Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Service tech seemed amazed I was able to do this, although it is all described in the owners manual. Just pain in the butt to have 2 batteries that each need jumping.

Newer versions have a single 12 volt battery and a capacitor.

Shortly after removing the primary battery, it went from 13 volts to 5 volts, sitting on the ground...the secondary battery held its charge.

The replacement batteries are from the same maker, but a newer batch number. Hoping these last a bit longer...
Sponsored

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
R1T eventually bricked in garage, had to jump primary and secondary 12 volt battery to get it into gear to remove from garage, then back into garage to get proper "6 feet" clearance for the mobile Rivian service tech that came the next day, and replaced both the batteries. Took less than an hour, and all back to normal now.
Did you go into the truck to have it turn 'on' at all during this time period?

I received the service 12v system a few weeks ago and submitted a ticket. Hard reset cleared it for me and truck has seemed to work fine since. Mobile service is scheduled to come Thursday to replace the 12v battery (I have a May '23 build with 1 battery and 1 capacitor). Remote diagnostics suggested that the underlying system was fine, but that the 12v battery was 'dying'. Seems rather quick for a 12v battery to die to me, especially an AGM (they've all lasted much longer in my boat & RV with a harder duty cycle).

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Yes, checked it every day. Resets never cleared the message except momentarily, came back as soon as pushed brake pedal.

Final straw was with numerous flashing and beeping messages that hood wasn't latched, and both gear tunnel doors were open... decided to see if let it go to sleep would resolve, but it was totally bricked the next morning.

Had to jump start the primary AND secondary battery to get it into gear to back out of garage and turn around so the service technician would have proper working space when he arrived the next day.

Only one of my AGM batteries was probably bad, as it went from 13 volts to 5 volts in the 30 minutes it took him to finish replacing them both. The other battery held its charge.

New batteries made for Rivian, don't remember the manufacturer, but it was a newer batch number.

Hoping my new ones will last until the comprehensive warranty expires...and someone would have successfully upgraded a dual battery vehicle like mine to lithium ion batteries...and Rivian will support it!
Sponsored