Sponsored

3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos?

caliwagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Jeep Wrangler, Volvo XC90
My takeaways from the IG AMA were (1) the storage area behind the 3rd row looks bigger than expected, (2) we can now be sure the 2nd row slides (but has no "car seat friendly tilt"), and (3) the 3rd row bottom seat cushion looks a little low to me (I worry that average adults sitting back there would have the knees-in-your-chest feeling). With that 3rd row sunroof, I would have expected them to be able to give the 3rd row more of a "stadium seating" arrangement without having a headroom problem.
Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My takeaways from the IG AMA were (1) the storage area behind the 3rd row looks bigger than expected, (2) we can now be sure the 2nd row slides (but has no "car seat friendly tilt"), and (3) the 3rd row bottom seat cushion looks a little low to me (I worry that average adults sitting back there would have the knees-in-your-chest feeling). With that 3rd row sunroof, I would have expected them to be able to give the 3rd row more of a "stadium seating" arrangement without having a headroom problem.
I mean, anything has to be better than the XC90 3rd row. you might as well be sitting on the ground there...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
at the 27 second mark, you can actually see the 40-20-40 seatback split mechanism in the video for a split second.
We've seen that in a Rivian video before (with better lighting). Keep in mind the bench is still only 60/40.
Rivian R1T R1S 3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos? seat_split

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
I’m still hoping the 3rd row is able to recline. From this image the 3rd row looks very upright.

Rivian R1T R1S 3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos? CE4D820D-A4D6-42B8-95B0-0C12348DAA51

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It actually seems quite different to me. And look how different the outline of the tailgate is, e.g., around the windows.
Note I said the depth, the interior floor behind the 3rd row is roughly the same as the lowered tailgate in both cases. And yes, the liftgate has been revised significantly since the early prototypes. We probably noticed that for the first time over a year ago. But that's not relevant to the amount of space behind the 3rd row. There are lots of little "finish" details that are not the same but the depth is remarkably consistent.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
We've seen that in a Rivian video before (with better lighting). Keep in mind the bench is still only 60/40.
seat_split.png
Yeah, but at that point, there was no indication if the design was finalized. There has been many features that have "shifted" a bit from proto builds to GA. This was one of the things that actually mattered to me since we'll ocassionally use the car for skiing (if we don't use the R1T).

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
(2) we can now be sure the 2nd row slides (but has no "car seat friendly tilt"), and
It clearly tilts. What's your definition of a car seat friendly tilt? Are you referring to the entire base of the seat tilting up and forward vs just the backrest tilting forward?

Rivian R1T R1S 3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos? tilt

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I’m still hoping the 3rd row is able to recline. From this image the 3rd row looks very upright.

CE4D820D-A4D6-42B8-95B0-0C12348DAA51.jpeg
I highly doubt it. Its likely to just lock in at one position.

And while the middle row may slide to allow access, I'm skeptical given the locked nature of the 40/20/40 ~ 60/40 split that it will be adjustable seating positions. I think its going to be more of a similar locked when in use position.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
The space behind the 3rd row looks much larger than I remember from earlier photos.
1651177285110.png
I tend to agree. But the poor light/shadow mix makes it hard to know. As always, keep us hanging, Rivian.

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
It clearly tilts. What's your definition of a car seat friendly tilt? Are you referring to the entire base of the seat tilting up and forward vs just the backrest tilting forward?

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
This feature really requires in seat seatbelts instead of ones mounted on the side of the vehicle to be useful. My wife’s QX60 has it but our son is too heavy to use latch so it’s useless because the seatbelt is mounted on the side of the vehicle and not contained within the seat.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
You need to send Rivian the link to this video and tell them this is how to make a video about the 2nd and 3rd rows.
I did. 3 times, first time early 2019.