Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
The conflicting reviews on the rear seat is maddening!

On the First Drive Review (https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-first-drive-review/):

On the interior review video (https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-interior-review/):

Are these reviewers massively different height or something?? Is it cramped or roomy?

The review seems pretty clear to me that the rear seats are not comfortable themselves, and they said Rivian has already redesigned them for the production model..

But, nothing can be done with the "cramped" aspect of the review. The rear legroom is just 36.6 inches which many would not consider "roomy" specs. It's better then most mid-size Trucks but certainly not roomy. But, that can definitely change per reviewer as they noted the difference between short and tall users. Short users that certainly isn't an issue and it can be "roomy", but for tall users 36.6" is not enough room unless a very short person is in front.

Rivian has been pretty careful not to post pictures of people sitting in the backseats and It's pretty clear why :)

Look at this still from the Interior Review, at the time it says "legroom is pretty roomy", can you say that is "roomy"??/ Presumably that's the view of the seat position of someone driving... There's basically zero space back there for legs :) I'm happy to be wrong, but room in that backseat is the deciding factor on whether or not I'm going to spend 70K on this car as it needs to be perfect for me to spend that much.

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven 1630440411678

Overall continue to be disappointed with the cab sizing.. Given the length of the truck and the bed size --- there should be more room.
Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
The review seems pretty clear to me that the rear seats are not comfortable themselves, and they said Rivian has already redesigned them for the production model..

But, nothing can be done with the "cramped" aspect of the review. The rear legroom is just 36.6 inches which many would not consider "roomy" specs. It's better then most mid-size Trucks but certainly not roomy. But, that can definitely change per reviewer as they noted the difference between short and tall users. Short users that certainly isn't an issue and it can be "roomy", but for tall users 36.6" is not enough room unless a very short person is in front.

Rivian has been pretty careful not to post pictures of people sitting in the backseats and It's pretty clear why :)

Look at this still from the Interior Review, at the time it says "legroom is pretty roomy", can you say that is "roomy"??/ Presumably that's the view of the seat position of someone driving... There's basically zero space back there for legs :) I'm happy to be wrong, but room in that backseat is the deciding factor on whether or not I'm going to spend 70K on this car as it needs to be perfect for me to spend that much.

1630440411678.png

Overall continue to be disappointed with the cab sizing.. Given the length of the truck and the bed size --- there should be more room.
I think you're dead on and that still caught my eye during the video too. I would so happily trade the gear tunnel away for more rear legroom. No way to please everyone.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Have they said (or perhaps @DuckTruck or someone who attended the event will know) how the wipers will be controlled? As a former Tesla owner I hated the controls being in the screen, especially since the rain sensing feature was basically useless and all changes to wiper speed required touching the screen.
The Tesla wiper controls are literally the worst. The auto feature is horrible so I usually just end up hitting the button repeatedly on the blinker stalk unless it’s raining really hard. Super annoying.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
1630439814631.png

I am worried the roof glass is going to be too dark. i hope we will be able to see the stars at night but with this shot I'm doubtful.
Also a concern.

Once upon a time, Rivian was going to use an electrochromic roof, so that would have provided the best of both scenarios -- light for night use, and dark for day use. Unfortunately, that feature was scrapped (I believe "cost" was the reason given). Since the headliner/roof was never intended to have a shade screen, Rivian had to make a choice. Redesign a bunch of parts, have a normal piece of glass that will basically cook people half the year, or tint the glass so dark that it can handle the sun, but risk making it essentially-opaque at night.

I would have loved to see the electrochromic remain -- even as a paid option. Alternatively, I wish they had put a little more design work to integrate a motorized shade. But actually, I wish they used a more traditional panoramic roof that opens, like almost every other manufacturer.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The Tesla wiper controls are literally the worst. The auto feature is horrible so I usually just end up hitting the button repeatedly on the blinker stalk unless it’s raining really hard. Super annoying.
I've liked the auto wipers in my last several vehicles. Just because Tesla can't figure it out doesn't mean Rivian won't.

Ronaldinho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 Trans Am, 76 CB750, PDM Max R1T
Clubs

Nice to see how it flips up though, so you can have 2 layers of bags.

2022-Rivian-R1T-31.jpg
Looks like the molded plastic posts in the front corners that the cargo net is attached to would/could be the grocery bag hooks. More cost effective than the mechanism they had on there before?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Rivian R1T offers real-time torque vectoring, delivering power precisely to the corner where it's needed with no delays for clutches to close or viscous couplings to couple.

That's key for such a large vehicle and is usually done poorly, even in the latest vehicles.

We felt the R1T's torque-vectoring superpowers at work: The outside-rear motor powered up and brought the R1T's nose around, and we blasted out of the turn like the Millennium Falcon—and this with four occupants in the cab, several hundred pounds of gear in the bed, and all-terrain tires...

Nerds.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've liked the auto wipers in my last several vehicles. Just because Tesla can't figure it out doesn't mean Rivian won't.

Its the wiper stalk just like any other car I thought ?

Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
There's basically zero space back there for legs :) I'm happy to be wrong, but room in that backseat is the deciding factor on whether or not I'm going to spend 70K on this car as it needs to be perfect for me to spend that much.
I’m in the same place. I have an R1S reservation to potentially replace my model 3 performance and that pic looks as bad as my Model 3. I’ll have to see it in person.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Its the wiper stalk just like any other car I thought ?
While the Motor Trend photos don't appear to show it from a visible angle, previous photos have shown a switch on the front side of the turn signal stalk that is used to control the wipers.

Edit: Added photo from "The Inside Story"

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven Controls

Last edited:

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
So do we think it's safe to assume the press embargo is officially lifted and we'll start getting a plethora of reviews coming in? Or do we reason that MotorTrend got some sort of exclusivity period and we're still a ways off from other reviews?

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’m in the same place. I have an R1S reservation to potentially replace my model 3 performance and that pic looks as bad as my Model 3. I’ll have to see it in person.
One of the CS feedback months ago was that the 2nd row is supposed to slide and tilt. Hopefully that allows a larger2nd row legroom.
Sponsored