Sponsored

Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S

VA99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S order
Will rivian give option to buy a full size wheel and tyre instead of that space saver option?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Buy a Wheel/tire assembly from the parts department. Have fun finding a place to put it.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Well if you aren't going places in the wild, the space saver tire is just what you need. If you plan to go into the wild, would assume you aren't taking 7 people in the R1S, so you could throw a full size in the back and fold a seat to make space for other stuff.

Reactions: Jac

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

You can buy hitch-mounted spare tire carriers.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
R1T = full size spare.
R1S = space-saver spare.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
CS told me Rivian is planing to make full size tire/wheel available to customers but not yet. I think at this time, they are trying to make sure they have enough supply to deliver as many vehicles as they can.

What I am curious about is that if an R1T has a road tire on with off road tire as spare, would the computer get confused and mess something up if you put the spare on? Or you get the additional traction with no penalty? Anyone has any thoughts on this?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
CS told me Rivian is planing to make full size tire/wheel available to customers but not yet. I think at this time, they are trying to make sure they have enough supply to deliver as many vehicles as they can.

What I am curious about is that if an R1T has a road tire on with off road tire as spare, would the computer get confused and mess something up if you put the spare on? Or you get the additional traction with no penalty? Anyone has any thoughts on this?
The R1T has a matching full size spare option. If you choose this it is the same as the selected tires.

The R1S has an inflatable spare because of space limitations in the wheel well. Once inflated is is supposed to be full size.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The R1T has a matching full size spare option. If you choose this it is the same as the selected tires.

The R1S has an inflatable spare because of space limitations in the wheel well. Once inflated is is supposed to be full size.
Are you saying as long as diameter matches, thread pattern does not matter?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Are you saying as long as diameter matches, thread pattern does not matter?
That is true but the R1T has a matching spare.

Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S 7E28D8FF-9365-4F96-A09F-89F6A7705211

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

If you plan to go into the wild, would assume you aren't taking 7 people in the R1S, so you could throw a full size in the back and fold a seat to make space for other stuff.
We have taken 6 people (3 couples) on challenging off-road adventures at least once a year in our LR3. Iā€™m hoping there is room behind the R1S 3rd row for a full-size spare standing up. On a positive note, with the Rivian our off-road kit should fit in the frunk with room to spare.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Will rivian give option to buy a full size wheel and tyre instead of that space saver option?

Are you talking about the R1S? Because the R1T has that full spare option available.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
We have taken 6 people (3 couples) on challenging off-road adventures at least once a year in our LR3. Iā€™m hoping there is room behind the R1S 3rd row for a full-size spare standing up. On a positive note, with the Rivian our off-road kit should fit in the frunk with room to spare.
Dang Rob, you still own a working LR3? My 2005 LR3 LSE is long gone as is my ā€˜12 Sport. I finally yelled ā€œUncleā€ at the repair shop when I had enough and was tired of constantly walking home with a limp and a sore ass every few months from the repairs. So are you trading in your LR3 when the R1S arrives? Iā€™m one of the LR converts that I truly believe Rivian is going to make a major dent in with their SUV/outdoor-lifestyle branding.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Dang Rob, you still own a working LR3? My 2005 LR3 LSE is long gone as is my ā€˜12 Sport. I finally yelled ā€œUncleā€ at the repair shop when I had enough and was tired of constantly walking home with a limp and a sore ass every few months from the repairs. So are you trading in your LR3 when the R1S arrives? Iā€™m one of the LR converts that I truly believe Rivian is going to make a major dent in with their SUV/outdoor-lifestyle branding.
I think we were lucky enough to get a good one. We bought our 2006 used from the local Land Rover dealer in 2014 with 109,000 miles on it with the express purpose of exploring off-road. Weā€™ve done terrible things to it. It has seen rock crawling, deep sand, hauled up to 7 people, hauled probably over a ton of masonry demolition debris to the dump (over several trips), towed our camper off-road, pulled stuck vehicles, and used it as a tractor. Ours seems to thrive on the challenges and has almost 231,000 miles on it with the original (not rebuilt) engine and original (not rebuilt) transmission.

It currently has a check engine light for a misfire in cold temps within the first 1000 revs when starting, but it drives fine and passed a smog test in warmer weather so Iā€™m leaving it alone. Everything else works, including the air suspension, center console cooler, and the locking diffs. It has become my favorite vehicle of everything weā€™ve owned and weā€™ve owned some interesting cars.

Having said all that, I know itā€™s atypical and the Land Rover reputation was why I chose an R1S when comparing it to a new Defender.
Sponsored