Sponsored

1st Cybertruck deliveries officially set for Nov 30... annual production capacity >125K

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

There are still delusional people out there who think they're will be a $40k base model. I'm expecting $69,420 for the base dual motor and $90k for the plaid
But how long are you expecting those prices? One year...18 months...2 years? Realistically, how long until the hardcore fanbois have all bought theirs? Tesla has recently shown they aren't afraid to drop prices thousands of dollars on whim to meet end of quarter numbers.
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Do people with cybertruck reservations expect their insurance company to not total the thing out from a little dent? Serious question.
No loI, don't expect that; but I guess time will tell.

Repair after my last deer strike in the model Y was $18k. I would be surprised if replacing an entire SS panel even came close to that.

But of course, we are both entirely in the realm of speculation, so I will buy one & thrash it... Just like I have done with dozens of other vehicles. Then we will know.
😎

Reactions: MWB

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
My guess is that it'll disappoint on actual range but will be priced competitively. We'll find out in 6 weeks

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, LE R1T
Occupation
Retired Chemical Engineer
Tell me, what are the functions? We know it’s not an exoskeleton. We know that the “cybercell” batteries are no more energy dense than 2170 batteries.
What are these functions which form supposedly follows?
The metrics most care about are range, charging speed, payload and towing capacity. The CT will excel in all. Acceleration is a given. The aerodynamics of the triangle design reduces drag leading to better efficiency per Kwh of battery capacity regardless of chemistry. 800 volt architecture, four-wheel steer, 16" ground clearance, best in class approach and departure angles, SS body, 24-volt system, (remember Rivian's 12 volt woes) etc....you know, just functions truck guys care about.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The metrics most care about are range, charging speed, payload and towing capacity. The CT will excel in all. Acceleration is a given. The aerodynamics of the triangle design reduces drag leading to better efficiency per Kwh of battery capacity regardless of chemistry. 800 volt architecture, four-wheel steer, 16" ground clearance, best in class approach and departure angles, SS body, 24-volt system, (remember Rivian's 12 volt woes) etc....you know, just functions truck guys care about.
Cybertruck's aero is absolutely shit compared to what people were expecting. Trucks are incredibly hard to make aerodynamic. As with everything else on your list, it's all speculation unless you have insider information, which means your job or your friend's job is donezo for by sharing it.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

If the powertrain is sound, maybe there will be a market of taking old pickups (think early c/k chevy) and dropping the body on them.
Say hello to the new Toyota Tundra EV truck!

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Max pack is shipping now. PTC fix is shipping now. The camp kitchen was an accessory, not the actual car so it's apples and oranges. Tesla has two whole cars that have been delayed for multiple years not a couple accessories or options. I've had my Rivian since Sept '22 how long have people had the cyber truck again? weren't they announced around the same time?
Yes they are shipping now but how long have we waited for said items? I attended the June 2019 unveiling of the R1T in Denver when max pack was listed as an option. That's a long wait. The delay of the PTC fix was/is terrible. My point is all manufacturers have delays. If you're waiting for a Silverado or next gen Lightning...good luck.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
1. Models show the R1T has a lower drag coefficient than the CT
2. Do you know it has 800v architecture? Just because it can charge at a higher voltage doesn’t mean that.
3. The departure angle of the CT is considerably worse than the R1T, even at max height:

4. Elon says the suspension can move 16” of travel, it means nothing of actual clearance.
5. It’s either 48v or 12v. I mean, if you’re gonna hype, at least know your material. Truck people care about 48v, because there are lots of 3rd party devices that are compatible with 48v right? Right?

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cybertruck's aero is absolutely shit compared to what people were expecting. Trucks are incredibly hard to make aerodynamic. As with everything else on your list, it's all speculation unless you have insider information, which means your job or your friend's job is donezo for by sharing it.
Depends on what you were/are expecting. The aerodynamics are relative to it's competition, not the model S or Lucid air. On that speculation, let's compare notes after the unveiling. Oh, and yes my sister works in Austin.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yes they are shipping now but how long have we waited for said items? I attended the June 2019 unveiling of the R1T in Denver when max pack was listed as an option. That's a long wait. The delay of the PTC fix was/is terrible. My point is all manufacturers have delays. If you're waiting for a Silverado or next gen Lightning...good luck.
Sure it's a long wait, but the Cybertruck was announced in 2019 too and how many people have those? All manufacturers have delays, but Rivian released most of what they promised many years before established Tesla did. Not only did Rivian release the R1's but they build an entire company while doing it. Tesla already existed and had much of that logistics figured out.

So that's why people bag on Tesla in here and don't put Rivian in the same category because Rivian accomplished much more than Tesla in regards to their respective trucks and in much greater times. First generation R1's are so much better than first gen Teslas were and Rivian's vehicle release went better than the EV veteran company's. It's not as simple as dismissing it as all companys have delays because those delays are not equal in length or severity. One option, max pack or tonneaus, is not at all comparable to the entire vehicle not existing.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The Count finds it curious that less than 4% of tesla sales are the higher-end models/trims.
A fact that goes underreported: Rivian outsells Tesla in the premium segment

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

3. The departure angle of the CT is considerably worse than the R1T, even at max height:
Not that it matters, but I have had the most issues with the breakover angle on my R1T. Generally you can still push through arrival and departure interference, but being high-centered will fuck you almost every time.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Not that it matters, but I have had the most issues with the breakover angle on my R1T. Generally you can still push through arrival and departure interference, but being high-centered will fuck you almost every time.
Yeah, I’ve had some of that too. Rock sliders help to minimize damage and kinda wriggle one’s way out. CT’s longer wheelbase means its going to have a much lower breakover angle too.

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

Elon let it be known that initial pricing for the Cybertruck would be cash-flow negative so pricing will likely be on the lower end of estimates. Once initial deliveries are underway and a first-year fleet of actual customer units are on the road as beta-testers Tesla IMO will start a process of raising prices and eliminating lower trim levels to make CT profitable.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
A fact that goes underreported: Rivian outsells Tesla in the premium segment
Not at all surprising. I have a Rivian but I'm not at all car biased. I'm very much a coolest/greatest thing sort of guy not a Rivian focused fanboy. I'm really excited about my wife's upcoming i4 M50 and I'll probably drive that a bunch when I want some better handling. With that being said when we were looking for my wife's car we shopped Tesla. I liked the way it drove but it is NOT a premium car by any stretch. The interiors are cheap and tacky. The exteriors are plain. They are fast, the software is good and they drive pretty nice but they look cheap.

In the premium segment I want both. While the seating surfaces in the Rivian are not what I'd prefer the design is embellished enough to satiate people looking in the premium segment and the exterior looks good. It helps me that my truck is put together better than some here. My wife's current car an Audi has a dash rattle and my Rivian doesn't. Point being Tesla might compete price wise with premium cars but they aren't actually premium products unless it's a pure performance metric like the plaid.
Sponsored