First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
One of the shortcomings I think of the R1S is that there are not enough cupholders. Especially this is meant for families. So yes, I purchased the under dash tray from BestEVMod that has two cupholders so I have four up front now.

However, for the second row, there are only two in the center armrest. This becomes an issue if there is someone sitting there 🙄 or if it needs to be put down for pass through skis or other long items.

So borrowing the idea from my previous Lincoln Navigator which had a fold down dual cupholder from behind the center console. I assume given the camp speaker (which I have never used) it prevented Rivian to put one there.

So I went on a search and found that the Nissan Pathfinder Xterras have a fold now cupholder replacement that can be found on Amazon or eBay. It works pretty well. There is an extra notch that I had to Multitool away, but then after that I put some dual sided Velcro and installed it behind the center console.

I think I it works pretty well and it’s tucked in pretty well. When not in use it can be folded away.

Call out to the genius vendor sponsors, if you could come up with something similar tailored for the Rivian I’m sure it would be a great seller. But for now, this would do. Maybe interesting for some of you out there with big families.

https://a.co/d/cqPbYuI

They probably could have put one cupholder on each passenger door, but decided to put the elastic thingy, which I suppose could be useful, but I would have preferred they added a couple of cupholders. There definitely would have been enough space.

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8665

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8668

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8669

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8670

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8681

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8682

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8679

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8678

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8672

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8673

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8674

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8680

Rivian R1T R1S Additional Second Row Cupholders DIY Mod -- dual cupholder added to center console IMG_8683
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

One of the shortcomings I think of the R1S is that there are not enough cupholders. Especially this is meant for families. So yes, I purchased the under dash tray from BestEVMod that has two cupholders so I have four up front now.

However, for the second row, there are only two in the center armrest. This becomes an issue if there is someone sitting there 🙄 or if it needs to be put down for pass through skis or other long items.

So borrowing the idea from my previous Lincoln Navigator which had a fold down dual cupholder from behind the center console. I assume given the camp speaker (which I have never used) it prevented Rivian to put one there.

So I went on a search and found that the Nissan Pathfinder Xterras have a fold now cupholder replacement that can be found on Amazon or eBay. It works pretty well. There is an extra notch that I had to Multitool away, but then after that I put some dual sided Velcro and installed it behind the center console.

I think I it works pretty well and it’s tucked in pretty well. When not in use it can be folded away.

Call out to the genius vendor sponsors, if you could come up with something similar tailored for the Rivian I’m sure it would be a great seller. But for now, this would do. Maybe interesting for some of you out there with big families.

https://a.co/d/cqPbYuI

They probably could have put one cupholder on each passenger door, but decided to put the elastic thingy, which I suppose could be useful, but I would have preferred they added a couple of cupholders. There definitely would have been enough space.

IMG_8665.jpeg

IMG_8668.jpeg

IMG_8669.jpeg

IMG_8670.jpeg

IMG_8681.jpeg

IMG_8682.jpeg

IMG_8679.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8672.jpeg

IMG_8673.jpeg

IMG_8674.jpeg

IMG_8680.jpeg

IMG_8683.jpeg
Here I am trying to forget my pre Rivian Xterra life, and you go and take a cup holder from the back seat of one and put it in a Rivian.

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is brilliant! I might have to try this myself. I don't have a dremel, so would you say this would be possible with scissors or pliers, or would I specifically need the router?

Krs71

First Name
Krish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
same thing I wanted, but something bigger so it can hold both drinks and snacks for the kids in the back

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This is brilliant! I might have to try this myself. I don't have a dremel, so would you say this would be possible with scissors or pliers, or would I specifically need the router?
Once you have a dremel or other brand multitool, you will find other uses for it, and one day say "how did I ever live without this?" Prices start at $50 at Harbor Freight but I suggest spending a bit more for a brand that won't hurt you when it breaks. 😸

Sponsored

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Exec
Here I am trying to forget my pre Rivian Xterra life, and you go and take a cup holder from the back seat of one and put it in a Rivian.
:blush: Hope those are good memories I brought back.

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Exec
Once you have a dremel or other brand multitool, you will find other uses for it, and one day say "how did I ever live without this?" Prices start at $50 at Harbor Freight but I suggest spending a bit more for a brand that won't hurt you when it breaks. 😸
Agreed, good to have in the toolbox and not very expensive.

I suppose a traditional drill with a bunch of bits could work, but might be a bit painful and come out a little rougher.

hyzerfool

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Software writin' guy
Clubs

From looking at the pictures, if you don't have a dremel then a hacksaw is your friend... or cover the bottom bump you're cutting off with peanut butter and leave it in the back yard for the squirrels to remove for you.

WhidbeyIsland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
or cover the bottom bump you're cutting off with peanut butter and leave it in the back yard for the squirrels to remove for you.
ahhh, so you've met my backyard squirrels already.. :(

Sponsored

NDIrish

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineering Operations Manager
Clubs

For next Gen Rivian's my thought is they should have in that spot and also under the front dash in the "Big Empty" and maybe a few other strategic spots... something that looks like what the Crossbars attach to but smaller for interior. just a groove and bar that is mounted solidly. Then sell different clip on attachments based on user preference.

BestEvMod(AOSK)

Site Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
if you could come up with something similar tailored for the Rivian I’m sure it would be a great seller. But for now, this would do. Maybe interesting for some of you out there with big families.
I was discussing this with the develop team yesterday!
And we been thinking very hard on how do we make a cup holder on the position you use without any tape/screw and so on. and try to prevent using the floor to secure it(because owners usually have different types of floor mat), but we dont have a good solution.

Good news is that we might have a solution coming up very soon(still testing them out), but we are not using the center console area.

So! if anyone have any good idea for a cup holder product using the rear center console, that dont require tape and screws to install it. please share your wisdom with us, we could make it happen.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
So! if anyone have any good idea for a cup holder product using the rear center console, that dont require tape and screws to install it. please share your wisdom with us, we could make it happen.
How about something that sits on top of the rear screen and hooks onto the air vent louvers to hold it in place?

In that position, both the 1st row and the 2nd row occupants can reach it. And it isn't at risk of getting stepped on by 2nd row occupants.

The screen looks cool but doesn't really do anything useful. I am sure there are plenty of people who would trade access to the rear screen for more cup holders.

BestEvMod(AOSK)

Site Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
How about something that sits on top of the rear screen and hooks onto the air vent louvers to hold it in place?

In that position, both the 1st row and the 2nd row occupants can reach it. And it isn't at risk of getting stepped on by 2nd row occupants.

The screen looks cool but doesn't really do anything useful. I am sure there are plenty of people who would trade access to the rear screen for more cup holders.
hmm this is an interesting idea, we never thought of using that position to make one.
let me bring this to the team.

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Exec
hmm this is an interesting idea, we never thought of using that position to make one.
let me bring this to the team.
If you put it up high enough you might still be able to use the screen and vents just the mounting somehow leverages the vents.
Sponsored