First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Trying to catch up on this thread since my ATs are louder than my kids(me) screaming taylor swift songs.

My local Discount Tire only has these in E1 load range, $388/tire. Worth it to go somewhere else to get the XL versions?

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
Trying to catch up on this thread since my ATs are louder than my kids(me) screaming taylor swift songs.

My local Discount Tire only has these in E1 load range, $388/tire. Worth it to go somewhere else to get the XL versions?
If you want the recon grapplers absolutely go with the 116T and not the E Load rating version

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
I’m really curious with the guys that have these installed, what's your opinion on them in the wet? I’ve had some road trips in the pirelli 20’s in heavy rain and I had the tires hydroplane on me a few times. My confidence in them or AT tires is not high with that.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I’m really curious with the guys that have these installed, what's your opinion on them in the wet? I’ve had some road trips in the pirelli 20’s in heavy rain and I had the tires hydroplane on me a few times. My confidence in them or AT tires is not high with that.
Any tire can hydroplane if you go fast enough and the water is deep enough, because you've exceeded its ability to displace water. I've hydroplaned in a X5 with brand new Continental Extreme Contact AWS06s, which is a very good wet weather tire. Just drive slower.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
Any tire can hydroplane if you go fast enough and the water is deep enough, because you've exceeded its ability to displace water. I've hydroplaned in a X5 with brand new Continental Extreme Contact AWS06s, which is a very good wet weather tire. Just drive slower.
Yeah that’s a given, but when it happens on roads you’re familiar with on other tires it gives you pause.

(Edit) I live in south Florida so it’s always raining

xeeps

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jaguar iPace, Volvo XC 90 PHEV
Clubs

I recently purchased a set of these recon grapplers, but I’m curious what pressure people run theirs at. I’ve been using 44 psi but I think I read here that some people are running them at 48. I’d love to have my Rivian stop complaining that my tire pressure is too low every time I drive. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

Last edited:
OP
OP

moonjeong

First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Analytics
I recently purchased a set of these recon grapplers, but I’m curious what pressure people run their at. I’ve been using 44 psi but I think I read here that some people are running them at 48. I’d love to have my Rivian stop complaining that my tire pressure is too low every time I drive. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!
I run them at 46

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I don't think thinner air is going to make any real difference in efficiency for an EV. For ICE, of course because it messes with the air/fuel ratio. But if you're saying that an EV will cut through thinner air easier, then I'll have to disagree. If there's any difference at all, it would be far too small to measure in any way. I'd be open to anyone who can prove me wrong.
You are likely wrong. See Kyle out of spec.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Can you drop ship to DT and they do the install? I've done that on my other cars.

Sponsored

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Can you drop ship to DT and they do the install? I've done that on my other cars.
I messaged discount tire's chat and they sent me the link of how to order them to my local store.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I'm not sure whether to thank OP, or hate him. Or both. I didn't plan to drop $1500 today. But I absolutely hate the noise of my OEM Pirellis at only 15k miles. So terrible. And I'm a total princess about droning noises like tires and generators. So here we are, they had an $80 off deal ending today, and the Tire Rack card gives me some cash back.

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Nitto Recon Grappler AT tires 25% more efficient than Pirelli OEM AT! The holy grail! CleanShot 2024-04-28 at 11.03.45@2x

OP
OP

moonjeong

First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Analytics
I'm not sure whether to thank OP, or hate him. Or both. I didn't plan to drop $1500 today. But I absolutely hate the noise of my OEM Pirellis at only 15k miles. So terrible. And I'm a total princess about droning noises like tires and generators. So here we are, they had an $80 off deal ending today, and the Tire Rack card gives me some cash back.

CleanShot 2024-04-28 at 11.03.45@2x.jpg
When you don’t know to thank or to hate, that’s called love my friend! You’ll like those!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I messaged discount tire's chat and they sent me the link of how to order them to my local store.
My trick to fool the Discount/Tire Rack system was to go find the exact tire by size and weight class, using incognito mode so it wouldn't know my vehicle. Then once I had the specific URL for the tire, I copied it and pasted to my main browser, and was able to order them.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Thanks OP - I'm going to be looking for newtires soon and happy to see a good NITTO option.
Sponsored