Sponsored

R1S towing setup - need help working with poor hitch design.

Dave S

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm expanding on my earlier post about the hitch, as I've discovered other issues, and hoping folks here can share their setups.

Issue 1)
I do a fair amount of towing, but travel through areas where they'll steal anything not bolted down. So I either have to remove the hitch when not in use, or use a hitch lock.

The way the elbow on the hitch pin is angled, getting the cotter pin on and off is a pain...there's only one angle and it aims the cotter pin right up torwards the bottom of the bumper, making it a bit awkward to get on and off. And there's not a lot of room between that and the mounts for tow chains, so there's probably not a lot of room for receiver pin locks that have big locking heads on them.

Has anyone found receiver pin locks that fit well?

Rivian R1T R1S R1S towing setup - need help working with poor hitch design. IMG_3276

Issue 2)
I'm towing a utility trailer that'll come to 6,000 pounds or so when loaded and I've got heavy safety chains on it, as well as trailer brakes. The tiny mounts they have on the hitch for safety chains is pathetic. I can't even get the chains on, let alone the emergency rip cord for the trailer breaks.

What do you all use for towing setups that works??

Rivian R1T R1S R1S towing setup - need help working with poor hitch design. IMG_3295
Sponsored

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I agree that the design and space around the hitch assembly is poorly thought out.

The biggest problem I have is the limited space between the ball and the bumper. I am afraid I’m going to damage the bumper when when mounting the trailer to the ball.

I do have a lock that works well. It has a lock key that goes on the end of the retainer pin not a clip. I don’t have a good answer for the safety chains, yes, they are tight and difficult to get in there.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If you're not interested in changing out the safety chains, you could get D-Rings to install onto the receiver where you're hooking the chains on currently.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Typical Class IV hitch pins are too short for the Rivian, need to use Class V versions. Rivian hitch receiver outside dimension is 3 3/16” wide.

This 5/8” diameter locking hitchpin works well and has a rubber cover that keeps the gunk out of the lock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0941WDD9W/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Prior thread:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/locking-hitchpin-that-fits-rivian.10280/

^ The D-rings are a great idea for safety chains, either that or you definitely need to swap out for thinner hooks.

Last edited:

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Keep the info coming as I plan to tow and off road trailer soon. thx for your time. JB

Sponsored

Dcavalheiro

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Quad / Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I am using a hitch class V from Vevor and a pin with lock in T that has some extra room. I will send the link of them as I don't have my car to take a picture for the rest of the week