First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I know there's an update in the works for using the rivians cameras for a dash cam. Anyone currently using one they can recommend in the meantime? I just saw a Reddit video where a driver backed down the street into someone's brand new R1T. They took delivery just 2 hrs earlier! Luckily there was a ring camera that caught it.
Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
I have a Blackvue 900 2 channel on order, I always have a 3rd party in addition to built in. Want that 4k view when I need to zoom in on a plate.

OP
OP
Mcfly Rivian

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I have a Blackvue 900 2 channel on order, I always have a 3rd party in addition to built in. Want that 4k view when I need to zoom in on a plate.
How many gigs did you order? Ps love the "taco". My plate was taco tues for a while on my tacoma.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
My Tesla has a 256gb card, might do a 128gb this time, i would not get anything lower than that.

Tacos rock!

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I run this one in my wife's BMW, front and rear cameras. Have been very happy with it!...

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
P.S., I saw that video on Reddit as well and that looks like a purposeful insurance scam to me the way the car backed up to make it look like the Rivian rear-ended him.

OP
OP
Mcfly Rivian

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
P.S., I saw that video on Reddit as well and that looks like a purposeful insurance scam to me the way the car backed up to make it look like the Rivian rear-ended him.
Yup exactly why I want one. I would have been arrested. 🤣They handled it way better then I would.

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I will be transferring my Blackvue DR900S from my current car to the Rivian when I get it. However I am not sure if anyone has fuse tapped it since I really want to continue having pretty sensitive parking mode recording. On my current car it records and gets out of parking mode once there the car starts moving and when stopped for a few mins it will go into parking mode and I have it connected to a always on circuit with a PowerMagicPro which will run the camera for 8 hours or until the 12V battery gets below a certain voltage.

The current Gear Guard function when parked is decent and the future dashcam update sounds promising but I do want 4K footage running all the time.

OP
OP
Mcfly Rivian

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I was wondering this as well. Not sure how hard it would be to get it wired up clean.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Fuse box is under the dash passenger side, I have yet to take a deep look into it. I guess s00n I'll have to.

Sponsored

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Other brands to consider are:
  • ThinkWare U1000
  • BlackVue DR900X-2CH
  • VIOFO A129 Pro Duo
Those are 4k UHD models, but those brands also carry lower resolutions if price is a concern. Also I would always recommend a two channel dashcam minimum. You never know if someone is going to come from the front or the back. Finally, its suggested to purchase a "endurance" rated microSD card that is optimized for video recording. The price difference should be minimal, and its a little extra assurance that your video recordings won't be corrupt when you really need it.

They also sell battery packs or hardwiring kits to enable "parking mode" recording, but that may be redundant with Gear Guard.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’ve been using this Vava dash cam in my Tacoma for the last couple years. I like it because it came with a rear facing camera For the back glass as well. If the truck is parked and gets bumped it turns on and records again. They also sell a 4K version now but without the rear camera.

https://www.vava.com/products/1080p-dual-dash-cam

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs