First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I’m about to order a wall charger in the next couple of months in preparation for a MYP. I don’t want to buy a Tesla charger as I plan to have different EVs including an R1S within the next decade ( hopefully ). Anyone have the best rated or top wall chargers? So far I have seen the Juicebox 40 as one that’s mention pretty often.
Sponsored

Polecat

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Programmer
I picked up a Wallbox Pulsar Plus for my Polestar and in preparation for the R1T.

It happens to also support load sharing like the Juicebox can do, which was why I went this way specifically since I'll pick up another Wallbox when the R1T shows up so I don't have to juggle cords.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
ChargePoint Home Flex is what I was going to get before I decided to wait for the Rivian EVSE.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Tom Moulougney does great reviews of various home chargers. I went with this ChargePoint Homeflex based on this review and it plays well with the Rivian app….flexible cord in cold weather and durability among other considerations…
(Also I didn’t have to pay any upfront cost for it as Xcel energy lets me lease for $13 a month).

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I’m about to order a wall charger in the next couple of months in preparation for a MYP. I don’t want to buy a Tesla charger as I plan to have different EVs including an R1S within the next decade ( hopefully ). Anyone have the best rated or top wall chargers? So far I have seen the Juicebox 40 as one that’s mention pretty often.
So this can be a somewhat complicated question but I think it's probably easy for you in the end, bigger is better. Do you get any discounts from your utility for charging EVs? Sometimes they need specific "smart" EVSEs so make sure to look at that.

A firefighter from Florida looking to be an electric truck? My advice is to get the highest amperage thing you can get. Future proof yourself and pull 100 amps to wherever you're putting this in no matter what you do wind up purchasing. Even if you get complicated with inverters and battery backups later maybe you have a dual EV house and now you're happy to have that 100 amps there to do both or you cannibilize that line for something with said inverter setup. Whatever it is there's a pretty big chance you'll use it and a very little chance you'll have regrets.

You're definitely going to want to max out the ability of the Rivian @ 11.5kW so that means you're going to want the Juicebox 48 and not the 40. Remember you're charging a monster, monster battery pack and even @ 11.5kW if you're starting close to 0% it may not charge overnight.

If you're going to be a BEV truck guy, you're going to want amps to the garage in the long-term even if you can get by without it. If you're spending money, spend it right up front.

Sponsored

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry for the double post but here is how I did mine anticipating a dual EV household with either an R1T or F150 to slot in alongside a small commuter. I went with the 40 instead of the 48 because my utility had a rebate on the 40, otherwise I'd have followed my own advise (another reason to check your utility before proceeding):

Rivian R1T R1S Advice on the best universal wall charger 1648217251425

-100 amps pulled to a detached garage, 1 breaker for each bay

Rivian R1T R1S Advice on the best universal wall charger 1648217363991

-Hardwired Juicebox 40

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
If you're spending money, spend it right up front.
Buy once, cry once! ?. Have you seen the price of copper wire lately? :oops:

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buy once, cry once! ?. Have you seen the price of copper wire lately? :oops:
Seeing as that's a less than one year old installation to a detached garage and an 80' run going under several patios, sidewalks and driveways I'm intimately acquainted with both labor and copper current prices :CWL:

OP
OP
Jehorton

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
So this can be a somewhat complicated question but I think it's probably easy for you in the end, bigger is better. Do you get any discounts from your utility for charging EVs? Sometimes they need specific "smart" EVSEs so make sure to look at that.

A firefighter from Florida looking to be an electric truck? My advice is to get the highest amperage thing you can get. Future proof yourself and pull 100 amps to wherever you're putting this in no matter what you do wind up purchasing. Even if you get complicated with inverters and battery backups later maybe you have a dual EV house and now you're happy to have that 100 amps there to do both or you cannibilize that line for something with said inverter setup. Whatever it is there's a pretty big chance you'll use it and a very little chance you'll have regrets.

You're definitely going to want to max out the ability of the Rivian @ 11.5kW so that means you're going to want the Juicebox 48 and not the 40. Remember you're charging a monster, monster battery pack and even @ 11.5kW if you're starting close to 0% it may not charge overnight.

If you're going to be a BEV truck guy, you're going to want amps to the garage in the long-term even if you can get by without it. If you're spending money, spend it right up front.
Yes I’d be the first with an EV in my department.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jehorton

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
And you're going to have a cheaper truck than half the guys there that does a billion things better without needing $20k in aftermarket parts that's cheaper to run than a Prius.
Seems you know firefighters pretty well haha

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seems you know firefighters pretty well haha
Father was FDNY for 40 years and I've spent a lot of time working for organizations that support them. Between you guys and military vets, I'm very aware of the ignorant conversations in your future and hope you're a patient and friendly guy :CWL:

OP
OP
Jehorton

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Father was FDNY for 40 years and I've spent a lot of time working for organizations that support them. Between you guys and military vets, I'm very aware of the ignorant conversations in your future and hope you're a patient and friendly guy :CWL:
Also a vet so I got double that coming. Hear it already. And yes patience I have.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
Hardwired vs plug-in? I believe hardwired will pull more power but also locks me into Rivian charger and means I can't take it with me when I move.

What the general thinking on this?
Sponsored