Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
My guess is that a coffee cup won’t balance. I like that you’ve kept the “wallet slot” and not enlarged it to DEEP CANYON or swimming pool size.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcdubjr

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

I guess it depends on your cup. What’s your diameter? Here’s my mug, it’s actually very steady.

Rivian R1T R1S AdventureMat - MagSafe Charging Pad 1D7A6976-E73A-4767-96C6-9159E3E393F7

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I had a customer request a special order (maybe someone here?). They wanted the vinyl to cover the holes. I have not placed chargers behind it yet, but looking good so far!

DECD0FDE-3B9F-4AF0-AEA7-FF306B713C06.jpeg
Well…. I might just have to buy a second one if you ship them like this. I would also prefer to have it look like that and hide the rings entirely! Kudos to the customer for thinking of asking for that - it didn’t even occur to me!

If there is any way to upgrade my existing one to this, let me know…

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
This prouct looks great. Well done.

Sorry if this has been covered, but has anyone figured out yet how to disable the worthless OEM charger pad? Feels like it could be triggered by items on top of it, or be an unneeded source of heat and phantom drain? Thanks.

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This prouct looks great. Well done.

Sorry if this has been covered, but has anyone figured out yet how to disable the worthless OEM charger pad? Feels like it could be triggered by items on top of it, or be an unneeded source of heat and phantom drain? Thanks.
It is super easy - there is just a plug that goes into it that you unplug once you have the cover off. I think you may have to lift up the OEM unit first to get to the plug, but that is easy and intuitive (can't remember exactly how, but promise when you do it that you won't have any trouble).

EDIT: there are three plastic clips in the front under the cover that you have to pry up. Then it all just comes out and you unplug it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcdubjr

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

Well…. I might just have to buy a second one if you ship them like this. I would also prefer to have it look like that and hide the rings entirely! Kudos to the customer for thinking of asking for that - it didn’t even occur to me!

If there is any way to upgrade my existing one to this, let me know…
I'm going to be testing a different method for a "stealth" version after I catch up on production. So lets wait for that and then talk.

TacoMcDonut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had a customer request a special order (maybe someone here?). They wanted the vinyl to cover the holes. I have not placed chargers behind it yet, but looking good so far!

DECD0FDE-3B9F-4AF0-AEA7-FF306B713C06.jpeg
Definitely like this. Wondering how strong is that vinyl? do you think the magnetic force on off on off would cause notable wear where the pucks are hiding underneath.
This was me! Thank you again for fulfilling the custom request, it was greatly appreciated.

For the wear question, I'll post some updates after a few weeks/months. I have used the MagSafe pucks covered completely with vinyl in the past in various other applications and haven't found a ton of wear.

For reference, it now looks like this with the pucks installed:

Rivian R1T R1S AdventureMat - MagSafe Charging Pad Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 16.47.53

You can see the outlines of them, which gives my wife a good indicator of where to put her phone but once it's close, the magnet grabs as it normally would.

Until Rivian creates some kind of drop in replacement for their charger, this is the best one out there by far.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
are you currently shipping? website has said 7-10 days for a bit now...

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

I am sorry if this was already covered, but are you offering it to be sold as the stealth mode or working on refining it?

Also, what is the material? Is it TPU which I think i read is closer to the rubbery texture?

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Pre-ordered. Guy did several custom coffee cup measurements for me. :rock:Good bloke.

Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
+1 for the stealth model.

OP
OP
Mcdubjr

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

are you currently shipping? website has said 7-10 days for a bit now...
Yes, that's just the message that shows up when I have no stock in hand and it turns into a pre-order. They are going out every day.

OP
OP
Mcdubjr

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

I am sorry if this was already covered, but are you offering it to be sold as the stealth mode or working on refining it?

Also, what is the material? Is it TPU which I think i read is closer to the rubbery texture?
I did a special order for TacoMcDonut. I'd do it for other too, but kinda under the "don't blame me if you mess up vinyl installing the chargers" situation. I am working on refining a stealth version as well that I will officially offer eventually.

Material is Polycarbonate - I choose for it's excellent heat resistance, it won't be melting in your car. It's covered in 3m 2080 Vinyl. It's got a bit of a textured feel to it, but is not rubbery. I did look into TPU early on - had some issues with it, especially time to print which made it unfeasible. I might come back to it in the future for some kind of rubbery top layer.

OP
OP
Mcdubjr

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

Any update on the new stealth design you are working on?
Sure. I've got a design that covers the holes with a .5mm thickness of material. I've tested with some different thicknesses and this seems to a good balance of strength without being too thick to show a meaningful change in charging speed. I got one of those usb speed tester plugs and it seems good. I need to do a little more testing in that area.

To start, I plan on selling these with MagSafe chargers to avoid any wrong size issues. I am using the JSAUX ones as they seem to have a stronger magnet. I've considered allowing people to choose the Apple OEM chargers for an upcharge - not sure about sourcing them.

I would also like to include a splitter cable (like TWRAPS does) - but I haven't really gotten anywhere with sourcing those yet. There are lots of y splitters out there but I find it hard to find specs on anything. It's not something I really want to guess on and get crappy stuff that would catch fire/explode/ or melt your face. More research needed, so maybe that won't happen in the near term. I'm open to suggestions 😆.

So... why am I not done yet? I've still been catching up on orders (getting close now). I've been running my printer nearly 24/7 for a few weeks now. Yes I'm the guy getting up 2-3 times a night... Why did I get into this? 🤣 I don't want to sound like I'm complaining though, I'm having fun and am fortunate people have ordered.

Anyways - I did decide to get a 2nd printer. It will arrive tomorrow, this will allow me to get orders out much faster and give me time to prototype other things.

TLDR; I'm not quite there yet, s00n as they say.
Sponsored