First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2019 RS5 Sportback, 2018 Raptor, 2020 M4
Occupation
Dad
Figured I'd journal my R1T here on the forums, even if I'll no doubt fall behind at times. I do actively upload photos/stories on Instagram (@blinker.fluid) though, along with my other vehicles ... so follow along there as well.

I liked @WattTruckMatt 's journal format, so I'll use a variation of the same here. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-ordered Oct 2019 ... took delivery Feb 27, 2023.

My original spec was Max Pack / Quad Motor Adventure Pkg with "Off-road upgrade". I started with El Cap Granite, then cycled through a few exterior color choices over the last 40+ months, before coming back around to El Cap. The interior was always going to be Ocean Coast, and I'm kinda glad they eventually moved from a light wood to the current Dark Ash offering ... which adds some nice contrast.

Ultimately I went with a Large Battery / Quad Motor version when Rivian announced they were shelving the max/quad configuration indefinitely. I also decided to go with 22s, versus the OE 20-inch off road wheels/tires, since I plan to have custom 20s made (for use with all-terrains) while mounting dedicated snow tires on the 22s for winter duty. The only things I lost out on were off-road underbody protection (arguably unnecessary) and power tonneau (bummed about that one).

Final Spec:

El Cap Granite exterior
Ocean Coast / Dark Ash Wood interior
Adventure Package
Large Battery Pack
22" Sport Bright wheel & tire
Tow Hooks
Manual Tonneau Cover (TBD)
Cargo Crossbars
All-Weather Floor Mats
Rivian Wall Charger

VIN 185xx
01/23 build
Has frunk and under dash 12V outlets; 2 magnets in frunk; plastic rear headrest surrounds

Issues At/Since Delivery:

So far, mine has been excellent ... all things considered. The following are mostly minor. I could nitpick a few trim fit / panel gap discrepancies, but I could do the same of my 2018 Raptor. In fact, my R1T has much better fit/finish than my buddy's 2022 Range Rover!

1) Camera system often freezes, or outright fails, requiring soft reset of the main display. Haven't opened a ticket yet, partly because I'm 3.5 hours from the nearest SC and it isn't yet a big enough issue on it's own, since soft reset always corrects it.
2) Out of alignment. Like countless others, mine pulls to the right and the steering wheel is a couple degrees off when traveling straight. Rather than visit and revisit the SC in hopes they can get it right, as others have experienced, I'm having mine aligned at a local motorsport shop that specializes in alignment work. Scheduled for April 25
3) Loud rubber/plastic "squawk" noise when opening the frunk, coming from the left hood-strut area. Think it could just be the way the strut rises through that rubber trim, but haven't had time to isolate it or attempt to correct. It's not a big deal, even though I notice it every time I open the frunk.
4) Passenger seat doesn't always detect when my 94 lbs daughter is sitting in it. If she sits a certain way, it acts like nothing is there (Airbag Off notice in lower right of display, rather than climate control temp / button). Need to monitor this. It always recognizes when my wife is in the seat (110 lbs), so I think it has to do with how my kiddo sits when she first gets in.

Mods/Gear as of Apr 2023

Full XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF (every panel and exterior surface)
Full Ceramic Pro Exterior (applied to PPF)
Full Ceramic Pro interior
Window tint (front doors 35%, windshield 70% and pano roof 35%)
Rivian All-Weather Floor Mats
Rivian Cargo Crossbars
Yakima Skinny Warrior cargo basket
Continental TerrainContact A/T tires for the 22s (OE 275/50/22 size)
Abstract Ocean Tempered Glass Screen Protectors
EV Sportline Jack Pucks (magnetic top)
AdventureMat MagSafe Charging Mat
TWraps Armrest/Console Organizer Tray
Tufskinz Emblem Overlays
EveryAmp Dash Anchor (17mm, x2)
Metisinno MagSafe magnetic phone mount (x2)
Küat NV 2.0 hitch mount bike carrier

Coming Soon ...

XO XTR1 bed rack and accessories (likely cab high. 18-19 inches, but need to nail down exact build height)
Forged monoblock 20-inch wheels (have a number of designs I'm rendering)
Nokian Outpost nAT all-terrains (OE 275/65/20 size)
Running boards / sliders (probablyust have to decide if I really need sliders or not)
** Would really like something from AMP Research (deployable steps), but I don't know how those would do on an EV and with Rivian's 12v system

IG Story post from Nov 17, 2020 ... when my pre-order configuration was official (collage of a series of collages!)

Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... IMG_2305.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rob O

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dad
Delivery day snaps. I had about an hour with the truck before dropping it off for paint correction, PPF, ceramic coating and window tint ... wouldn't see it for another 30 days due to travel schedule.

B87FA496-7D34-430F-AC1F-6CE0F3D9C2DA.jpeg
A4095DAE-ABB4-4161-99A9-878CB207E564.jpeg

0D7FE6C6-84D1-4D1A-9628-DB900D229673.jpeg

DAFF49B5-38F9-4B59-A05A-4578659C39BB.jpeg

7A1E26DE-0C91-4A97-A4CC-91AF2CA8A751.jpeg

849CA906-613F-47C5-B3DD-720942C64795.jpeg

5408F35F-C08D-4AA2-8F6E-F9ED0D5AE916.jpeg

FFEAB191-B390-4B5D-BEEC-5670C8B555C6.jpeg

B39A0F87-BF5E-4D08-9E3C-5765FD24F0F6.jpeg

336053A4-32B8-4838-A9FD-74B3DB568888.jpeg

OP
OP
Rob O

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dad
First ever DCFC charging experience -- Rivian or otherwise. I had a 225 mile drive home from collecting my R1T, with 254 miles of stated range on the GOM and estimated 20-ish miles upon arrival per the nav. So I stopped at this ChargePoint 62.5 kWH charger and topped up before heading across a 125+ stretch with no lifeline.

Couple iPhone 14 Pro snaps ...

Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... page0 4.JPG

And home ... after nearly 1300 days from deposit!

Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... IMG_2310.JPG

OP
OP
Rob O

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dad
Installed Continental TerrainContact A/T tires on the 22s for now. As noted in my initial post, I plan on building a set of forged 20s and wrap them in proper all-terrains, then put winters on the 22s. In the meantime, I couldn't stand the thought of using the OE Pirelli Sport Zeros for anything off pavement. These Contis provide very similar spec to the street and efficiency biased OE tires, while offering a more true all-terrain design (shoulder blocks, tread pattern / lugs, etc). Still only an XL rated tire, so not nearly the sidewall protection of a BFG K02, for example, and still a low profile sidewall ... but should be plenty good for modest trails and forest roads for now.

Spec comparison between the OE Pirellis and Conti TerrainContacts (both 275/50/22, so same width, diameter and 5.4" sidewall height):

OE Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S “Elect” (115H)
Weight: 37 lbs
Max Load: 2,756 lbs
Max Inflation: 51 psi
UTQG: 500 A A
Load ID: XL
Speed: 130 mph

Continental TerrainContact A/T (115T)
Weight: 41.6 lbs
Max Load: 2679 lbs
Max Inflation: 50 psi
UTQG: 680 A B
Speed: 118 mph

The R1T looks the part now too! I'll take some proper photos of the whole truck with the new rubber soon.

Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... page0 6.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... page4 2.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... page5 2.JPG

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T - El Cap Granite
Installed Continental TerrainContact A/T tires on the 22s for now. As noted in my initial post, I plan on building a set of forged 20s and wrap them in proper all-terrains, then put winters on the 22s. In the meantime, I couldn't stand the thought of using the OE Pirelli Sport Zeros for anything off pavement. These Contis provide very similar spec to the street and efficiency biased OE tires, while offering a more true all-terrain design (shoulder blocks, tread pattern / lugs, etc). Still only an XL rated tire, so not nearly the sidewall protection of a BFG K02, for example, and still a low profile sidewall ... but should be plenty good for modest trails and forest roads for now.

Spec comparison between the OE Pirellis and Conti TerrainContacts (both 275/50/22, so same width, diameter and 5.4" sidewall height):

OE Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S “Elect” (115H)
Weight: 37 lbs
Max Load: 2,756 lbs
Max Inflation: 51 psi
UTQG: 500 A A
Speed: 130 mph

Continental TerrainContact A/T (115T)
Weight: 41.6 lbs
Max Load: 2679 lbs
Max Inflation: 50 psi
UTQG: 680 A B
Speed: 118 mph

The R1T looks the part now too! I'll take some proper photos of the whole truck with the new rubber soon.

page0 6.JPG

page4 2.JPG

page5 2.JPG
Looks great! Yes, would love to see those pictures of the whole truck and different angles with these tires. I have the exact same configuration and was thinking the current tires aren't really cutting it. My plan was to just go to 20" ATs, but this could be a great alternative.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rob O

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dad
Looks great! Yes, would love to see those pictures of the whole truck and different angles with these tires. I have the exact same configuration and was thinking the current tires are really cutting it. My plan was to just go to 20" ATs, but this could be a great alternative.
Traveling for the next few days, then I'll have time for photos. :camera:

I'm sure the factory sport "Elect" all seasons would be fine on forest roads and well traveled dirt trails. Even so, the TerrainContacts give more confidence in those conditions, as well as wet/muddy situations. I've also been disappointed with how many shoulder/sidewall punctures/tears I've read about with the OE 20-inch Pirelli A/Ts. Not sure if the Contis will be prove any sturdier, especially being sharing an XL "ply rating" and with less sidewall in 22-inch fitment, but I'm not planning on tackling the Rubicon anyway.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Love the setup and the look. Can you tell me how do you like the way the Continental's drive on the pavement. Was looking at the ATS 20's from Rivian, but this might be the alternative that I am looking for.

Thanks!!

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
Color combo looks great. El Cap was always my second choice after Forest Green. I always end up sticking with green but this makes me think for a second, once again. Interesting what you did with the tires too. I'll be curious to hear your range numbers with your different setups.

I'm another disappointed Max Pack order holder and for now waiting to see my delivery timing estimate with Performance Dual Motor Max Pack (I will be towing), but I'm still considering just going with Quad.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I usually don't like gray, but yours looks pretty great. Also, from what I can see of it, your house looks amazing! Congrats, hope you enjoy the truck!

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Forget your truck, the camera and photography skills are even better! And, nice PacNW home!

Sponsored

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
4) Passenger seat doesn't always detect when my 94 lbs daughter is sitting in it. If she sits a certain way, it acts like nothing is there (Airbag Off notice in lower right of display, rather than climate control temp / button). Need to monitor this. It always recognizes when my wife is in the seat (110 lbs), so I think it has to do with how my kiddo sits when she first gets in.
I am having the same problem with my son about the same weight. I had the service center look at it and they said everything was normal. The reps there told me it works better if they sit butt all the way to the back, but also that they had to tell someone to have their wife sit in the back, which is not great.

Seems to be working better now but he has probably gotten a bit bigger. I think this is dumb - why not just turn on the airbag when the seatbelt is buckled? Seems like an easy piece of logic!

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Nice truck, but…man I’d like to see more pictures of your house, haha.

J3t3r

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limestone R1T, Taycan 4S, 2500 Sprinter 4x4
Any more photos of your mods ?

OP
OP
Rob O

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dad
Looks great! Yes, would love to see those pictures of the whole truck and different angles with these tires. I have the exact same configuration and was thinking the current tires aren't really cutting it. My plan was to just go to 20" ATs, but this could be a great alternative.
Here are a couple snaps of the full truck with 22" TerrainContact A/Ts. I'll get some more soon that better showcase the tires. In the meantime, since my initial post on the tire swap only had closeups ... hopefully these help show the bigger picture (no pun intended)

Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... _V6A7782

Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... _V6A7786

Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... _V6A7789

OP
OP
Rob O

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dad
Color combo looks great. El Cap was always my second choice after Forest Green. I always end up sticking with green but this makes me think for a second, once again. Interesting what you did with the tires too. I'll be curious to hear your range numbers with your different setups.

I'm another disappointed Max Pack order holder and for now waiting to see my delivery timing estimate with Performance Dual Motor Max Pack (I will be towing), but I'm still considering just going with Quad.
I like both LE Green and Forest Green, and had the latter in my configurator toward then end. But I have a green car already, didn't need two green vehicles, and it feels like every R1T I see locally is Forest (or Limestone) ... so El Cap is a bit less common.

Deliver day. Drove the RS5 180 miles to Portland to collect the R1T, which I left in Portland for PPF and stuff.
Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... IMG_9021.JPG

RS5 in its Summerwear
Rivian R1T R1S The @blinker.fluid El Cap Granite R1T delivery/spec/build/journal ... _Q2A1532-Edit
Sponsored