...they recommended 5K miles tire rotation and thought the 22" Pirelli's may only last 20K max. Overall, their thoughts were that Pirelli makes a very good EV tire, but their tires are soft compared to other brands. I asked their thoughts on the General Grabber HTS 60...they said that is defiantly an option. For our use, mostly on-road, he thought it would be a louder tire on the highway vs the stock Pirelli but would definitely last longer and is considerably cheaper. In looking in his system, he found Michelin has a placeholder for a Defender LTX M/S in a 275/50/22 115H. Currently, Michelin only list a 111H on public sites. This would be a great road/overall tire if Michelin starts producing this. He said they had this size priced at $306.00/tire with a 70K warranty. Also, of note, Michelin has a 60-day no questions asked satisfaction guarantee. This dealer's thought was if Michelin comes out with this size, you could try it, if it's a loud tire compared to the Pirelli's you could always exchange them and go back to the stock tires.

Sponsored

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I asked their thoughts on the General Grabber HTS 60...they said that is defiantly an option. For our use, mostly on-road, he thought it would be a louder tire on the highway vs the stock Pirelli but would definitely last longer and is considerably cheaper. In looking in his system, he found Michelin has a placeholder for a Defender LTX M/S in a 275/50/22 115H. Currently, Michelin only list a 111H on public sites. This would be a great road/overall tire if Michelin starts producing this. He said they had this size priced at $306.00/tire with a 70K warranty.
This is all super exciting. I knew it was early days for tires that have to bear this kind of weight and power, so I'm sure we'll see more an more options as more EV Trucks hit the market.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I thought the 22 had to be extra load now 116H instead of the 115H. That's what my current tire says. Plus I'm towing around 7500lb's so I don't want to skimp there.

Looking at Americas Tire, I don't even see a 116H rated tire. Getting nervous

Spaceball1

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 Kia EV6, 15 Mustang GT Vert
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I checked the GAWR on the door sticker on my truck (with 22s) and the rear is the highest as expected, and says 4960 lbs, which equates to 2480 lbs per wheel/tire. So if I am reading the charts right online, we should be good to down as far as 113 load rating. Factory tire is 116, however, and that is usually recommended to stick with whatever the factory tire is at a minimum.

We have many more options at the higher load ratings with 20" tires, but unfortunately with 21" and 22" we are extremely limited (21s are worse, with only 1 option!). I am considering switching to 20s, either aftermarket or some take-offs, down the road.

On Tirerack I also see the new CONTINENTAL TERRAINCONTACT A/T which is reasonably priced and it an all-terrain. I'm afraid to switch to AT for daily use as it'll obviously negatively affect the range, but I'd also like something for all 4 seasons and not have to have dedicated snows if at all possible.

Note that all the Rivian-spec EV rated tires are much lighter, thus they use less material and are less durable, but should net better efficiency due to that. The 3 22's on Tirerack are as follows:

GENERAL GRABBER HTS 60
Highway all-season
Load/Speed rating: 115T
weight: 39lbs
Treadwear: 680
Mileage warranty: 50,000 miles

PIRELLI SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON
Sport all-season
Load/Speed rating: 116H
weight: 37lbs
Treadwear: 500
Mileage warranty: NONE

CONTINENTAL TERRAINCONTACT A/T
on/off road all terrain
weight: 43lbs
Mileage warranty: 60,000 miles

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I checked the GAWR on the door sticker on my truck (with 22s) and the rear is the highest as expected, and says 4960 lbs, which equates to 2480 lbs per wheel/tire. So if I am reading the charts right online, we should be good to down as far as 113 load rating. Factory tire is 116, however, and that is usually recommended to stick with whatever the factory tire is at a minimum.

We have many more options at the higher load ratings with 20" tires, but unfortunately with 21" and 22" we are extremely limited (21s are worse, with only 1 option!). I am considering switching to 20s, either aftermarket or some take-offs, down the road.

On Tirerack I also see the new CONTINENTAL TERRAINCONTACT A/T which is reasonably priced and it an all-terrain. I'm afraid to switch to AT for daily use as it'll obviously negatively affect the range, but I'd also like something for all 4 seasons and not have to have dedicated snows if at all possible.

Note that all the Rivian-spec EV rated tires are much lighter, thus they use less material and are less durable, but should net better efficiency due to that. The 3 22's on Tirerack are as follows:

GENERAL GRABBER HTS 60
Highway all-season
weight: 39lbs
Mileage warranty: 50,000 miles

Sport all-season

CONTINENTAL TERRAINCONTACT A/T
on/off road all terrain
weight: 43lbs
Mileage warranty: 60,000 miles
Thanks for putting this together. A couple of weeks ago while getting our R1T alignment done at a local shop we had this discussion over tires. This dealer had both the Continental & the General HTS60 in the waiting room so it was nice to be able to see the actual tires. The Conti is a nice, beefy-looking A/T tire (lots of tread depth). I would go with this if you're in a 4 season state. I'm on the east coast of NC, so snow/ice is extremely rare. The dealer thought the Pirelli would most likely be the quietest/best handling/best range and most expensive. He said the General is a very good tire and maybe a good road tire choice at a very good price. He did state that Michelin if they come out with a Defender in a 115H as he saw in his system would be a very good all-season road tire, good price with a very good warranty. He said Michelin is one of 2 I think, that does not require a lot of paperwork/documentation for a tread life warranty. If I remember correctly, he said for General you would need to ensure you do proper and on-time rotations and that some manufacturers require frequent alignments if you are seeing rapid wear. I'm hoping that say a year down the road we may have a couple more options for the 22's.

Spaceball1

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yeah I usually go for MIchelin as I've had good luck with them on other vehicles. I too hope that is true about the Defender tire. I was hoping the CrossClimate one would be available in 22" as it is in the 20" for Rivians.

I frequently take advantage of treadwear warranties as I drive pretty aggressively! On my Model Y, I've had Michelin and Continential all-seasons and supplemented with Nokian winter tires. I wear through all of them pretty quickly haha

Unfortunately for me, my alignment was off on this truck (bought it used just a few weeks ago) and the front tires are already worn on the inside portion and need replaced soon. I may have to just put new stock Pirellis on it for now since the rears are still in good shape and I don't care to have different tires front/rear.

Sponsored

Spaceball1

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Learned something interesting today. Appears Rivian used two different types of 22" tires on our trucks. Not sure if it was a supply thing or they switched it over at some point. I've browsed the classifieds and I have seen 3 22s for sale on here that all have the XL 115 load-rated tires from the factory, but my truck has the HL 116. On TireRack, they sell the HL 116H, but when I looked at Discount tire they sell the XL 115H (about the same price). Looking at Pirelli's website, they list both available for Rivian-specific tires. Odd....

Pirelli Website

Sport all-season

Discount Tire
Sport all-season
Load/Speed rating: 115H
weight: 44lbs

Last edited:
OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Learned something interesting today. Appears Rivian used two different types of 22" tires on our trucks. Not sure if it was a supply thing or they switched it over at some point. I've browsed the classifieds and I have seen 3 22s for sale on here that all have the XL 115 load-rated tires from the factory, but my truck has the HL 116. On TireRack, they sell the HL 116H, but when I looked at Discount tire they sell the XL 115H (about the same price). Looking at Pirelli's website, they list both available for Rivian-specific tires. Odd....

Pirelli Website

Sport all-season

Discount Tire
Sport all-season
Load/Speed rating: 115H
weight: 44lbs
I’m pretty certain the 116 H or HL is a new category. It’s something like a +10% load capacity above the XL class at the same air pressure.

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
Had these installed yesterday!

275/50R-22 GENERAL GRABBER HTS 60 XL

$220 per tire at TireRack.com
Free 2 year road hazard
Two-day shipping
50k treadwear
$99 labor at MrTire/Monro

Noticeably smoother ride than the OEM 22” Pirelli Zeros. Those POS tires didnt even make it 15k miles. They were literally falling apart with chunks of rubber and deep gouges. Only mild off-roading on gravel and some dirt roads. Replacement Pirellis were $500 per and NO treadwear. NO Thanks!!

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Had these installed yesterday!

275/50R-22 GENERAL GRABBER HTS 60 XL

$220 per tire at TireRack.com
Free 2 year road hazard
Two-day shipping
50k treadwear
$99 labor at MrTire/Monro

Noticeably smoother ride than the OEM 22” Perelli Zeros. Those POS tires didnt even make it 15k miles. They were literally falling apart with chunks of rubber and deep gouges. Only mild off-roading on gravel and some dirt roads. Replacement Perellis were $530 per and NO treadwear. NO Thanks!!
Pirelli does say they have a treadwear warranty of 50k. Just not from the factory.

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
Pirelli does say they have a treadwear warranty of 50k. Just not from the factory.
Where did you see that? This screenshot from TireRack says none.

Rivian R1T R1S Affordable replacement tires for the 22’s -- General Grabber HTS 60 IMG_0471
Sponsored