First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Ah, thanks. Looks like there is some sort of instrument gauge on the think between the "T" spacer. wonder what that's all about?
Looks like a tire sealant + inflator kit.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It is. I can precondition. Haven't charged yet as I need to run this thing down! No windows or gear guard yet.
You said the magic word. We're universally really curious to hear what the DC charging curve is if you plug it in with a warm battery. It should peak around 190kW, but it will be interesting to see what it does from 35% to ~85%.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
You said the magic word. We're universally really curious to hear what the DC charging curve is if you plug it in with a warm battery. It should peak around 190kW, but it will be interesting to see what it does from 35% to ~85%.
Rivian has already basically told us what that will look like. If it peaks at 190kw at 35%, it will follow any number of routes to 80% such that the average is around 175kw (140 mi in 20 minutes). But, if the peak is only 190kw and we know the average is 175kw, then that means it's a relatively flat curve (linear taper would mean it ends up around 160kw around 80%) and so there is little mystery/intrigue.

Linear:
190kw at 35%
175kw at 57%
160kw at 80%

Average of 175 kw, or 140mi in 20 mins.

Flat:
190kw at 35%
175kw at 36%
175kw at 80%

Also an average of 175kw from 35% to 80%. These curves aren't materially different in the real world and wouldn't likely impact charging strategies much

However, if the peak is much higher, then there is more variability to what the curve could look like. But, if you're charging around 45% either way (a fairly typical charging stop), then the curve is irrelevant.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I should've taken it out. It's an air compressor
That is interesting. Why would they provide an air compressor when there is already an air compressor on board? Or did you add it?

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian has already basically told us what that will look like. If it peaks at 190kw at 35%, it will follow any number of routes to 80% such that the average is around 175kw (140 mi in 20 minutes). But, if the peak is only 190kw and we know the average is 175kw, then that means it's a relatively flat curve (linear taper would mean it ends up around 160kw around 80%) and so there is little mystery/intrigue.

Linear:
190kw at 35%
175kw at 57%
160kw at 80%

Average of 175 kw, or 140mi in 20 mins.

Flat:
190kw at 35%
175kw at 36%
175kw at 80%

Also an average of 175kw from 35% to 80%. These curves aren't materially different in the real world and wouldn't likely impact charging strategies much

However, if the peak is much higher, then there is more variability to what the curve could look like. But, if you're charging around 45% either way (a fairly typical charging stop), then the curve is irrelevant.
140/20 could be from 0 to 45% averaging ~175 kw. That doesn't provide any context with regards to numbers above 45%. I haven't seen anyone achieve 160 kW at 80%, let alone 175 kW. From some people, it sounds like the charge rate may be lower than 100kW at 80%. Maybe it's above 150kw. But we don't actually know.

Both of the following curves would meet that 140 in 20 minutes description. There's about a 5 minutes difference between these curves for a 10 to 80% charge.

A curve that tapers harder after ~45% than the EQS based curve would also qualify. So it could taper down to 40kW at 80% and still meet that definition.
Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] 1639607457662

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
140/20 would be from 0 to 45% averaging ~175 kw. That doesn't provide any context with regards to numbers above 45%. I haven't seen anyone achieve 160 kW at 80%, let alone 175 kW. From some people, it sounds like the charge rate may be lower than 100kW at 80%. Maybe it's above 150kw. But we don't actually know.

Both of the following curves would meet that 140 in 20 minutes description. There's about a 5 minutes difference between these curves for a 10 to 80% charge.

A curve that tapers harder after ~45% than the EQS based curve would also qualify. So it could taper down to 40kW at 80% and still meet that definition.
They actually have never said where that ~45% is, or if it's a specific range or if it applies to a broad range of 45% increments. For all we know it could be every 45% increment from 0%-80%. But typically, the fastest charging doesn't start from 0%, and starting from 0% doesn't happen much in the real world (typically at least 10%) so doubt that was the basis for their stat. My guess is that the 45% increment they are referring to is somewhere between 10% and 70%, representing a most common charging experience. I'd also be flat out shocked if the charge rate dips significantly below 100kw before 80%. There would just be no explanation for it in a modern EV at this price point.

My point was mostly that it covers enough of the battery (45%) that it's going to apply to most charging sessions. My car does a flat 150kw from close to zero to 80% and is still over 100kw to 90%+, so I've been conditioned to there being little drama or mental stress. DCFC for me is basically like charging at home, just faster.

I'm also of the opinion that the example you use with a 5-minute difference is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things for a 10-80% charge that wouldn't be a frequent occurrence, but acknowledge others are more sensitive to those details.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
They actually have never said where that ~45% is, or if it's a specific range or if it applies to a broad range of 45% increments. For all we know it could be every 45% increment from 0%-80%. But typically, the fastest charging doesn't start from 0%, and starting from 0% doesn't happen much in the real world (typically at least 10%) so doubt that was the basis for their stat. My guess is that the 45% increment they are referring to is somewhere between 10% and 70%, representing a most common charging experience. I'd also be flat out shocked if the charge rate dips significantly below 100kw before 80%. There would just be no explanation for it in a modern EV at this price point.

My point was mostly that it covers enough of the battery (45%) that it's going to apply to most charging sessions. My car does a flat 150kw from close to zero to 80% and is still over 100kw to 90%+, so I've been conditioned to there being little drama or mental stress. DCFC for me is basically like charging at home, just faster.

I'm also of the opinion that the example you use with a 5-minute difference is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things for a 10-80% charge that wouldn't be a frequent occurrence, but acknowledge others are more sensitive to those details.
We're saying the same thing (generally). I was using 0% as the lowest possible anchor point. The EQS type curve I made is picking that chunk up from 10 to 55%.

I agree I'd be surprised if it were less than 100kw at 80%, but Lucid's curve is sitting at ~85kW at 80% with a 118+ kWh battery. So if the Rivian followed a similar curve it would land at about 100 kw at 80%. Scaling up the ID.4 curve lands you at about 100kW as well. I'd just like some confirmation as to what to actually expect, rather than having a hunch.

Given what you described, I'm guessing you have an e-tron?

And yeah, I'd generally agree 5 minutes isn't a huge deal. If the curve looks more like a scaled up curve from Lucid, then you're talking about 44 minutes vs 33 minutes for 10 to 80, and suggests those times when you're having to charge beyond 80% could get a little annoying.

Point being, we don't actually know what to expect from the shape. I'm just hopeful it pulled 150+ all the way through 80 or 85%. That'd be awesome.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
That is interesting. Why would they provide an air compressor when there is already an air compressor on board? Or did you add it?
It's a very standard tire repair kit. It contains a compressor and a sealant pack so you can pressurize the tire and fill it with a gunk that will seal small holes and let you limp to a repair. Kind of last-resort stuff but it does work well (saved my ass when my Model Y got a flat in Sun Valley on a ski trip, and I wasn't able to get a replacement until 500 miles and 3 days later in Bend.)

As for why the redundant compressor, I imagine it's mostly that it's just a commodity part of the kit (why would the manufacturer design a version for the extremely low number of vehicles which have a compressor but no spare?), but I probably wouldn't want my nice integrated air compressor hose anywhere near the gross sealant crap either.

(To be a bit more specific - the repair kit in the photo appears to be the exact model that Tesla used to sell in their Gear Shop - I'm sure it's a standard OEM kit that is white-labeled by various manufacturers.)
Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] 1639616526557

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iwantatesla

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +
I was wondering the same thing. It could be a tire repair kit I didn’t take it out.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks @Iwantatesla!

Having no numeric scale to the Y axis is going to annoy the shit out of me.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Big gulp cup holder.

Sweet thanks. Not bad efficiency for traffic. Do you get a overalls average with the screens for trips etc?

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Did anyone ask about the purchase price? I don’t need specifics but it would be nice to know if there was a price increase from what was configured (and % increase if so). I am trying to compare to the current prices of the R1T (not sure what they were back when he first reserved it).
Sponsored