First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Just got back from a 4 day trip to Yosemite with the R1T. They do have FREE chargers in the valley but almost all of them have Teslas' plugged into them, need more Rivians' down there! Some pictures of the Rivian Blue R1T in Yosemite.

Updated with details:

We drove from San Diego, Was a 1032 mile round trip including a few trips in and out of the valley. Efficiency was 2.16mi/kWh and 477 kWh used. The efficiency going in and out of Yosemite valley was great! Slow 35 to 40ish mph and the up and down hills sipped the electrons from the battery. The suspension on the Rivian handled the curvy roads with ease.

Went up the 5 though LA and came in the south entrance from the 41 (from Fresno) where you come through the tunnel and see the valley open up with an "awwwwwwww" moment!

Fast charging was a mixed experience as most of my fast charging is. The first stop in Valencia was at an EVgo charger. Took us 10 minutes to find it as the directions from their app put us in the wrong mall. Found it across the street next to a Whole Foods. So plugged in and had breakfast at Whole Foods. The charging was fine, got a good charge in and continued on.

Next stop was in Fresno at a Walmart on the Electrify America chargers. The initial charge stopped after just 15 minutes and I had to go out and start it again. No idea why it stopped but anyone could press a button to stop it. Soooooo who knows. Started it again and left there with about an 80% charge.

In Yosemite there was a 7kw charger near our cabin and the chargers in the park are 7kw and FREE! Installed by Rivian. So I would park at a free charger in the park and walk around all day with the free electrons flowing in. Did I mention it was free.

Going home we stopped at another Walmart with Electrify America in Tulare and had issues there. First charger that is a 350kw I plugged in, got to 200kw within a minute and then I walked away to lunch. Lunch was a 10 minute walk so after 20 minutes I checked and it was only charging at 40kw. This is with the battery at about 25% soc. When we got back to the truck I tried again and it gets to 200kw pretty quick and then after a few minutes goes down to 40kw. Moved to another charger and that seemed to work fine.

Then back to the EVgo charger in Valencia again and had no issues there, fast charged quickly Browsed around the Whole Foods picked out a few new things to try and were on our way home.

As for time, beyond eating meals because we need to do that anyways and not going to count the charging while parking and walking around the park. I say it cost us an extra hour total.

I calculated that trip would be about $350 in gas (in my RAM 1500 with a HEMI) and it ended up costing us less than $70 in charging fees. Don't forget we are paying over $6 a gallon here in California.

More:

I was lucky to get spots on both days with all the Teslas' around. I would not mind seeing a reasonable fee for non-Rivian cars so that we actually get a chance to use these chargers. I was happy to see that with full parking lots, ICE vehicles were not taking the charging spots! The clean air spots here in California are a joke, just walk a bit more and get a spot like everyone else. But charger spots are just that, there is a 5 foot cable attached to a machine, if you are parked there and have no reason to be, park somewhere else.

I see ICE vehicles park in charge only spots sometimes but so far it has not been an issue for me personally. Would really piss me off and I would leave a note.

I will state that I am not a fan of subsidies as I don't like the government picking winners and creating losers with shared tax payer money. I am totally fine with paying for the power and offsetting the cost of charging infrastructure. I do understand that without these government incentives there would be a lot less chargers. Hopefully it becomes profitable to install these chargers and we will see a lot more of them. =s0===0n=

I know that gas stations typically make little to no money on the gas pumps and the convenience store pays for everything. I see that being true for chargers, but they are going to have to have a "destination" attached to them for that to work.

Rivian R1T R1S 4 Day Yosemite Trip in R1T 1653280927541

Rivian R1T R1S 4 Day Yosemite Trip in R1T 1653280987496

Rivian R1T R1S 4 Day Yosemite Trip in R1T 1653281058878

Even met one on the way up!
Rivian R1T R1S 4 Day Yosemite Trip in R1T 1653281087246
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

That's great! You drove from San Diego? If so, how was that part of the adventure?

lawmangm

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara
Occupation
Sales Director
Clubs

This is awesome! We live in LA, so I have a few questions for you on the Yosemite-bound experience.

1. Which way did you go? West side through Fresno or up 395 through Bishop and Mammoth?
2. How often did you have to charge?
3. How much extra time did the trip take from charging?

Thanks a ton, and truck looks SICK!

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Nice! Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places we’ve been.

“I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”

- John Muir

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Yes we drove from San Diego, Was a 1032 mile round trip including a few trips in and out of the valley. Efficiency was 2.16mi/kWh and 477 kWh used. The efficiency going in and out of Yosemite valley was great! Slow 35 to 40ish mph and the up and down hills sipped the electrons from the battery. The suspension on the Rivian handled the curvy roads with ease.

Went up the 5 though LA and came in the south entrance from the 41 (from Fresno) where you come through the tunnel and see the valley open up with an "awwwwwwww" moment!

Fast charging was a mixed experience as most of my fast charging is. The first stop in Valencia was at an EVgo charger. Took us 10 minutes to find it as the directions from their app put us in the wrong mall. Found it across the street next to a Whole Foods. So plugged in and had breakfast at Whole Foods. The charging was fine, got a good charge in and continued on.

Next stop was in Fresno at a Walmart on the Electrify America chargers. The initial charge stopped after just 15 minutes and I had to go out and start it again. No idea why it stopped but anyone could press a button to stop it. Soooooo who knows. Started it again and left there with about an 80% charge.

In Yosemite there was a 7kw charger near our cabin and the chargers in the park are 7kw and FREE! Installed by Rivian. So I would park at a free charger in the park and walk around all day with the free electrons flowing in. Did I mention it was free.

Going home we stopped at another Walmart with Electrify America in Tulare and had issues there. First charger that is a 350kw I plugged in, got to 200kw within a minute and then I walked away to lunch. Lunch was a 10 minute walk so after 20 minutes I checked and it was only charging at 40kw. This is with the battery at about 25% soc. When we got back to the truck I tried again and it gets to 200kw pretty quick and then after a few minutes goes down to 40kw. Moved to another charger and that seemed to work fine.

Then back to the EVgo charger in Valencia again and had no issues there, fast charged quickly Browsed around the Whole Foods picked out a few new things to try and were on our way home.

As for time, beyond eating meals because we need to do that anyways and not going to count the charging while parking and walking around the park. I say it cost us an extra hour total.

I calculated that trip would be about $350 in gas (in my RAM 1500 with a HEMI) and it ended up costing us less than $70 in charging fees. Don't forget we are paying over $6 a gallon here in California.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
Are the chargers part of their RAN? I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think Rivian should be investing in these as a strategic asset rather than a charitable/community good. They could still open them up to anyone, but I would like to see preferred pricing (or free) for Rivians and everyone else pays more. I'm pretty sure this is exactly what Tesla is going to do with their superchargers. And why not, they paid a fortune to build out the system.

Since owning my R1T I know realize how precarious the state of non-Tesla charging is and I live in one of the better places for public charging. I think we're on a verge of a massive supply-n-demand in-balance.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Are the chargers part of their RAN? I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think Rivian should be investing in these as a strategic asset rather than a charitable/community good. They could still open them up to anyone, but I would like to see preferred pricing (or free) for Rivians and everyone else pays more. I'm pretty sure this is exactly what Tesla is going to do with their superchargers. And why not, they paid a fortune to build out the system.

Since owning my R1T I know realize how precarious the state of non-Tesla charging is and I live in one of the better places for public charging. I think we're on a verge of a massive supply-n-demand in-balance.
The chargers inside of the park are Rivian Waypoint Chargers. That's their equivalent to the Tesla Destination Chargers. These are AC chargers/EVSEs and will be 7-12kW at most sites, which will be parks, museums, hotels, etc., again similar to Tesla's Destination Chargers.

None of the RAN DC Fast Charging stations are online yet. Around Yosemite, there will eventually be RAN locations in Fish Camp, Groveland, and theoretically Lee Vining area to the east of the park on US 351.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Not RAN, those are waypoints

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The chargers inside of the park are Rivian Waypoint Chargers. That's their equivalent to the Tesla Destination Chargers. These are AC chargers/EVSEs and will be 7-12kW at most sites, which will be parks, museums, hotels, etc., again similar to Tesla's Destination Chargers.

None of the RAN DC Fast Charging stations are online yet. Around Yosemite, there will eventually be RAN locations in Fish Camp, Groveland, and theoretically Lee Vining area to the east of the park on US 351.
Too fast...

Sponsored

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I was lucky to get spots on both days with all the Teslas' around. I would not mind seeing a reasonable fee for non-Rivian cars so that we actually get a chance to use these chargers. I was happy to see that with full parking lots, ICE vehicles were not taking the charging spots! The clean air spots here in California are a joke, just walk a bit more and get a spot like everyone else. But charger spots are just that, there is a 5 foot cable attached to a machine, if you are parked there and have no reason to be, park somewhere else.

I see ICE vehicles park in charge only spots sometimes but so far it has not been an issue for me personally. Would really piss me off and I would leave a note.

I will state that I am not a fan of subsidies as I don't like the government picking winners and creating losers with shared tax payer money. I am totally fine with paying for the power and offsetting the cost of charging infrastructure. I do understand that without these government incentives there would be a lot less chargers. Hopefully it becomes profitable to install these chargers and we will see a lot more of them. =s0===0n=

I know that gas stations typically make little to no money on the gas pumps and the convenience store pays for everything. I see that being true for chargers, but they are going to have to have a "destination" attached to them for that to work.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Nice report, i plan on doing the same trip in two weeks so this is good insight!

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
May not have happened to you but one thing that sometimes happens at EA stations is someone who doesn’t realize you can only use one of the two cables at a given charger. I heard that your session will stop if someone plugs in to the other cable on your charger.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Were you driving up in all purpose or conserve? Curious what drive mode the 2.16 mi/kwh was in.

MikeySea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X
Occupation
Gainfully unemployed

Completely agree. I've owned a Model X since 2018 and it's been jarring to attempt a longer trip in the R1T across state lines and having to rely primarily on EA for supercharging. At least Tesla seems to keep their superchargers functioning.
Sponsored