RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Judging by the runaway success of EV connect and the wide deployment of GE EV charging technology, the man selected to run the show doesn't fill me with confidence. Hopefully they exceed expectations!
Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Doesn’t bode well. It’s amazing how many people fail upwards!
An example of the Peter Principle at work. He simply hasn't reached his level of incompetence yet.

Rivian R1T R1S 7 Automakers Join to Create "Ionna" a Massive New U.S. EV Charging Network 1707868691762

Better Late than Never

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Desk jockey
Just to put a scope around this project - that's 5,000 new L3 installations a year. Sorry, I'm extremely skeptical. Some of these are the same automakers who have failed at their EV production plans.

"Seven automakers are involved in the plan, claiming they are set to have 30,000 charging stations up and running by decade's end."

"What will the new charging network look like? "The goal is to have six to 10 charging cables capable of 350 kW at each"
Has anyone met their EV production plans? I mean the first plans or even the second plans.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

7 different, self-interested parties giving each 6 other 'partners' to blame when things inevitably go to sh!t.

Sorry, I'll believe it when i see it and faultlessly charge from it.
Do
A charger working plan is not as useful as an actual working charger.
That's true.
Has anyone met their EV production plans? I mean the first plans or even the second plans.
I think rolling out a new technology is difficult. There are so many variables including convincing investment dollars. I'm sorry, but "We plan to roll out 1 functioning charger each month!" won't move anything.

Sponsored

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Prologue. Orders started last year. Deliveries start next month.

In North America maybe, but not in Europe.

Jeep® Avenger named as European Car of the Year 2023 | Jeep | Stellantis
The Honda Prologue (A) doesn't yet exist and (B) is a rebadged Chevy Blazer.

As for 'deliveries start next month' - in the world of ICE automakers transitioning to EV's that's not worth much. The Polestar 3 supposed started shipping in Q3 2023 (oops, no it didn't), the Volvo EX90 shipped before year-end 2023 (again, nope), the Porsche Macan EV came out in Fall 2022 as a 2023 model year vehicle (ah, not quite) and the Hummer EV launched in 2022 and has been flying off of lots - or not with only 3,000 units sold in two full years (https://carfigures.com/us-market-brand/gmc/hummer-ev).

Not saying that Honda, Stellantis and others can't play ball, of course they are capable. But are they willing and interested?

Recent evidence suggests not so much.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
.... Stellantis has been entirely absent from the game....
The Honda Prologue (A) doesn't yet exist and (B) is a rebadged Chevy Blazer.

As for 'deliveries start next month' - in the world of ICE automakers transitioning to EV's that's not worth much. The Polestar 3 supposed started shipping in Q3 2023 (oops, no it didn't), the Volvo EX90 shipped before year-end 2023 (again, nope), the Porsche Macan EV came out in Fall 2022 as a 2023 model year vehicle (ah, not quite) and the Hummer EV launched in 2022 and has been flying off of lots - or not with only 3,000 units sold in two full years (https://carfigures.com/us-market-brand/gmc/hummer-ev).

Not saying that Honda, Stellantis and others can't play ball, of course they are capable. But are they willing and interested?

Recent evidence suggests not so much.
Yeah, I get it. But you made a blanket statement that "Honda has no EVs" when they do (the Clarity was their first effort), even if the Prologue is rebadged Blazer. You're making it seem like they are anti-EV, but in fact they aren't. Badge engineering is an obviously faster way to get branded EVs out there, so that shouldn't be considered a bad thing. The upcoming Acura ZDX is a Lyriq, so Honda is doing it in their "luxury" division as well.

And let's not bash ICE manufacturers on keeping their promises when we all know what happened with Rivian. But I guess that's okay because they were a start-up manufacturer and we should somehow have to hold ICE manufacturers to a higher standard since they've been making cars for decades.

Last edited:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I am curious to see reviews of the Prologue. Seems like a good start for Honda. Or at least better than the BZ4x crap Toyota put out there...
Sure, but as mentioned already, just look at the Blazer. It's going to be pretty similar overall, I'd imagine.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I get it. But you made a blanket statement that "Honda has no EVs" when they do, rebadged Blazer or not. You're making it seem like they are anti-EV, but in fact they aren't. Badge engineering is an obviously faster way to get branded EVs out there, so that shouldn't be considered a bad thing. The upcoming Acura ZDX is a Lyriq, so Honda is doing it in their "luxury" division as well.
I love Hondas, don't get me wrong. I still have a 2008 Pilot EX 4WD we purchased new and it's running like a champ 16 years and 58K miles later. Also had a 2014 Pilot for about four years but it wasn't as well made as the 2008 so when the time came the 2014 is the one that went.

But if I roll over to my local Honda dealership this afternoon, I'm not going to see any EV's on their lot. That may change, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Prologue and ZDX Part Deux when they exist. But right now, today, they don't.

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I love Hondas, don't get me wrong. I still have a 2008 Pilot EX 4WD we purchased new and it's running like a champ 16 years and 58K miles later. Also had a 2014 Pilot for about four years but it wasn't as well made as the 2008 so when the time came the 2014 is the one that went.

But if I roll over to my local Honda dealership this afternoon, I'm not going to see any EV's on their lot. That may change, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Prologue and ZDX Part Deux when they exist. But right now, today, they don't.
I guess as long as you're okay with GM technology under the skin. Some Japanese car fans are not.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess as long as you're okay with GM technology under the skin. Some Japanese car fans are not.
THANK YOU. You've more artfully articulated my position on Honda/Acura not having EV's. I'd prefer Honda engineers to have a go, not sold on the GM Ultium approach. Frankly, it would be awesome if Honda licensed Tesla Model Y skateboards and slapped a new CR-V/Acura RDX on top.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
THANK YOU. You've more artfully articulated my position on Honda/Acura not having EV's. I'd prefer Honda engineers to have a go, not sold on the GM Ultium approach. Frankly, it would be awesome if Honda licensed Tesla Model Y skateboards and slapped a new CR-V/Acura RDX on top.
Just for the record, I'm okay with it. Many years ago, I was a Toyota fanboy. I had a couple of 4Runners and absolutely loved them right up until the frames started rotting out. Surprisingly, that didn't take very long. But other than that, my Toyotas were very reliable, as expected. Not wanting to get burned by a third Toyota in a row with frame rot, I decided to take a chance and make a switch to Jeep. And guess what? I'm now on my third Grand Cherokee in a row and couldn't be happier. Everyone tolde that I'd be sorry for getting a Jeep. And that I'd have nothing but problems. Untrue. All three of my Grand Cherokees have been 100% trouble-free and I've been driving them for going on 17 years now.

So now I no longer drink the Japanese reliability Kool-Aid. I'll buy any vehicle that suits me, regardless of original. That said, if I wanted an Acura ZDX in the future, I'm fine with the GM roots/technology.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Once these clowns see how difficult it is to purchase the land, permit, contract for electricity, source the charger components, engineer/build the stands then actually deploy and build out the site and commission it... I can envision this group dissolving before they deploy even one single site.
Sponsored