ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Rivian could use a few more buttons, but we don't need buttons for everything. Side mirrors should be controlled by buttons. Air Vents should be controlled by physical buttons/touch points.

But VW Group are the same ones that decided it would be a good idea to give the ID4 3 buttons for 4 windows. Or 2 buttons and a stupid toggle button. However you want to look at it, VW doesn't have the best track record for buttons right now....

VW Reinvents Window Controls
Not arguing on VW's button choices, but google some pictures for their 2025 Golf GTI refresh. Buttons are coming back, at least on the steering wheel.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Not arguing on VW's button choices, but google some pictures for their 2025 Golf GTI refresh. Buttons are coming back, at least on the steering wheel.
yeah, I was being a bit light hearted as well. I wish Rivian had steering wheel buttons like that. I hate these generic controller wheels that are repurposed depending on what menu you are in.

Anyone I drive who witnesses the ridiculous nature of trying to move the vents or side view mirrors in a Rivian for the first time knows it's a big fail.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Anyone I drive who witnesses the ridiculous nature of trying to move the vents or side view mirrors in a Rivian for the first time knows it's a big fail.
To be honest, the vents and side view mirrors, or adjusting the steering column in the Rivian don't bother me, because it is set once, and forget it. Or maybe I just don't adjust those anymore because its a PIA. I know I adjust my Jeeps vents all the time, can't ever seems to get them right, but Rivian definitely overly complicated them with electronic controls.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

.... Or maybe I just don't adjust those anymore because its a PIA.
This sums up my lack of air vent adjustment too

I'd gladly take at least 10 more buttons but I'm excited to try out the newest update with the quick button menu.

yapaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

one advantage of digital buttons is that they can be redesigned or reconfigured. with a software update, the old 2 state of suspension firmness slider is now 3 states. i know that other car companies have "infinite" turning knobs that could be used in this case but a graphical button can be made to look cooler. in fact, whole sections of our screen have been redone since we got our truck which i think have been for the better. with physical buttons, what we get when we buy a vehicle is what we will only have for the life of the vehicle.

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

Guess it is personal preference. It was a pretty simple transition to no/few buttons in a model 3 then the Rivian. I don't miss them at all.

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Goggle or Bing “2022 Ram 2500 center screen” and look at the images
12” vertical touch screen with buttons on all 4 sides 😵💫😵💫😵💫😵💫

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Not a shot at Rivian. It's a general VW-Audi-Porsche Group thing (which also include Lamborghini, SEAT & Skoda). They, like many consumers (and Hyundai/Kia), deem certain frequently-used functions are better served with actual buttons. They are not wrong, but it also cost more time and $ on the assembly line. And more when they decide to refresh the interior. But VAG is huge, so they have clout over suppliers and economy of scale on their side.

BTW, Scout broke ground today on their factory. https://electrek.co/2024/02/15/scou...ility-build-all-electric-off-road-trucks-evs/ It's still VW, so I wouldn't be shocked if they still mange to deliver a very mediocre product, despite hype.
Audi and Porsche are far from mediocre and I'd take their interiors over Rivian, Tesla, et. al any day.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

Tritium

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Physical buttons are so yesterday. Touchscreens and voice commands are a much better implementation of vehicle controls, compared to old school buttons. They allow for software reconfiguration which is a major step forward from buttons that are locked into one function.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Physical buttons are so yesterday. Touchscreens and voice commands are a much better implementation of vehicle controls, compared to old school buttons. They allow for software reconfiguration which is a major step forward from buttons that are locked into one function.
*Theoretically* sure, but I'm still waiting for an odometer on the primary display instead of reaching over to the infotainment screen while driving and clicking 3-4 deep! SMH

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I wouldn't mind having physical buttons for changing suspension height or drive mode. I'm typically on the camera screens when off-roading and there's an occasional need to switch modes. Which takes longer than it needs to.

It'd be amazing if Rivian made it easy for people to add an accessory button panel plugged into the ODB-II port or something.

Last edited:

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Audi and Porsche are far from mediocre and I'd take their interiors over Rivian, Tesla, et. al any day.
VW is mediocre, exactly what I said. Audi sometimes. There hasn't been an exceptional VW since the OG Beetle, OG Bus, Type 3, Mk 1 GTI or the Corrado. Through greed and mismanagement, VW has lost its soul; especially VWNA.

Last edited:

NDIrish

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineering Operations Manager
Clubs

https://insideevs.com/news/708867/scout-motors-buttons-interview/

“… Scout's president and CEO, Scott Keogh, and its chief designer, Chris Benjamin, both confirmed this at the brand's factory groundbreaking ceremony in Blythewood, South Carolinatoday. With their attempt to revive a storied American SUV nameplate, "screen fatigue" won't be on the menu.

"Manual is important," Benjamin told me at the ceremony today, quickly clarifying he didn't mean that kind of manual, but rather the non-digital feel of the trucks. "We want to make sure that things you use every day and not buried somewhere in the screen. Easy, functional, tactile, all super important."
There is always a balance. I love the Rivian steering wheel buttons and sliders.... I like a volume knob, and the Rivian one is perfect... I do wish we could do some more customizations, but Rivian is doing well I think. They are intuitive and useful, especially if they put the directions on the head front screen direction
Sponsored