Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

If i recall the factory was supposed to have 3 lines.

Easy enough to have 1 van 1 r1 and 1 r2 is it not? Who was saying to mix models on the same line?
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
My own half educated guess is it’ll be stamping, BiW/ paint on existing equipment, final assembly on a new line.

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If i recall the factory was supposed to have 3 lines.

Easy enough to have 1 van 1 r1 and 1 r2 is it not? Who was saying to mix models on the same line?
Three lines is certainly doable. Posts in other threads are suggesting that since R1 volume is down, they should be able to deliver R2 much s00ner by adding R2 production to the R1 or EDV line, or build EDV on the R1 line and convert EDV to R2. That’s why I created this discussion - to explain why a new R2 line is the only realistic solution. Any other solution would impact current production and be a nightmare to execute efficiently.

Spork8

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

There have been a number of threads about Rivian should do this, that and the other to get R2 production up as quickly as possible, such as converting one existing line to another, sharing lines, etc. I'm no expert on automotive lines, but I have been down this road on other types of manufacturing and production line.

My speculation is that the R2 will need to be a new line due to thousands of challenges presented by trying to convert or share an existing line and the time it would take to solve all these issues AND not affect existing/ongoing production schedules of R1 or EDV. It should be possible to share some of the work cells that already have flexible operations capability such as stamping and painting. To help visualize these engineering challenges, here are some screen shots of a video tour with RJ of the Normal factory. I encourage everyone to watch the video. It should help in understanding just how challenging any retooling or sharing will be. Any one challenge may be"easy". But multiply that times 1000, and then integrate them to all work together. Not so easy.

Stamping: Since the R2 is smaller, the existing stamping shop could in theory be retooled using the same machines. It would require new dies and motion control ("robotics") re-programming. Retooling is a normal operation in most stamping shops, so IMO it's just time to get dies made and prove it in. It's probably one of the easier processes to update for R2. But storage racks would need to be new. In the third picture below, this is probably an R1T side panel. Note how the rack is design to hold R1T panels with a support through the tunnel. That does not exist on the R2S, and R2S panels are smaller than R1S. So new racks would be needed. But in turn, that ALSO affects the robotic operations on the body shop weld line - storage racks are different, panel sizes are different..... so what has to be reworked on the existing body shop weld line?
1710089486684.png

1710089510962.png

1710089528983.png

Body Assembly Shop:
Look at the size of the R1 panels and the robots, and how closely the robots are spaced together. In the second picture, note the number of jig fixture attachment points. All that is specific to the R1. This all needs to be redesigned for the R2, and THEN figure out how to make it a flexible changeover process between R1 and R2 builds, if you built both on the same line.
1710089548306.png

1710089564376.png

1710089582001.png

Now look at the EDV body shop. These panels and robots are MUCH larger and it looks to me like this is a fixed work cell process, not a continuous moving assembly line process. RJ comments that they look like dinosaurs. There's just no way EDV could be built on the R1 line.
1710089595898.png

1710089609623.png

Paint Shop:
RJ says in the video that the paint shop already processes the R1 and EDV, and also does the skateboard electrostatic protection coating. The paint shop could be reprogrammed fairly easily to add the R2. The problem is it probably is a production bottleneck, so factory throughput of all products would likely be constrained by this work cell. In the third and several other pictures, notice the jigs that the R1T sits on during various processes. This jig (Rivian calls it the "R1 Skillet Skid" in final assembly) is designed to the R1 vehicle, so an inventory of hundreds of new R2 jigs and skillet skids will be needed. And again, every workcell may need upgrades, updates, modifications, programming due to the different size of the jig/skid.
1710089653983.png

1710089665124.png

1710089676874.png

1710089688158.png

General Assembly
Notice in the following pictures how all of the jigs are made to R1 dimensions. What would it take to retool and reprogram everything you see in these pictures to adjust for dimensional differences of R2 or EDV on the same line?
1710089702654.png

1710089722533.png

1710089737386.png

1710089748551.png

1710089763217.png

1710089797696.png

1710089776265.png
Good post. I think the comments on programming (robot and PLC) are a bit of a stretch as that is probably one of the easiest things to implement. I don't have experience with the Kuka robots that they have, but with the Fanuc ones those can be programmed offline with CAD models put in place meaning when implemented only minor touchups on points would be needed.

A problem not mentioned (sorry if it was and I missed it) is field IO and changeover. These lines were most likely built with the intent of not having another part (vehicle) built on it. So that means that the end effector wiring to each robot might need to be addressed, if possible, in order to have different end of arm tooling. That also means that panels might not have enough room for expansion modules or there isn't room to add more panels. This is all assuming that their PLC architecture isn't already maxed, though I doubt it is. Now after all that, changeover would be the biggest detractor due to how long it would take to swap out all of the jigs/nests/fixtures, plus where would they store all of them.

There's probably more, but enough has been brought up that I would hope they build a third line that can handle R1/R2 or a Pilot Line.

Last edited:

Jblaze121

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1S 20" A/T
Clubs

They have all the learnings from building and running 2 lines. They have the learnings from running two different vehicles on said line (R1T & R1S) which both have different side panel lengths and needs. I feel a hell of a lot more confident in them adding 1/2 a line and retooling for the R2 then I did for their first go around. Do we really think a bunch of engineers with this knowledge would sign off on these timelines? I'm betting RJ drives the first production R2 between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2025. They will halt R1T production to make this happen if they have to.

Sponsored

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
I find it interesting that BMW (1) makes a profit on their EV sales and (2) builds EVs, hybrids, and ICEmobiles on the same assembly line.

Seems like Ford and Chevy should hire a few BMW production engineers. And same with Rivian. $RIVN will be thankful.

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I find it interesting that BMW (1) makes a profit on their EV sales and (2) builds EVs, hybrids, and ICEmobiles on the same assembly line.

Seems like Ford and Chevy should hire a few BMW production engineers. And same with Rivian. $RIVN will be thankful.
There was an NYT article I read about this a few days ago. I'm a BMW fan and have an X3, two 3 series and a bike in the stable, but I didn't realize how successful they actually are. My wife is considering some sort of BMW EV in the future, but I put an R2 reservation in just in case she likes the R2.

"But confounding the pundits, BMW’s strategy has paid off. The company sold 376,000 electric vehicles last year, including some under its Mini brand, a 75 percent increase from the previous year. In the luxury segment, BMW was second only to Tesla, which remained dominant with 1.8 million cars. Electric vehicles accounted for 15 percent of BMW sales in 2023, up from 9 percent the previous year."

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
I would expect R2 capacity upto 100k a year, R1 is capped around 50k by their 2024 sales estimate - they recently announced no third shift so they could produce more but no demand and better to not overproduce. This gives them some experienced staff as well as time to shutdown things as needed to accommodate a partial line while utilizing paint shop etc.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
There was an NYT article I read about this a few days ago. I'm a BMW fan and have an X3, two 3 series and a bike in the stable, but I didn't realize how successful they actually are. My wife is considering some sort of BMW EV in the future, but I put an R2 reservation in just in case she likes the R2.

"But confounding the pundits, BMW’s strategy has paid off. The company sold 376,000 electric vehicles last year, including some under its Mini brand, a 75 percent increase from the previous year. In the luxury segment, BMW was second only to Tesla, which remained dominant with 1.8 million cars. Electric vehicles accounted for 15 percent of BMW sales in 2023, up from 9 percent the previous year."
I know a couple people who've picked up i4s recently and so far they really enjoy them

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

I am a former manufacturing engineer in the automotive industry. I have, quite literally, done this before.

None of the challenges you identify are new to the industry. And unlike those guys in Fremont, the vast majority of folks Rivian has hired come from inside the industry - all the way down to the people programming the robots, who worked at this plant when it was mitsu.
Sponsored