SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

As I am well into my fifth year of this Rivian journey, I am wondering how many others are in this same boat. Rivian is telling me that I cannot have a truck because I do not live near a Service Center. I understand that Rivian is now adding two more Service Centers in Florida, one in Tampa and another in Jacksonville. They will now have four Service Centers in Florida but still cannot service the entire state. I am more than 300 miles from any of these Service Centers. I have found that being a very early adopter is meaningless if you don't reside in the right place.

Brian
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I think we've talked elsewhere on the forum, you should change your delivery address to your son's in Jacksonville. I'll bet you a Gear Guard Gary doll you get invited to spec your ride, or at least the Shop, within a month.

Edit to add:

You've been at this long enough to know the rules of the game. So play their game and get your ride!

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I think we've talked elsewhere on the forum, you should change your delivery address to your son's in Jacksonville. I'll bet you a Gear Guard Gary doll you get invited to spec your ride, or at least the Shop, within a month.

Edit to add:

You've been at this long enough to know the rules of the game. So play their game and get your ride!

I have been a little leery about doing this as Rivian has already scolded me for changing my address to the Factory in the past. I think that I am going to do as you suggest and use my son's address in Jacksonville. He took delivery of his R1S last Wednesday and absolutely loves it.

I will keep you apprised on how this turns out. I'm sick of waiting.

Brian

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I just changed my delivery address to Jacksonville.

Brian

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Be careful what you ask for... there are certainly some challenges with these vehicles living 300 miles from the Service Center. Arranging (paying) for flat bed haulers, taking time off work to get service work done, etc., etc.... it's not quite what we were led to believe back in 2019!

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I have been a little leery about doing this as Rivian has already scolded me for changing my address to the Factory in the past. I think that I am going to do as you suggest and use my son's address in Jacksonville. He took delivery of his R1S last Wednesday and absolutely loves it.

I will keep you apprised on how this turns out. I'm sick of waiting.

Brian
Justify it this way. Someone who lives 5 miles from an SC takes delivery. A month later, they move and the nearest SC is 300 miles away. Same difference.

As long as you are actually cool with being 300 miles from an SC...

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Be careful what you ask for... there are certainly some challenges with these vehicles living 300 miles from the Service Center. Arranging (paying) for flat bed haulers, taking time off work to get service work done, etc., etc.... it's not quite what we were led to believe back in 2019!
I realize that I am rolling the dice to some extent, but after four and a half years, I am sick of waiting. The Florida Panhandle is pretty sparsely populated. It could well be years before there is a Service Center in this area.

I think that Rivian has worked out most of the bugs at this point. I plan to ask for factory delivery. We are going to spend a week or so touring around Central Illinois. This will give us the opportunity to return to the Factory Service Center for any necessary adjustments.

Brian

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Justify it this way. Someone who lives 5 miles from an SC takes delivery. A month later, they move and the nearest SC is 300 miles away. Same difference.

As long as you are actually cool with being 300 miles from an SC...

I am cool with it. I really want my R1T.

Brian

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I realize that I am rolling the dice to some extent, but after four and a half years, I am sick of waiting. The Florida Panhandle is pretty sparsely populated. It could well be years before there is a Service Center in this area.

I think that Rivian has worked out most of the bugs at this point. I plan to ask for factory delivery. We are going to spend a week or so touring around Central Illinois. This will give us the opportunity to return to the Factory Service Center for any necessary adjustments.

Brian
You've earned it! ...not sure there's an older reservation holder on this forum that hasn't yet taken delivery!

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

You've earned it! ...not sure there's an older reservation holder on this forum that hasn't yet taken delivery!
I would think there are a few very early adopters secreted away up on a remote mountain top somewhere. Our son, whose order date was the same as ours (11/28/2018), just took delivery of his Rivian last Wednesday. His was a white R1S with the OC interior.

Brian

Sponsored

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Take time and visit Chicago and St. Louis, all within a couple hours of Normal for day trips Plenty to see and do especially with all the local festivals toward late spring to early fall. I will take this over the traffic of people and cars in the "big" city. The UofI Engineering open house is this upcoming weekend and well worth the hour drive from Normal for anyone picking up this week.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Take time and visit Chicago and St. Louis, all within a couple hours of Normal for day trips Plenty to see and do especially with all the local festivals toward late spring to early fall. I will take this over the traffic of people and cars in the "big" city. The UofI Engineering open house is this upcoming weekend and well worth the hour drive from Normal for anyone picking up this week.
Starved Rock State Park is lovely:

https://www.starvedrocklodge.com/starved-rock-state-park/

Lots of good history, especially Abe Lincoln themed history in Springfield, IL.

Love that you mentioned U of I. I'm an alum, class of 1996. Great college town worth a visit. I've actually never been to Normal, IL, but with Illinois State University being there, I'm sure there is college town charm there as well.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S

Brian
I have a (second) house near you, and I think the sparse population there is more of a feature than a bug.

Availability of real DCFC (except for Tesla) is a real issue, but mostly mitigated if you can charge at home.

You might consider leaving it at your son's house for a couple of weeks, letting him drive it and taking it in for any bugs he finds. Then you can drive it home.

I picked up mine in Detroit, MI, almost 800 miles from my house (and the service center local to me). The first miles on the truck were in the middle of a winter storm warning in truly awful weather.

My R1S has been trouble free for over 2000 miles (including a round trip to Destin) in the first few weeks, the only squawks are minor cosmetic things. I've driven by the service center, and they say they aren't terribly busy right now, so it's a good time to get the little things addressed.

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

A week touring around central Illinois? Thoughts and prayers.
Actually, we do this type of touring on a regular basis. We have an Airstream Travel Trailer. Over the past 17 years, we have spent over 2,200 nights in the Airstream. We have explored all of the lower 48 States, Alaska, and most of the Provinces in Canada. We explore the small towns on these trips. We stay off the Interstates, and travel the US and State highways. Touring Central Illinois would be a normal trip of exploration for us.

Our plan for delivery of our R1T is to travel to the Bloomington area with our Aistream pulled by our Silverado Duramax. We have already picked out a campground just north of the Rivian Factory. We will take delivery of our R1T at the Factory. We will remain camped in the area for the next week or so. This will give us an opportunity to use our new Rivian extensively touring the area. After the new truck is broken-in, we will hook the Airstream to her and start our trip back toward Florida. SuEllyn will drive the Rivian and pull the Airstream. I will follow her in the Silverado.

Brian
Sponsored