First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
In case there was any doubt. My 119xx VIN did not have the frunk 12v outlet and it looks like they won't moving forward. No big deal for me personally I would have never used it but hopefully not too disappointing for others.

I did not spot any additional changes to the text on the R1T landing page.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T Rivian Website
Sponsored

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Can you post a picture of your frunk? I'm curious if they have a different injection molded tub? Or a cap over where the plug would go?

I'm curious how they'll handle this in the manual since they're not really following conventional model year changes. Page 142 still shows the 12V outlet.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 1664573337881

Last edited:
OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Can you post a picture of your frunk? I'm curious if they have a different injection molded tub? Or a cap over where the plug would go?

I'm curious how they'll handle this in the manual since they're not really following conventional model year changes. Page 142 still shows the 12V outlet.

1664573337881.png
No problem. Here you go. It's a new tub with no signs of an outlet being there.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T R1T Frunk No 12V - Copy

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wonder if this was done primarily for cost-cutting or if they want to actively dissuade people from putting refrigerators in the front? I suppose the latter is futile, however, given the proximity and ease of accessing the 12V batteries.

Sponsored

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon
Refrigerated tub in the front seems like the best feature ever. That's not one to avoid; it's marketing heaven.

If it's a matter of trying to avoid condensation or drippage on what's below, I would think that a waterproof bottom and a properly routed drain hose would be a better answer.

I say this without having looked at it; just spitballing here.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Refrigerated tub in the front seems like the best feature ever. That's not one to avoid; it's marketing heaven.

If it's a matter of trying to avoid condensation or drippage on what's below, I would think that a waterproof bottom and a properly routed drain hose would be a better answer.

I say this without having looked at it; just spitballing here.
The front already has a drain in it, and should have no issues with some minor condensation from a fridge (except maybe some grossness on the carpet divider). I certainly haven't had any issues with thousands of miles with a fridge/freezer up there.

I think this really comes down to assembly and supply chain simplification, and possibly underlying changes to the assembly/wiring below the frunk.

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
I wish they would communicate these changes clearly and share the justification/rationale behind them.

We can all speculate on why and how much it saves them per truck, but a little transparency here would go a long way.
I agree. This is not a deal breaker but I do hate the fact that I keep losing small things that was a part of the reason I ordered the R1T in the 1st place. Another small loss the yellow emblem on the floor mats. Small, yes but still something lost. Makes one wonder what will be gone next.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Maybe this means they’ll suddenly get rid of the visually clashing brushed/chrome-looking R1S window trim some day, too, and simplify production with a much more cohesive black trim.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I agree. This is not a deal breaker but I do hate the fact that I keep losing small things that was a part of the reason I ordered the R1T in the 1st place. Another small loss the yellow emblem on the floor mats. Small, yes but still something lost. Makes one wonder what will be gone next.
The yellow accent mats are coming back in 2023. I was not happy about that change as well, so I requested a refund and will order the updated ones when they return.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I blame sandy munro

Lpotter86

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sorry for the bad photos. VIN 118xx. Only one magnet on frunk load floor. Don’t know if this has been noted before. Used to be two.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 5203307F-734C-446B-809A-E92C7C01707B

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T F16A4256-AA63-47A2-8585-39BFF43152E1

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T E50CADB1-2BE2-42D7-A467-F59BA348A74B