Sponsored

22" Winter Tire Options?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Just had my 275/50R22 Michelin X-Ice tires installed today - huge improvement over the stock Pirelli 22s which were at 5/32” after 11,500 miles. They look great and also eliminated my slight pull to the right. 115H load rating no issue for Discount tire. Excited to get these up to the high country!

IMG_4308.jpeg

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4305.jpeg
I was pretty close to getting the X-Ice for my 22's but ended up getting some 20's and installing 275/60/20 X-Ice(My Experience) since I have ~7/32" on my 22's with 11,250 miles

Can you elaborate on the ride change as you are still on the 22's?
Ride is night and day difference for me but I wasn't sure how much of that was from going to the 20's or how much was the tire?
They are incredibly quiet and the ride is soooo smooth now. It also eliminated my slight pull to the right that the service center "fixed"
Sponsored

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Retired (newspaper reporter)
Clubs

Just had my 275/50R22 Michelin X-Ice tires installed today - huge improvement over the stock Pirelli 22s which were at 5/32” after 11,500 miles. They look great and also eliminated my slight pull to the right. 115H load rating no issue for Discount tire. Excited to get these up to the high country!

IMG_4308.jpeg

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4305.jpeg
Let us know how those X-ice 22’s are in the snow. I bought them a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of getting my R1S which is coming soon. I didn’t want to get too deep into winter and discover they were sold out for the year, so tires first, vehicle second.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I was pretty close to getting the X-Ice for my 22's but ended up getting some 20's and installing 275/60/20 X-Ice(My Experience) since I have ~7/32" on my 22's with 11,250 miles

Can you elaborate on the ride change as you are still on the 22's?
Ride is night and day difference for me but I wasn't sure how much of that was from going to the 20's or how much was the tire?
They are incredibly quiet and the ride is soooo smooth now. It also eliminated my slight pull to the right that the service center "fixed"
Feels like a high end vehicle now - road noise is similar but the quality of the ride, bump compliance, etc is significantly better. Just feels like I’m “gliding” instead of feeling EVERYTHING with the stock tires. No more pull to the right either, mine has been in for alignment and steering wheel shake a few times but zero issues with these at all.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Let us know how those X-ice 22’s are in the snow. I bought them a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of getting my R1S which is coming soon. I didn’t want to get too deep into winter and discover they were sold out for the year, so tires first, vehicle second.
I did the same - bought these last year before taking delivery in March and didn’t want to put them on for 1 month so never installed them. They sat in storage since then. Got them pre inflation pricing so not mad!

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I did the same - bought these last year before taking deliver in March and didn’t want to put them on for 1 month so never installed them. Got them pre inflation pricing so not mad!
Sweet. I see you're in Denver. Have you given them a snow workout yet? We're in Golden. Our use case will be driving to (or near to in winter, since we have to snowshoe in the final couple of miles Dec. to June) our remote cabin in Park County. I'm also anxious to see how the battery drain is leaving the Rivian parked outside on our weekend visits. Round trip is about 170 miles, we will have the dual motor at 340 miles range. Though there is charging in Fairplay, I prefer not to stop.

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Sweet. I see you're in Denver. Have you given them a snow workout yet? We're in Golden. Our use case will be driving to (or near to in winter, since we have to snowshoe in the final couple of miles Dec. to June) our remote cabin in Park County. I'm also anxious to see how the battery drain is leaving the Rivian parked outside on our weekend visits. Round trip is about 170 miles, we will have the dual motor at 340 miles range. Though there is charging in Fairplay, I prefer not to stop.
No snow workouts yet. I was trying to hold out and wear down the stock tires as long as possible before some ski trips but this last storm highlighted just how worn my tires were and I won’t take the family up safely without snow tires on this vehicle - we will start skiing soon. You will be TOTALLY fine on the 170 round trip voyage, even in cold you might lose a couple of miles overnight and the trip back will be perfect for regen downhill. You’ll be much more efficient coming home than going there!

in a pinch, you could always charge in Fairplay, Frisco, Silverthorne, or Georgetown, but I really doubt you would need it.

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks, glad to hear your confidence! We need more snow.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thanks, glad to hear your confidence! We need more snow.
It's coming - at least thats what I hope with these snow tires!

This is the standard quad starting at 90% with ABRP from Golden to Fairplay, about 155 miles round trip. 38% lost on the way up, 25% on the way down. If you charged up to 100% you'd still have at least a 30% cushion. And you have the more efficient Dual.

Rivian R1T R1S 22" Winter Tire Options? 1702421712933

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

X-Ice FTW - The right tire right there. A winter tire with a mileage warranty is almost unheard of. These were tested against an AS with chains, cables, ties and socks. The X-Ice performed better in snow than them all - ice, not so much, but if you start with the right tire, you only need accessories in the extremes - +1 for the X-Ice here.

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

It's coming - at least thats what I hope with these snow tires!

This is the standard quad starting at 90% with ABRP from Golden to Fairplay, about 155 miles round trip. 38% lost on the way up, 25% on the way down. If you charged up to 100% you'd still have at least a 30% cushion. And you have the more efficient Dual.

1702421712933.png
Thanks for that!!
Sponsored