Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

Highway run completed. With the Pirelli's @ 14k miles, in 'All Purpose' mode with light traffic, no wind, and at 85 degrees, I averaged 2.29mi/kwh and burned through 11.4kwh of power over 26.3 miles.

That is slightly less than the ABRP estimates of 2.46mi/kwh. That calculates to a theoretical range of 286.25 miles assuming that I run through all of the 125kwh battery.
Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Wait how come no pictures of how it looks on the truck

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Update:

Highway run completed. With the Pirelli's @ 14k miles, in 'All Purpose' mode with light traffic, no wind, and at 85 degrees, I averaged 2.29mi/kwh and burned through 11.4kwh of power over 26.3 miles.

That is slightly less than the ABRP estimates of 2.46mi/kwh. That calculates to a theoretical range of 286.25 miles assuming that I run through all of the 125kwh battery.
This is really good data, thank you. Will you be running the same loop with the new tires?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Wait how come no pictures of how it looks on the truck
Install day is Monday. I'll put em side by side tomorrow and take a few pictures prior, and then again after the install.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
For off roading purposes EVs have a fatal (to tires) combo of heavy weight and substantial power/torque.

The market will probably slowly come around but for now it may be useful to check out Hankook’s new EV tire lineup and the design choices they’ve made to ensure better durability, noise, and performance for road tires.

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/en/tire/ion/evo-suv.html

For dry conditions road tires can work just fine off-road over gravel/rock as long as you don’t air down and reduce your load rating. If you need to get into deep mud or sand the Rivian will suck because you’d need 40s to have enough volume for adequate flotation on an 8k pound truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
For off roading purposes EVs have a fatal (to tires) combo of heavy weight and substantial power/torque.

The market will probably slowly come around but for now it may be useful to check out Hankook’s new EV tire lineup and the design choices they’ve made to ensure better durability, noise, and performance for road tires.

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/en/tire/ion/evo-suv.html

For dry conditions road tires can work just fine off-road over gravel/rock as long as you don’t air down and reduce your load rating. If you need to get into deep mud or sand the Rivian will suck because you’d need 40s to have enough volume for adequate flotation on an 8k pound truck.
These don't appear to be made in a size anywhere close to what is needed for the Rivian R1T or R1S, unless I'm missing something.

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The second route is going to be a highway run of about 25 miles, again through the 'South Hills' of Pittsburgh. It's a straight shot at about 65 mph with around 400ft of elevation change -- very similar to the around town test. This is on purpose, and the destination is Waffle House ... so, yeah. :)

1690001240300.png

I've not run this yet with either tire setup. I will do so this weekend however as I have an appoint to swap to the new tires on Monday.
Thanks much for the dedicated testing; plenty of people will be looking for some data on 20 replacements soon if not already.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

Good news, bad news. The ride is significantly better, as expected. The noise is much lower, as hoped for -- it's a 5db drop, but even more so with the difference in tone. The look is good - I'll post pictures when I have time.

Energy efficiency is not what I hoped for though. I ran the highway leg twice and received similar numbers. 2.19mi/kwh. Thats a .1 mi/kwh decrease at highway speeds. That equates to a 273.75 miles if I run down the entire battery, which is 12.5 miles less or about a 4% loss in efficiency.

Bummer.

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Update:

Good news, bad news. The ride is significantly better, as expected. The noise is much lower, as hoped for -- it's a 5db drop, but even more so with the difference in tone. The look is good - I'll post pictures when I have time.

Energy efficiency is not what I hoped for though. I ran the highway leg twice and received similar numbers. 2.19mi/kwh. Thats a .1 mi/kwh decrease at highway speeds. That equates to a 273.75 miles if I run down the entire battery, which is 12.5 miles less or about a 4% loss in efficiency.

Bummer.
Dissapointing, but thanks for the results.

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
Update:

Bummer.
What pressure did you run? Max pressure appears to be 80. That might be a hard ride, but you can probably go higher than the pressure on used for the Pirellis.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
What pressure did you run? Max pressure appears to be 80. That might be a hard ride, but you can probably go higher than the pressure on used for the Pirellis.
Good point. I ran around 50 on them, just like the Pirellis. I'll push them up to 60 and see how they ride and the range implications.

ajthejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S,‘19 Tundra 1794,‘19 XC90
Clubs

Good point. I ran around 50 on them, just like the Pirellis. I'll push them up to 60 and see how they ride and the range implications.
Any new update here after tire pressure bump? And got a photo or two? Thanks!

Reactions: Guy
OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Since my last post I've periodically re-ran the testing for the highway portion of this multiple times, at 50-60 psi, and most recently with the update that was just pushed to my vehicle.

The efficiency remains very steady, albeit slightly down from the stock tires. The sound and ride is consistently excellent - better than stock - and I now have 2,000 more miles on them.

Considering I purchased these for just over $300 each (2/3 the cost of the Pirelli's) I'd say they are a solid option. Losing a bit of range doesn't feel good, but in reality I've never noticed a difference. I'm glad they are made in the USA.

I went to OBX about a month ago, which is a 500+ mile trip, and I was still able to get 300+ miles of range in Conserve. I was theoretically able to make it home with one single charging stop, even though my bladder was not.

Rivian R1T R1S 20" AT Tire Replacement - Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 IMG_1748.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 20" AT Tire Replacement - Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 IMG_1765.JPG

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I just got a set of LT275/60R20 123S installed. I originally was planning to get the passenger (SL, 115 load index) sidewall version, but I got a killer deal on the LT version and I couldn’t turn it down. $805 mounted and balanced at Discount Tire after a price match to Amazon (random clearance, it’s gone now), $110 instant rebate from Yokohama, $40 AAA discount, and no sales tax.

I’m expecting 15-17% range loss on these at 50 psi. I could bump the pressure up to recapture some of that, but I don’t think it would be safe in the winter here in Oregon, the ride would become stiff and the steering floaty. At 50 psi the ride is much better than the stock all season tires.

I’ll test them for a couple weeks and report back. If the efficiency hit is worse than 20% I’ll probably return these (30 day guarantee) and try to get the 115H passenger version.

Rivian R1T R1S 20" AT Tire Replacement - Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 IMG_1884
Sponsored