ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

So today in 45 degree weather during my same 13mile commute home I average 2.35. With my 275/60 KO2 I would get 1.85 and with my 22” 275/50 perreli I would get 1.95. ( all these with same weather and commute to try and get as close to realistic comparison)

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg
Wow, that's great. Adjusting for temp that's pushing into ~2.7 MPK in AP...in Conserve that'd be close to 3 MPK, or a total range of 384 miles...will have to see how it settles out...
If you have an opportunity to run on flat-ish ground at 70 mph and you can get 2.4 MPK in AP that would confirm it. Range at 70 mph would be ~345 miles Conserve (307 miles AP).
Sponsored

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
@ksurfier I will be taking a long highway trip around 70mph for 120miles this Friday so I will report back with all highway numbers. Whenever I am on highway I always use conserve, no reason not to. When I drive to work and back or around town I am in AP standard

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
@ksurfier I will be taking a long highway trip around 70mph for 120miles this Friday so I will report back with all highway numbers. Whenever I am on highway I always use conserve, no reason not to. When I drive to work and back or around town I am in AP standard
I'm running the same setup with atomic aw09. my number is around 2.3 in town. I have not try conserve mode or going long distance yet. (will be in a month). I did a 25 miles test at 65 mph all purpose earlier this month and got about 2.2 ish.

I'm not sure if it is my vehicle or not, but sometimes, the 15 mins efficiency is very wacky. On a good weather slight wind day, I expect it to be above 2.2. However, I see sub 2.0.
This morning with weather at 45 degree and 10 mph wind, we get 2.5 kwh on a 20 miles to work. I'm relying on Teslafi number more than the Rivian.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ksurfier

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Any update on the tires? A 15-minute test at 65/70 would be awesome, imagine it’s around 2.4 in conserve (2.1 AP)…

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
Any update on the tires? A 15-minute test at 65/70 would be awesome, imagine it’s around 2.4 in conserve (2.1 AP)…
Unfortunately doing 70mph in 32 degree weather for 116 miles ( roughly two hours of all hwy) only gave me 2mpk in conserve. Car was preconditioned. Interior temp was 70 and battery was at 75degrees. Tire pressure was 51. I will be driving back up today to see if it changes but may be worse as we are getting hit with a rain/snow storm in the NE.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ksurfier

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Unfortunately doing 70mph in 32 degree weather for 116 miles ( roughly two hours of all hwy) only gave me 2mpk in conserve. Car was preconditioned. Interior temp was 70 and battery was at 75degrees. Tire pressure was 51. I will be driving back up today to see if it changes but may be worse as we are getting hit with a rain/snow storm in the NE.
Believe it or not that’s actually good for 32F, adjusting to 70F that’s 2.55 in Conserve or 2.25 in AP…right where you should be…
Maybe even better since you were going 70…

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
Believe it or not that’s actually good for 32F, adjusting to 70F that’s 2.55 in Conserve or 2.25 in AP…right where you should be…
It’s insane how much efficiency is lost in the cold weather. What about those who live in where it get below zero. Does the efficiency loss eventually plateau? I remember last summer on stock 22” I was able to get as high as 2.65 on a 220mile trip doing 55-80 mph. Once I get these new rims with the hts60, I’m hoping I can get me some 2.5 or higher consistently in the summer 🤞

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
It’s insane how much efficiency is lost in the cold weather. What about those who live in where it get below zero. Does the efficiency loss eventually plateau? I remember last summer on stock 22” I was able to get as high as 2.65 on a 220mile trip doing 55-80 mph. Once I get these new rims with the hts60, I’m hoping I can get me some 2.5 or higher consistently in the summer 🤞
That is some good number for 22". Last summer, i did a few 190 miles trips and the best I could get is 2.3 conserve average 70 Mph the whole way. it was around 95 degree weather. I will do the same trip in couple weeks with the new set up. Hopefully it is better. Weather probably will be in the 60s to 70s

Is there an ideal temperature? Will u get better efficiently with 95 degree or 65 degree?

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
That is some good number for 22". Last summer, i did a few 190 miles trips and the best I could get is 2.3 conserve average 70 Mph the whole way. it was around 95 degree weather. I will do the same trip in couple weeks with the new set up. Hopefully it is better. Weather probably will be in the 60s to 70s

Is there an ideal temperature? Will u get better efficiently with 95 degree or 65 degree?
From what I have researched and heard, ambient 80 degrees is the best temp for efficiency

OP
OP
ksurfier

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

From what I have researched and heard, ambient 80 degrees is the best temp for efficiency
The cold temp increases aero drag due to higher air density, but once too hot the AC consumes energy overcoming the benefits of lower Aero drag at higher temps. There’s a post showing that conserve doesn’t work below a certain temp due to inefficiency of conserves two motors trying to heat pack.

Sponsored

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
The cold temp increases aero drag due to higher air density, but once too hot the AC consumes energy overcoming the benefits of lower Aero drag at higher temps. There’s a post showing that conserve doesn’t work below a certain temp due to inefficiency of conserves two motors trying to heat pack.
Interesting. Makes sense though. That may impact how much I use conserve next winter.

BigBambu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model Y, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Not employed. Won't work.
I'm running the same setup with atomic aw09. my number is around 2.3 in town. I have not try conserve mode or going long distance yet. (will be in a month). I did a 25 miles test at 65 mph all purpose earlier this month and got about 2.2 ish.

I'm not sure if it is my vehicle or not, but sometimes, the 15 mins efficiency is very wacky. On a good weather slight wind day, I expect it to be above 2.2. However, I see sub 2.0.
This morning with weather at 45 degree and 10 mph wind, we get 2.5 kwh on a 20 miles to work. I'm relying on Teslafi number more than the Rivian.
Just curios as I am a new R1T owner ---- I have heard that 48 psi cold was the recommended tire pressure. Was your pressure taken with warmed up tires? Thanks!

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
Just curios as I am a new R1T owner ---- I have heard that 48 psi cold was the recommended tire pressure. Was your pressure taken with warmed up tires? Thanks!
Filling them to 51 from 48 won’t make any difference. I fill them to 48cold and they usually get to 51 to 53 warm

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I recently switched from the Pirelli stock 20" (275-65-R20) to Michelin Defender M/S 2 (275-60-R20).

The Michelin's have a max PSI of 50 versus 80 max on the Pirelli. If I fill to recommended 48 PSI, they end up over 50 after some driving.

Do I need to be concerned?
Sponsored