First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder how many times they've nearly shat themselves with range anxiety learning how much more energy it takes to drive a vehicle up gravel forest service roads and through the mountains. It was pretty interesting seeing how quickly my ID.4 GOM dropped a couple of weeks ago just going 6 miles up one to get to a trailhead.
Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
How long ago so you think that was filmed; now I want to go to Moab this weekend instead of the mountains to see if they are still out there! This time of year out there is a good test of hot weather plus low speed thermal buildup. I can't place which trail that climb is on, but there are a number of trails like hells revenge and 'fins and things' that have steep climbs like that. I'm glad to see the quick response to wheel spin which looks similar to the traction control of modern conventional 4x4s. It would be cool to see how it would handle a crossed axle spot and get a couple wheels off the ground!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
How long ago so you think that was filmed; now I want to go to Moab this weekend instead of the mountains to see if they are still out there! This time of year out there is a good test of hot weather plus low speed thermal buildup. I can't place which trail that climb is on, but there are a number of trails like hells revenge and 'fins and things' that have steep climbs like that. I'm glad to see the quick response to wheel spin which looks similar to the traction control of modern conventional 4x4s. It would be cool to see how it would handle a crossed axle spot and get a couple wheels off the ground!
Since each wheel is independently controlled, it should do very well. No driveline windup either.

my Land Rover is going to be even more obsolete than it already is

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Not having driveline windup will be nice; I always cringe a bit when having to make a sharp turn on solid rock while in four wheel drive (and even more when the lockers haven't been able to disengage). Four motors is a step up from two motors and relying on traction control for right/left traction, but there will still be some lag from when a tire starts slipping to when the torque can compensate. I still really like being able to lock the front and rear diffs as needed. If the rivian motors are back to back then theoretically a mechanical coupler could connect the left/ right tires?

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not having driveline windup will be nice; I always cringe a bit when having to make a sharp turn on solid rock while in four wheel drive (and even more when the lockers haven't been able to disengage). Four motors is a step up from two motors and relying on traction control for right/left traction, but there will still be some lag from when a tire starts slipping to when the torque can compensate. I still really like being able to lock the front and rear diffs as needed. If the rivian motors are back to back then theoretically a mechanical coupler could connect the left/ right tires?
Technically they can software lock the wheel rotational speed any which way they want.

Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
There will be a difference between what the software commands and what the wheels are doing if traction changes rapidly. If a wheel slips like on the climb in the video there will always be some delay since the slip needs to be detected, then power needs to be reduced from the spinning wheel and added to the others. I'm glad to see that it happens pretty quickly, even in a high torque situation like the video.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Tires appear fully inflated, and that traction loss might go away if they were aired down.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Pffffff…I did a steeper hill than that in a rental Compass in San Francisco a couple years back.

Sponsored

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Not sure I like that the Rivian doesn’t look that much bigger/taller than the mustang in Kneel mode. I was looking at a Raptor yesterday and it was parked next to a Mach-E and that thing towers over the mustang.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Not sure I like that the Rivian doesn’t look that much bigger/taller than the mustang in Kneel mode. I was looking at a Raptor yesterday and it was parked next to a Mach-E and that thing towers over the mustang.
A Raptor is an expanded F-150 in size. An R1T is very close to the same size as a Honda Ridgeline. The only real dimension change in Ridgeline vs R1T, is+7" overall length in the R1T with a shorter bed than the Ridgeline.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Looks like it's on the 22 inch wheels here. The shots of the R1T at the airport has the 21 inch wheels. Assuming it's the same truck, this supports the theory they're doing winter range testing for all the different wheel configurations. :clap:

Cassidy_DM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6
Occupation
Space
When are we going to get the announcement of Rivian chargers and exclusive parking at Whole Foods? (All credit to Now You Know for the idea.)

C'mon RJ and Jeff, make it happen!
Sponsored