Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Curious, did it come with specs to say what the heat range is for use or for storage? I think most standard drives are only rated to around 45 c (114 F). I think one not designed for extreme temps will fail frequently in the summer, eve mild days exceed 120 in less than an hour.

IMG_3294.jpeg
Well, that's beyond my pay grade. However, common sense will tell me that since it's a "drive cam" feature, it's being used while driving. Can't imagine too many people will driving around with their interiors at over 114 degrees!

It says that security or incident events are saved to the vehicle's hard drive.

I used these in my Tesla for 9 years. Never had any problems. For $28, not too concerned about it either.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Well, that's beyond my pay grade. However, common sense will tell me that since it's a "drive cam" feature, it's being used while driving. Can't imagine too many people will driving around with their interiors at over 114 degrees!

It says that security or incident events are saved to the vehicle's hard drive.

I used these in my Tesla for 9 years. Never had any problems. For $28, not too concerned about it either.
I just wanted to share the information for the thread to give people something to think about.

Just to clarify, there are usually 2 ratings, sometimes they are the same and sometimes 1 is higher than the other. One is the rating for while in use and the other is simply storage meaning just being in the vehicle.

For instance I’m using this one, withstands 0°C to 60°C operating, -10°C to 70°C non-operating. Does not mean it will fail outside of those ranges but chances are it could.

60 C is 140 F and 70 C is 158 F, still not great on the cold side as -10 C is 14 F but in SoCal I won’t see that cold number.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Anybody else feel that the ultrasonic parking sensors range is off after this update? I always pulls into my garage until the front bars turn orange, one step before red, and it's the perfect fit. I don't have a TON of wiggle room. When I do that, I tend to have about 1 foot behind my truck for the door to close. Now when I pull in to the orange, the garage door is nearly scraping my rear bumper. Kinda weird. So it's saying I'm as close to the front as before, but I'm a solid 6-8" farther away.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Anybody else feel that the ultrasonic parking sensors range is off after this update? I always pulls into my garage until the front bars turn orange, one step before red, and it's the perfect fit. I don't have a TON of wiggle room. When I do that, I tend to have about 1 foot behind my truck for the door to close. Now when I pull in to the orange, the garage door is nearly scraping my rear bumper. Kinda weird. So it's saying I'm as close to the front as before, but I'm a solid 6-8" farther away.
Mine has been goofy for a while on the conservative side. It will alert with nothing around me on occasion when going slow.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

So...anyone else with a Mac running macOS 13 try to view your Drive Cam videos yet? My drive, a 1TB NVMe, won't mount on my Mac. The same drive mounts fine on my Windows 10 gaming rig. To same I'm displeased is an understatement.

Edit: It does show up in the Disk Utility as a FAT32 volume, but refuses to mount. Strictly speaking, FAT32 is limited to 32GB partitions, yet Rivian says the support 128GB - 2TB. Kinda curious why on earth they didn't use exFAT instead. For what it's worth, a 256GB thumb drive worked fine with the previous Gear Guard implementation, but it was formatted on my Mac, not in the truck.
So for posterity, the Sandisk NVMe drive I was using seems to not play nice with my Mac with the Rivian's formatting. I got one of the Samsung T7 drives and have no issues either in the truck or mounting the drive on my Mac. Go figure.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

this is my first OTA as ive had the truck a month. does it always take a lot of battery to complete the upgrade? i went from 116 miles of range to 107 in about 30 min.

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
this is my first OTA as ive had the truck a month. does it always take a lot of battery to complete the upgrade? i went from 116 miles of range to 107 in about 30 min.
I did the update over night. I did not see a change in percentage or range the next day.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
Canadian here with a Samsung T7 drive ready to go....still waiting for the update.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
So not sure what I've done wrong but it doesn't seem to be doing the constant recording. If I click the little camera it will record but when reviewing I do not see any other videos.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

So not sure what I've done wrong but it doesn't seem to be doing the constant recording. If I click the little camera it will record but when reviewing I do not see any other videos.
The persistent recordings are only available if you plug the drive into a computer.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

May have pre-judged the new location of the trip meters?

Yes, from the start, they are about three taps away, if you know where to go. In the past, they were always at least two taps away. Every time you tapped out of that screen and went back to it, would take you to the A or B choice which you then had to select again as the A or B trip did not remain open.

However, now, with it being in settings, assuming you use it often, then the "settings" icon stays front and center on the screen as your most recently used icon. Thus, simply tapping on the "settings" icon takes you back to the last place you were in "settings". If that was the trip meter, then it's right there with Trip A or B already pulled up, thus is just a single tap away in this scenario. It doesn't close out the A or B trip. The old way, once you exited out of the trip meter page, it closed the Trip A or B window, thus you had to get back to the trip meters page then select A or B again, always.

I'm one that uses it regularly. So the "settings" icon is usually still on my screen. So in reality, for me, most of the time, it's now just a single tap away to see my Trip A results whereas it had generally been at least two taps away.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
May have pre-judged the new location of the trip meters?

Yes, from the start, they are about three taps away, if you know where to go. In the past, they were always at least two taps away. Every time you tapped out of that screen and went back to it, would take you to the A or B choice which you then had to select again as the A or B trip did not remain open.

However, now, with it being in settings, assuming you use it often, then the "settings" icon stays front and center on the screen as your most recently used icon. Thus, simply tapping on the "settings" icon takes you back to the last place you were in "settings". If that was the trip meter, then it's right there with Trip A or B already pulled up, thus is just a single tap away in this scenario. It doesn't close out the A or B trip. The old way, once you exited out of the trip meter page, it closed the Trip A or B window, thus you had to get back to the trip meters page then select A or B again, always.

I'm one that uses it regularly. So the "settings" icon is usually still on my screen. So in reality, for me, most of the time, it's now just a single tap away to see my Trip A results whereas it had generally been at least two taps away.
tapping on settings does not take me to the last place I was in settings— it defaults to the top option in settings.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

tapping on settings does not take me to the last place I was in settings— it defaults to the top option in settings.
Strange. On mine, it goes right back to where I was, using the "settings" icon that's on the screen as a result of being the most recent place visited.

If I use something else in between and have to tap the up arrow to get to the settings icon, then yes, it resets. Guessing that's likely the difference. So only relevant if "settings" was the last move prior to where you are currently at.

Hence, I can go to music and right back to settings or to Navigation and right back to settings. But, if I go to music, then navigation or some other place, the "recent" settings icon goes away. Once it's gone, then its back to multiple taps. Only if the settings icon remains on the screen and your last place in "settings" was on the trip meter.

If any of that makes sense!! LOL

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Strange. On mine, it goes right back to where I was, using the "settings" icon that's on the screen as a result of being the most recent place visited.

If I use something else in between and have to tap the up arrow to get to the settings icon, then yes, it resets. Guessing that's likely the difference. So only relevant if "settings" was the last move prior to where you are currently at.

Hence, I can go to music and right back to settings or to Navigation and right back to settings. But, if I go to music, then navigation or some other place, the "recent" settings icon goes away. Once it's gone, then its back to multiple taps. Only if the settings icon remains on the screen and your last place in "settings" was on the trip meter.

If any of that makes sense!! LOL
Looks like that’s the case. They really need let us customize the menu bar. I need camera and uh I guess settings now not drive mode and vehicle (anymore)

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

I noticed with this release that WiFi will have a line through it to show disabled. I don’t recall this in previous versions.
when going into drive, now the icon will change and show it isn’t active.
Anyone on an older version able to see the difference and if available try to connect to a phone hotspot for instance?
I’m wondering if this was always there or new behavior so you can’t tether the truck while driving to bypass a subscription
Sponsored