Sponsored

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
Well, I got myself in a situation today...and it was dire...

Went to check out few parcels of building land. Truck did amazing in the soaked grassy rolling hills untill it met its (and mine) match on the last lot. It had rained all day and the entrance was already very muddy with an immediate hill upon entry. As I tried to keep it in the grassy right hand side, I immediately began to traction slide into the deep mud in the left. Happened pretty much instantly. Got dug in pretty good, no mode or combo of traction setting can get me out. At this time the front end is pointing towards the hill, all wheels spinning and either heating up and evaporating moisture or the thick odorless smoke was coming from the motors. I did eventually get AWD unavailable, figured motors got hot. Next I waved down a lifted F250 with MTs, got a strap, but the nice fellow who really wanted to help didn't have any luck either. After he got stuck a couple of times, he decided that he didn't want to risk it. Understandable. I looked around and found few tree limbs, figured I'd use them as traction ramps. Nope ...At this time it was 2h in, I'm in slacks and button down, and was supposed to be gone 20 min ....

Desperation last attempt- broke some limbs and cleared few feet in the back, backed the truck some, then Rock crawl mode, TC full off, front wheels locked right. Used the no hold to let truck slide slight back on each fwd power attempt while hoping gravity/slight decline will rotate the truck. It did! Probably 2 inches at a time but made a complete 180 degree turn ala tank turn! Phew! Nothing broken or scratched, muddy interior, and instead of broken confidence came out with lots more faith in this truck!

Got 1 min video of the aftermath but won't let me upload.

Rivian R1T R1S 180 Degree Tank Turn my way out of being stuck in mud IMG_20230216_154514
Rivian R1T R1S 180 Degree Tank Turn my way out of being stuck in mud IMG_20230216_154552
Rivian R1T R1S 180 Degree Tank Turn my way out of being stuck in mud IMG_20230216_154601
Rivian R1T R1S 180 Degree Tank Turn my way out of being stuck in mud IMG_20230216_154607
Rivian R1T R1S 180 Degree Tank Turn my way out of being stuck in mud IMG_20230216_154525
Sponsored

OP
OP

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
Ordered these to keep in the gear tunnel at all times....

BUNKER INDUST Off-Road Traction Boards with Jack Base, 1 Pair Recovery Tracks Mat for 4X4 Jeep Truck Tire Traction-Sand,Mud, Snow Ladder Ramps (Orange) https://a.co/d/2rB8aSj

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Wow in 21s you are brave

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You were lucky to get out of that with the 21s!

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
According to the way your seat looks, you might have pooped your pants a little bit too? :cool: :movember:

Mud is whole thing. Proper tires and recovery boards are a good start.

I haven't been in this situation, but will the motors even let you spin the tires to clean mud out of the grooves? Say you even had mud tires installed...

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Glad you got out, and GREAT story!

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Now you have a good story…. And at least you had the all weather mats in!

I am curious as to the source of the “odorless smoke”.

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

Well I found your problem... you left your aero guards.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
It's not surprising that a group of people who are buying a vehicle with four independent motors are heavily focused on traction. However, I went from a F-150 with 4WD + rear locker and 3 peak snow tires to the Rivian with 21s. I have been much better off driving on hilly, snow covered roads with the Rivian. The motors and weight balance really do make these street tires much more capable than we're used to on other vehicles.
Sponsored