Sponsored

A Case For Choosing Vinfast VF 9 Over R1S?

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
Its hilarious the different tone of which journalists went there to be journalists, and which ones went there for a free all expenses paid trip
He is tired of the 5 star all expense paid trip and just wants to ride in a sub par electric car. Is that too much to ask?

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Six pages and not a single photo so I'll add one and keep it brief, hard no.
Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 10.32.39 AM.png
I actually like the look for the intended purpose. It was everything else about it that made me drop my reservation.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
If the 8 is any indication… VinFast is in trouble.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm really glad VinFast exists. A company with much larger coffers than Rivian and they fail this hard at their first attempts. Making cars isn't easy.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I'm really glad VinFast exists. A company with much larger coffers than Rivian and they fail this hard at their first attempts. Making cars isn't easy.
True but it is a company in Vietnam, that well known auto mecca!) and not experienced in auto building for western markets.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

True but it is a company in Vietnam, that well known auto mecca!) and not experienced in auto building for western markets.
It's a global vehicle.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
It looks like the only real case for a Vinfast is if you want to gather 80K in a pile and light it on fire.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

"Thought" I was aware of all new EV's coming to market. Apparently not. Never heard of a VF9 until reading this today. Haven't fully read up on it. Have heard about some considering battery rentals. But, I'm definitely not a fan of that concept for such a critical part of the car. If the company goes out of business, then what? You have a car that can't move. $61,000 for the VF9 without the most expensive part of the vehicle.....the battery! That means its actually more money than the Rivian and just about all other EV SUV's in its category.

I know this is now an old thread, but responding anyway, a little late to the party!!

It's a basic looking SUV. Not bad looking by any means, but looks like any other foreign SUV from Hyundai, Toyota, etc.. Kind of boring, like the F-150 being a dime a dozen vehicle.

Specs are average. 6.5 0-60 is SLOW by today's standards for any EV. 369 miles by the European standard means likely less than 300 miles of range by US standards that the Rivian is based on.

$61,000 for a less capable vehicle that doesn't include the battery is a pretty high price. Would WAY prefer the Cadillac Lyriq over the VF9. Same price point, in my opinion, much nicer looking, much more luxury and it includes the battery!

If you had to buy a battery for this thing, at that size, looking at over $30,000 easily. That takes this to over $90,000. Not a $90,000 SUV, IMHO.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Off to a great start with the VF8:

"VinFast has already begun customer deliveries, which is an amazing feat. In order to pull it off, though, the company released a product that feels unfinished and embarrassing.... As an utter unknown from an obscure brand, VinFast’s VF8 has to be great to have any hope of poaching buyers. It isn’t great. It isn’t even good....

The VinFast VF8 has the worst body control of any modern car I’ve ever driven. Over a 90-minute drive, the 5600-lb SUV never stopped bobbing, swaying, and bucking, producing near-constant head-tossing motions.... Despite the firmness you feel over impacts, though, the VF8 is also sloppy and prone to excessive roll in corners....

Steering, too, is the worst I’ve experienced on a production car. There is zero feel.... Anything more than a dawdling pace felt sketchy....

Not that I wanted to rush, anyway, as the VF8 did not inspire confidence under braking. On any slight downward slope, the car bucked and heaved under braking, squirming underfoot....

When the car’s hardware wasn’t annoying or scaring me, its software was....

I could continue, but I trust you understand that the VF8 has a litany of issues that would prevent me from ever recommending it.... The car is simply unfinished, wholly uncompetitive, and in all honesty among the worst modern cars I have ever driven."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a...licks, NON AM 90D Opens, Both Subbed Last 30D

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Off to a great start with the VF8:

"VinFast has already begun customer deliveries, which is an amazing feat. In order to pull it off, though, the company released a product that feels unfinished and embarrassing.... As an utter unknown from an obscure brand, VinFast’s VF8 has to be great to have any hope of poaching buyers. It isn’t great. It isn’t even good....

The VinFast VF8 has the worst body control of any modern car I’ve ever driven. Over a 90-minute drive, the 5600-lb SUV never stopped bobbing, swaying, and bucking, producing near-constant head-tossing motions.... Despite the firmness you feel over impacts, though, the VF8 is also sloppy and prone to excessive roll in corners....

Steering, too, is the worst I’ve experienced on a production car. There is zero feel.... Anything more than a dawdling pace felt sketchy....

Not that I wanted to rush, anyway, as the VF8 did not inspire confidence under braking. On any slight downward slope, the car bucked and heaved under braking, squirming underfoot....

When the car’s hardware wasn’t annoying or scaring me, its software was....

I could continue, but I trust you understand that the VF8 has a litany of issues that would prevent me from ever recommending it.... The car is simply unfinished, wholly uncompetitive, and in all honesty among the worst modern cars I have ever driven."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a43875030/2023-vinfast-vf8-first-drive-unacceptable/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=051223&utm_campaign=nl31464030&GID=e001efd8f8718e8a6522f1e1c7895d5e8a0e28496481085ef41846603e23d446&utm_term=TEST- NEW TEST - Sending List - AM 180D Clicks, NON AM 90D Opens, Both Subbed Last 30D
so bad I might just have to get one.
Sponsored