Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

I the whole industry comes together to make charging ubiquitous. It will be great for all?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46728807/ionna-ev-charging-network-annou

7 Automakers Join to Create Ionna, a Massive New U.S. EV Charging Network

BMW, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes, and Stellantis work together on a network, with 30,000 charging stations, some rather cushy, to be open in the U.S. by 2030.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

More chargers more better.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Just to put a scope around this project - that's 5,000 new L3 installations a year. Sorry, I'm extremely skeptical. Some of these are the same automakers who have failed at their EV production plans.

"Seven automakers are involved in the plan, claiming they are set to have 30,000 charging stations up and running by decade's end."

"What will the new charging network look like? "The goal is to have six to 10 charging cables capable of 350 kW at each"

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Anything additional in the EV charging infrastructure is great.

Brian

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Just to put a scope around this project - that's 5,000 new L3 installations a year. Sorry, I'm extremely skeptical. Some of these are the same automakers who have failed at their EV production plans.

"Seven automakers are involved in the plan, claiming they are set to have 30,000 charging stations up and running by decade's end."

"What will the new charging network look like? "The goal is to have six to 10 charging cables capable of 350 kW at each"
100% agree. If you assume 8 chargers per site, over 7 years that's over 500 charging locations a year. almost 1.5 a day. That seems highly unlikely to me.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

I totally understand what you're saying. These targets are always aspirational at best. I just think more functioning charges is better.

Sponsored

Dmartin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad - 21' Mach-e - 22' Model 3
Occupation
Electric Utilities
100% agree. If you assume 8 chargers per site, over 7 years that's over 500 charging locations a year. almost 1.5 a day. That seems highly unlikely to me.
Why is this unlikely? Tesla Alone has 6,000 sites they have been building for about a decade, that means 1 company by themselves has on average built 1.6 new locations a day for a decade. I think 1.5/day for this conglomerate is doable. You don't have 1 team working on all of these, you have 1 team working on say 10-15 projects at a time and have 100 teams. It's a big undertaking for sure but it's not out of the realm of possibility, and given then amount of money on the line for these companies I am certain they will want it to succeed.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
" The company announced Friday its CEO would be Seth Cutler, previously president and COO of the charge network EVgo, and a chief infrastructure engineer at Electrify America before that."

Perfect, failure baked in from day one... :rolleyes:

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Why is this unlikely? Tesla Alone has 6,000 sites they have been building for about a decade, that means 1 company by themselves has on average built 1.6 new locations a day for a decade. I think 1.5/day for this conglomerate is doable. You don't have 1 team working on all of these, you have 1 team working on say 10-15 projects at a time and have 100 teams. It's a big undertaking for sure but it's not out of the realm of possibility, and given then amount of money on the line for these companies I am certain they will want it to succeed.
If it was Tesla doing it I would say it's possible since they have been building superchargers for a decade in the US. And Tesla didn't start out building 1.6 a day, it took years to get to that level. This conglomerate doesn't have the experience with the US permitting and supply chain. As I'm told when I complain about how slow Rivian is rolling out the RAN, transformers take a long time to get these days. I just don't see how they get to 1.5 a day anytime soon. But I hope I'm wrong.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Doesn’t bode well. It’s amazing how many people fail upwards!

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This company was just announced. They need at least 6 months to get their crap together, build teams, and to line up/ramp up supply chain. Permitting, if the team has experience, is a 3 to 12 month process depending on municipality. It’s highly unlikely they will turn on a single installation in 2024.

Regarding staffing, you are assuming that they can hire enough people with reasonable expertise quickly enough to build 100 teams. These teams do the site planning/engineering/contract work but they don’t do the installation, that’s contracted out. That also takes time and has to fit into a contractor‘s schedule.

More charging infrastructure is great and I welcome it. This announcement is just reaching for the stars, it’s an idealistic goal but not a realistic goal.

One woman can make a baby in 9 months. 9 women cannot make 1 baby in a single month.
Sponsored