First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I have a Clipper Creek that I bought a week or so after I got my 2019 Kia Niro EV. Not the latest and greatest but works fine with my R1T. If you're charging overnight, how many miles added per hour do you really need? BTW: I did not go hardwired; if the unit ever goes out or I want to upgrade, I want to avoid expensive electrician visits if possible. Current from Clipper Creek:
Rivian R1T R1S Advice on the best universal wall charger 1649383941813

For me, the delta to go from 21.25mi/hour of charge to 25.5/hour of charge isn't worth it, but to each....

Last point, these folks are easy to deal with and actually answer questions.
Sponsored

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
I have a Clipper Creek that I bought a week or so after I got my 2019 Kia Niro EV. Not the latest and greatest but works fine with my R1T. If you're charging overnight, how many miles added per hour do you really need? BTW: I did not go hardwired; if the unit ever goes out or I want to upgrade, I want to avoid expensive electrician visits if possible. Current from Clipper Creek:
1649383941813.png

For me, the delta to go from 21.25mi/hour of charge to 25.5/hour of charge isn't worth it, but to each....

Last point, these folks are easy to deal with and actually answer questions.
Can any current vehicles even go over 11.5 kw (the hcs-60, 48 amp max like the rivian)? My older tesla model S can use the power from a hcs-80, but for the past few years, tesla went down to 48 amps max and I think that is the limit for level 2, home power charging at this time.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Can any current vehicles even go over 11.5 kw (the hcs-60, 48 amp max like the rivian)? My older tesla model S can use the power from a hcs-80, but for the past few years, tesla went down to 48 amps max and I think that is the limit for level 2, home power charging at this time.
Ford has an 80 amp option for the lightening.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I ran a 60a circuit to my juicebox 40 with a 14-50 NEMA for now. I left a bunch of extra coils of wire in a junction box elsewhere in the run. I will hardwire the rivian charger in once the truck arrives.

I think the juicebox has a decent app and has been pretty reliable for me.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
Ford has an 80 amp option for the lightening.
Ooh, good to know. It makes sense for these much higher capacity vehicles, like the hummer too, but also the rivian, they could benefit from higher on-board chargers.

Sponsored

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
Does the rivian charger have any special functionality specific to rivian vehicles that isn't available in other universal brands?

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I am not sure what an on-charger app would do that I need. My Kia has an app that lets me change charge limits and lets me know when charging is complete. My R1T likewise. I haven't looked at apps for about 3 years since I got my charger. I felt at the time that I would be paying for something I didn't need along with adding an additional point of failure.

Last edited:

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I had (or technically still do) the Juicebox 40, but I was replaced 4 times. All with the same issue of the GCFI fault. The last one I had lasted me 8 months and it suddenly wouldn't engage. Support literally told me to whack the side of it (I don't look like the Fonz). Although that got it to work. After that I got the Chargepoint Flex and had no more issues.

I don't know if Juicebox has improved since then but I'm cautious of them now. I like the features of the Juicebox better but I was left with only wall charging 4 times with them.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does the rivian charger have any special functionality specific to rivian vehicles that isn't available in other universal brands?
Integration within a unified smartphone app.

other EVSEs May give you their own app, but they will be separate from the app to manage your vehicle. The Rivian EVSE shares a single app with the vehicle.

this is pretty minor, though.
Sponsored