Wags

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Clubs

I’ve asked Rivian CS if I could see one if I drove to the plant in Normal. I never got a straight answer. Just the boiler plate about how hard they are trying to setup local test drives but everybody has COVID, etc.

Has anybody actually been to Normal? If I walked in the front door and asked to see an R1S or T would they throw me out?
I seem to recall others showing up at the plant and being told they can’t see anything. You could try but I think you’ll be turned away.
Sponsored

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I seem to recall others showing up at the plant and being told they can’t see anything. You could try but I think you’ll be turned away.
For a startup trying to become a major player they sure are determined to keep their products out of sight.

CycloneKid

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Occupation
Retired
While driving by on Feb. 9, spotted an R1T on the lot. By the time, I turned around and drove back it was already being loaded on one of the flatbeds. I was able to walk once around the El Cap while it sat on the flatbed but they were anxious to get it on the road for delivery.

I did find out it was going to a Rivian employee. When I asked when there would be some Rivian signage on the building, I was told that this was only a temporary location. If they did move to another location, the gentleman said it would also be in Rockville.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
While driving by on Feb. 9, spotted an R1T on the lot. By the time, I turned around and drove back it was already being loaded on one of the flatbeds. I was able to walk once around the El Cap while it sat on the flatbed but they were anxious to get it on the road for delivery.

I did find out it was going to a Rivian employee. When I asked when there would be some Rivian signage on the building, I was told that this was only a temporary location. If they did move to another location, the gentleman said it would also be in Rockville.
‘Your commitment to the cause is questionable. SOP in such situations is following the delivery truck for address and subsequently stalking the owner until you have all social media info, employment history, ….. you know standard stuff, nothing over the top.

Last edited:

Rford71

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline, Audi TT
Occupation
Firefighter

good information, maybe I need to apply to be a employee So I can get my vehicle delivered sooner?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
For a startup trying to become a major player they sure are determined to keep their products out of sight.
Try showing up at any production facility that isn’t set up for public tours demanding to see product.

report back with your findings.

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Try showing up at any production facility that isn’t set up for public tours demanding to see product.

report back with your findings.
I apologize for being so bold as to wish I could see what I am buying.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
By all accounts everyone who’s ordering a truck will get a test drive.

heck I got one and there won’t be a rivian in my part of the continent for at least 6 months

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

By all accounts everyone who’s ordering a truck will get a test drive.

heck I got one and there won’t be a rivian in my part of the continent for at least 6 months
You were fortunate to get one as there are people due to get their trucks months ahead of you who haven’t been offered this basic pre sale opportunity.

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
Go to Normal for a few days. Just hang out at Sam's, Menards, Home Depot, etc (anywhere on Veterans Parkway). You will run into a ton of employees and their R1T's. You might get lucky and find one that will let you do a test drive.

I bought a truck off an employee who had his R1T back in November. I was more excited to see the R1T than what I was buying. I didn't ask to drive but he did take me on a fairly long ride and answered a ton of questions. Pretty early build and it looked great.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I don’t think you should be buying a brand new model from a brand new company if you want to see and test drive it before you buy. It’s a perfectly reasonable thing to want to do but maybe you should wait a few years to buy.

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I don’t think you should be buying a brand new model from a brand new company if you want to see and test drive it before you buy. It’s a perfectly reasonable thing to want to do but maybe you should wait a few years to buy.
Sorry, I’m not nearly rich enough to spend that kind of money blind. If Rivian’s business model requires keeping the customers away from the product I’m sure glad I didn’t buy any stock.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Sorry, I’m not nearly rich enough to spend that kind of money blind. If Rivian’s business model requires keeping the customers away from the product I’m sure glad I didn’t buy any stock.
I don’t think it will always be the case but if you want to be one of the first then there are compromises you have to make. Otherwise it’s perfectly fine to wait and buy one later.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You were fortunate to get one as there are people due to get their trucks months ahead of you who haven’t been offered this basic pre sale opportunity.
All I had to do was drive 2000 miles to California at the right time, and spend several days with my in-laws. ?

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Rockville, 2.27.22

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Rockville, MD Location is Now Open! 1

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Rockville, MD Location is Now Open! 2