Sponsored

Does any one else find the parking beeps annoying and almost usless?

happyjohn14

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
Occupation
IT
I have to park in a pretty tight garage and the beeps tend to be way too sensitive. I'm talking a good 18" from whatever before it starts going crazy and I just need to ignore it as it isn't helping. I know I've come really close around a corner driving 10-15mph and maybe 3" away from another car without it chirping. I just want it to be fine-tuned a bit better.
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I turned it off completely. I find it far too intrusive.

Neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Expedition Max LTD, 2020 Volvo XC60
i turned mine off after installing the Builtright tow hook plate which set it off constantly when driving very slowly, mimicking a park maneuver. I eventually repositioned the plate and turned it back on. It's somewhat intrusive but I prefer to have it on as I often park in narrow quarters.... just a reminder to go slowly and watch my lead foot so I don't accelerate too hard.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Turned mine off yesterday. My garage is pretty tight and that incessant beeping doesn't help you concentrate on what you're doing very well.

Sponsored

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
I still find them very useful. I have a pretty tight parking situation, maybe 18" total space remaining front-back in my garage and find them helpful. I still rely on the camera/mirrors for side distance judging but, learning the sensors has easily allowed me to use them to find my correct depth in the garage.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I still find them very useful. I have a pretty tight parking situation, maybe 18" total space remaining front-back in my garage and find them helpful. I still rely on the camera/mirrors for side distance judging but, learning the sensors has easily allowed me to use them to find my correct depth in the garage.
Do you use the tone or the visual representation on the dash? I have a pretty narrow garage front to back as well and what I did was mark on the floor and I align the camera with the mark. Just curious how others do it.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I have about 2-3" either end to fit into my garage, I haven't turned off the parking assist, I just ignore it :D

Installed one of these: https://www.amazon.com/GoodChief-Universal-Laser-Parking-Assist/dp/B07HHGRWS8

And a small bump stop as a "last resort" and I don't need to worry too much about it. Laser guide is just modern day "tennis ball" but with such small margins on either end it's great to have to make things repeatable. Just line it up on the dash and you know you're good. Bump stop is like 1" past "ideal" but to be honest most times i just try to lightly "bounce" off it and catch the rollback and it lines things up pretty much perfectly. Laser takes like 10 minute to install, it's cheap and simple but that's all it needs to be.

Pics make it look like there's more room than there is - slight fisheye I think, and the rear one is too dark to see the actual bumper which is literally about 3" from the door at the nearest point - but it's all dialed in now and works great - no need to care or listen to parking sensors they'd never be able to give any indication of such small distances to be useful. They just sit in the red the whole time lol

Rivian R1T R1S Does any one else find the parking beeps annoying and almost usless? 1695221688942
Rivian R1T R1S Does any one else find the parking beeps annoying and almost usless? 1695221718546
Rivian R1T R1S Does any one else find the parking beeps annoying and almost usless? 1695221961104
Rivian R1T R1S Does any one else find the parking beeps annoying and almost usless? 1695222000829
Rivian R1T R1S Does any one else find the parking beeps annoying and almost usless? 1695222026692

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Do you use the tone or the visual representation on the dash? I have a pretty narrow garage front to back as well and what I did was mark on the floor and I align the camera with the mark. Just curious how others do it.
haha posted mine just after you asked - that system seems to be working great for me. I have also added some medium density foam to the front of the shelving as a "just in case" at any points the front end might actually contact them. Really just as a way to avoid scratches in a worst case scenario. Between all of that, I've been able to get comfortable enough to not get out and check in the back EVERY time I park it in there :D If I tap the stop and the laser is looking good on the dash - I trust that I am good now. Highly repeatable.

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
I now rely on the tone from the rear sensors when backing in close to the garage wall. The first week I had to learn how the distance from the visual indicators on the display actually translated to in the real world but it only takes a few trials and I feel pretty comfortable with it.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
No. They annoy with purpose, so you are aware and don’t damage your car and be one of those who post and complain about high cost of repairs on self-inflicted damage. They could be recalibrated to be less conservative though. When the red bars show, there is still about a foot of clearance, if not more.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I use the camera lining up the top of the front license plate with the Seal under the garage door. Helps me constantly stay an inch or so past the garage door. Only leaves 12 inches in the back otherwise I would need to open the garage door to get to the other side of the garage.

Works well and buzzers do not bother me.

Rivian R1T R1S Does any one else find the parking beeps annoying and almost usless? IMG_3421
Rivian R1T R1S Does any one else find the parking beeps annoying and almost usless? IMG_3422

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I use the camera lining up the top of the front license plate with the Seal under the garage door. Helps me constantly stay an inch or so past the garage door. Only leaves 12 inches in the back otherwise I would need to open the garage door to get to the other side of the garage.

Works well and buzzers do not bother me.

IMG_3421.jpeg
IMG_3422.jpeg
I thought mine was tight.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The Count likes to know when he is scratching a neighboring vehicle.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Only on every car that I've owned that has had them.

:)

More seriously the reason I don't like them is they teach you to ignore the beeps because 99% of the time there isn't any issue.

For example I can't backup out of my drive way without the constant beep because of a plant that triggers it despite the plant not being in the way at all.

The 360 degree camera is way more useful.
Sponsored